22 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Good tactics and combos for faction pure MU rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Fowler
Canada
flag msg tools
Lately it seems when playing MU I win some, lose a lot more- but I just can't bring myself to mix up ships/captains/upgrades from different factions- I don't complain when others do, it's just not how I operate. What can I do to avoid making MU look like the Chicago Cubs of AW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
You have the avenger, right? Admiral Worf + avenger =good times.

Also, put kirk on the regent, and maybe a cloaking device, and it becomes a very dangerous target. Add intendants Orders and Ogawa, and you can fire at 8+ twice in 3 rounds.

The ISS enterprise is a decent ship, and the target lock thing is good enough you can run it as a torpedo ship fairly easily. Also, tantalus field is pretty awesome.

Tasha Yar is a good deterrent to killing, or at least revenge for a lost ship.

The Prakesh and the Defiant, if you can get the tech slots, work well with clo0ak/Enhanced Hull plating. WHen cloaked, shields are down, so EHP takes effect, with the +4 evasion. I haven't tried the ISS enterprise this way yet, but it could be dangerous. Just be aware that aux tokens are pains, especially with the defiant who can end up with so many you never get rid of them from damage mitigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Lean on Regent's Flagship, ISS Defiant, and the Prakesh for your base ships. Feel quite free to tap ISS Enterprise and ISS Avenger.

Expect two things: You are going to discard upgrades and you are going to have a few ships covered in stress.

Look for decent card combos.
Jennifer Sisko is a fun counter to Federation shield builds. She also adds a tech slot. One combination is to put her on the ISS Defiant and then equip enhanced hull plating. It is a very beefy 6HP. At that point, you might as well take Admiral Worf.

Prakesh is fun to put Worf on. The extra action bar action makes triggering Worf every turn less debilitating.

Spock combines will with Sulu. You can stack 3 actions on the opening turn of shooting and maintain 2/turn as long as you can do greens.

Tomalak/Alyssa Ogawa/Inverse Tachyon Pulse mesh reasonably well for a support ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Dracomax wrote:
The Prakesh and the Defiant, if you can get the tech slots, work well with clo0ak/Enhanced Hull plating. WHen cloaked, shields are down, so EHP takes effect, with the +4 evasion.

Unless I've missed something, this doesn't work. Enhanced Hull Plating specifies "if your ship is not cloaked" so can't combo with being cloaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
MaskedThespian wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
The Prakesh and the Defiant, if you can get the tech slots, work well with clo0ak/Enhanced Hull plating. WHen cloaked, shields are down, so EHP takes effect, with the +4 evasion.

Unless I've missed something, this doesn't work. Enhanced Hull Plating specifies "if your ship is not cloaked" so can't combo with being cloaked.

You are right. I missed that in theory-crafting. Oh well. it was almost prohibitively expensive in terms of both slots and point anyway.

I've found the defiant to be all around worse than the ISS avenger though. Better maneuvering, better defense, and with an aux, nearly par weaponry. The avenger just last longer than the Defiant in the games I've played, even with the ship ability, and is less inconvenienced by aux tokens to boot.

As for Jennifer Sisko, I've found that they just hang back for two rounds to get everything back up. For the about the same cost, you can field Bareil antos or Ezri Tegan and steal their upgrades for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brunt is a great 1 pointer. Especially if you can tag someone who already has an aux.

He's also really good against ships that have just pulled a come about. Now they're stuck not being able to clear out aux like they wanted, or, if they had a way to clear it, now they still have to deal with an aux they weren't counting on.

Kills their quality and maybe gives you a chance to run away in a chase.

You can also try building up a defensive ship and stick Julian Bashir on it to redirect one of their attacks to where it will be wasted. Could also put Rebellion on Bashir's ship to pretty much take away all their attack dice and give you a free attack. And if Tasha's on there, you can get another free attack in case they do pop the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
The MU tractor beam can come in handy on ships with low CS. I've used it with some effect on some of the ships that have the red 180s. Time it right, and you get to pick their maneuver for them.

I like Jennifer Sisko for the tech slot. The only time she really helps, is if you rush someone, as most likely they'll just sit back the first few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Sylterix wrote:
The MU tractor beam can come in handy on ships with low CS. I've used it with some effect on some of the ships that have the red 180s. Time it right, and you get to pick their maneuver for them.

