Subject: A dice game based on Aquasphere exists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of weeks ago I visited Berlin Brettspiel Con and discovered OctoDice - it's a Pegasus-Spiele German/English dice game based on Aquasphere which was released last year (2015). It's pedigree is not obvious - it's not like the cover says "Aquasphere: the dice game" as everything else does these days (in fact Aquasphere is not even mentioned on the box at all!).

But once I'd noticed the vaguely reminiscent artwork, then as a fan of Aquasphere it was an auto-buy - however it turns out to actually be a pretty cool dice game! (incorporates collecting crystals, expanding lab sections, programming bots, research actions, sub actions, killingcapturing octopods, limited actions - all the things you would hope for from an Aquasphere-based game)

I'd never heard of the game (or seen it mentioned on these forums) so I thought other Aquasphere fans might also be interested to hear of its existence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. You'd think there'd be some attempt to leverage the fans of Aquasphere, but there's virtually nothing on the cover/title to suggest it's related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Wow. You'd think there'd be some attempt to leverage the fans of Aquasphere, but there's virtually nothing on the cover/title to suggest it's related.

Maybe they didn't want to scare off Aquasphere haters laugh

For me Aquasphere was a one-and-done, but I liked this one just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knight wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Maybe they didn't want to scare off Aquasphere haters
It still feels like a marketing mistep. The cover suggests it's a kid's game, but the components suggest it's not really a kid's game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Kabara
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Games awesome, but it also published by a different company in the US. AEG has it here, but it was developed with help from the original creator. I wrote a review about it and am about to do a give away. https://throatpunchgames.com/2016/07/20/ring-side-report-boa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have really enjoyed this game. Quite light, Yahtzee-style dice roller but with some interesting decisions. It doesn't overstay it's welcome, like some dice games can in my opinion. A two player game takes about 20 min.
Also has a nice solo mode which is quite fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.