I like Jennifer Sisko for the tech slot. The only time she really helps, is if you rush someone, as most likely they'll just sit back the first few turns.

If Federation shield upgrades are popular in your area, she is amazing for those. Disabling them destroys the shield(s) and reenabling them doesn't bring them back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, whipped this up

I.S.S. Avenger [16]
- Mr. Spock 7 (Captain) [5]
- - Rebellion [5]
- William T. Riker (Admiral) [4]
- Enhanced Hull Plating [4]
- Type 8 Phaser Array [3]
- Julian Bashir [2]
- Tasha Yar [2]
Ship Total: 41 SP

Fleet Total: 41 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

On the first combat turn, Riker scans. BS for free. Then use Spock to trigger Bashir for free. Spock's aux bumps you to 5 attack, alongside that scan and BS quality (4 without Type 8). And they lose 2 dice on their attack against you.

If it's their heavy hitter, you can also trigger Rebellion to take away another 2 attack dice, and attack again with 5 (or 4).

Now, I'm not sure if Rebellion lets you attack if you're destroyed, which is what Tasha is for. (And if it does, and you are popped, Tasha gets you a third attack in one round!)

41 points might be a bit pricey for a Bashir ship, but in this case it's less a sacrificial ship, and more an attack redirect/punch back and evade ship. But, if it's more of a sacrifice ship you need, save points by dropping the Hull Plating and Type 8 (which you'll drop anyway to stay in faction). You could also move Rebellion to another ship, and let Tasha provide the second attack. Or the other way around.

If there was just one more crew slot, or you're willing to give up Tasha and maybe rely on Rebellion, you could add Garak to take Spock to skill 10. And even disable Spock after he triggers Bashir to add another die to your attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get a hold of one Riker from the Assimilated Target Prime is pretty good. He goes well with Admiral Worf, so you can still get some action economy while using the admirals ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fowler
Canada
flag msg tools
@John Victor- what ship does type 8 phaser array come with? 'Cause I've been searching my cards and haven't found it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lord of the Lash wrote:
@John Victor- what ship does type 8 phaser array come with? 'Cause I've been searching my cards and haven't found it.

The USS Hood. A prize ship for the Q OPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the original poster, that the inhabitants of this faction are not natural allies. Mechanically, if you ignore all the lore, the faction can be used quite effectively "fleet pure" but the resulting fleet might as well be mixed faction in terms of likelihood right?

The same is true of the Independent faction.

Having the Regent Worf on the Avenger is particular bad since that Worf is part of an alliance that destroyed the empire and hunted down all the terrans and made them slaves. To say this combination is implausible doesn't go near far enough right?

It's all legal, and I don't blame the MU players for using every ship and captain they have, but it's not very thematic (and admittedly theme is a minor player at best in STAW).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
It's all legal, and I don't blame the MU players for using every ship and captain they have, but it's not very thematic (and admittedly theme is a minor player at best in STAW).

It's not difficult to build a thematic list for MU. You can do some fun things for MU. We saw in "Through the Looking Glass" we saw a group of MU Vor'Chas and Galors surround Smiley's shuttle. That is easy to do,

Toh'Kaht
MU Vor'Cha
Prakesh
MU Galor.

In "Shattered Mirror" we saw some Galor's and the Regent's Flagship.

Regent's Flagship
Prakesh
MU Galor

Being desperate, it isn't unbelievable that the rebels could scrounge up some mothball ships.

ISS Defiant
ISS Enterprise
ISS Avenger

Hell, Sisko told the MU Jennifer he was going to try and get help from the Romulans. It would be thematic to throw the Terix and Tomalak in there.

If you have the ships and really want to go outside the box you could build a fleet from "Yesterday's Enterprise"

USS Enterprise D
MD Galaxy
USS Pasture

There are plenty of possibilities there. Yes it is not as clear cut as some of the other factions where you can throw just about anything together, but MU has lots of thematic play in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fowler
Canada
flag msg tools
@carbon_dragon- I was talking more about fielding something like a Romulan warbird with a starfleet captain and dominion weapon upgrades, mixing up within the MU faction list doesn't really bother me that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan L
Canada
flag msg tools

There has been some good advice synergy is the secret to mirror

I.R.W. Terix (30)
Tomalak (3)
Alyssa Ogawa (2)
Impulse Drive (3)
Additional Phaser Array (2)
Total (40)

The Terix is doing more green moves with impulse drive and Ogawa is giving you the evade and re-enable and the scan with Tomolock is giving you some decent quality.

Kyana Prime (30)
Calvin Hudson (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Agony Booth (2)
Chroniton Torpedoes (5)
Chroniton Torpedoes (5)
Total (48)

This basic build of the Kyana Prime let's you fire 2 Chroniton tops with BS twice. If you are playing casual with expired resources an extra crew slot for Sakonna is more than worth the cost plus a Dorsal from the prakesh for free

Fleet total: 88

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Latimer
Canada
flag msg tools
Saw this posted here on BGG previously, potential 10 dice attack at range 3 with BS/TL.

I.S.S. Enterprise [22]
- James T. Kirk 6 (Captain) (I.S.S. Enterprise) [4]
- - Intendant's Orders (Regent's Flagship) [2]
- Agony Booth (I.S.S. Enterprise) [3]
- Phaser Barrage (I.S.S. Enterprise) [5]
- Aft Phaser Emitter (I.S.S. Defiant) [1]
- Hikaru Sulu (I.S.S. Enterprise) [4]
- Elim Garak (Regent's Flagship) [3]
Ship Total: 44 SP

Kirk disables Aft Phaser Emitter, Sulu and Garak (+3 attack dice), discard Agony Booth to use Sulu's action and gain a TL and take a BS action. Add this to the 3 from Phaser Barrage and the +1 from having a TL your now at 7 attack @range 3 with TL&BS. You should roll at least the 2 hits/crits required to roll the extra 3 dice from Phaser Barrage. Can then use the TL and BS to re-roll and blanks and convert BS results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heavyguard wrote:
Saw this posted here on BGG previously, potential 10 dice attack at range 3 with BS/TL.

I.S.S. Enterprise [22]
- James T. Kirk 6 (Captain) (I.S.S. Enterprise) [4]
- - Intendant's Orders (Regent's Flagship) [2]
- Agony Booth (I.S.S. Enterprise) [3]
- Phaser Barrage (I.S.S. Enterprise) [5]
- Aft Phaser Emitter (I.S.S. Defiant) [1]
- Hikaru Sulu (I.S.S. Enterprise) [4]
- Elim Garak (Regent's Flagship) [3]
Ship Total: 44 SP

Kirk disables Aft Phaser Emitter, Sulu and Garak (+3 attack dice), discard Agony Booth to use Sulu's action and gain a TL and take a BS action. Add this to the 3 from Phaser Barrage and the +1 from having a TL your now at 7 attack @range 3 with TL&BS. You should roll at least the 2 hits/crits required to roll the extra 3 dice from Phaser Barrage. Can then use the TL and BS to re-roll and blanks and convert BS results.

Could you then use Intendant's Orders to reenable Sulu and Garak, then use Garak to disable Kirk and get +1 on top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wiegeabo wrote:
Could you then use Intendant's Orders to reenable Sulu and Garak, then use Garak to disable Kirk and get +1 on top?

Not until the next round. Intendant's Orders happens during the Planning Phase, not the Activation Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gothca.

Still a good setup. 7-9 alpha strike with quality. And beta strike of 6 with quality.

It's pricey, but you could just slip Delta Shift on there to keep one of the crew from disabling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm kinda a fan of Mirror Spock paired with Mirror Garak (Crew) for the increased initiative. I usually run this combo on the ISS Avenger with Rebellion and Forward Weapons array, and Bashir. Makes it a tough little ship to kill and gets quite a few attack dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I l this variation on the Regent's Flagship:
Regent's Flagship [32]
- James T. Kirk 6 (Captain) [4]
- - Intendant's Orders [2]
- Inverse Tachyon Pulse [2]
- Aft Phaser Emitter [1]
- Alyssa Ogawa [2]
- Elim Garak [3]
- Brunt [1]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Resource: TACTICS [5]

Fleet Total: 52 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

Use the tactics resource for the scan token (and try to have a target lock on beforehand) and this build with Kirk's action will deal between 8 and 10 dice against a -2 evasion every 3ish rounds, or if you are in the middle of other ships, 1 7-9 attack and 1 6-7 attack every 3ish rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.