Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn I read that for example, if you have a blue monk in your guildhall, you can still play a blue monk but you would discard it instead of adding it to your guildhall

Now I've gone back thru the rulebook and didn't see any such thing..but I still feel like I read it somewhere

So could someone set me straight on this? I know you can not play a monk if you already played a monk (in your play area) but I'm referring to playing the same color & profession if you have an identical one in your guildhall

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot play a card as one of your actions if that same card is already in your Guildhall. You can, however, is add that card to your Guildhall via a card's special ability during your turn.

Here is an example:
You have no Monks in your Guildhall and for your first action you play the Blue Monk and carry out that card's special ability (moving a card from your hand to your Guildhall). For your second action you play a Red Bard (you don't have any Bards in your Guildhall) and you look through the discard pile in order to complete the Bard's special ability. You can, if you want, take a Blue Monk from the discard pile and add it directly to your Guildhall in exchange for another card. When you complete your turn and clean up your action area you would have to discard the first Blue Monk played because you now have a Blue Monk in your Guildhall as a result of using the Red Bard's special ability.

Doesn't happen all that often, but it is a legal move that may be necessary in some situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the Trader in the original game explicitly says in the rules you cannot added colors you already have into one of the guild chapters you move cards to. Is this version different in that regard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules haven't changed. Note that the Trader card (which in Guildhall Fantasy is called the Rogue) is not in Fellowship - it is in Coalition.

The "Duplicate Dos and Don'ts" section in the rules states "You can place a given profession and color in your guildhall if that same card is already in your action area". When you close out your turn you have to discard one of the duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esterjey wrote:
The rules haven't changed. Note that the Trader card (which in Guildhall Fantasy is called the Rogue) is not in Fellowship - it is in Coalition.

The "Duplicate Dos and Don'ts" section in the rules states "You can place a given profession and color in your guildhall if that same card is already in your action area". When you close out your turn you have to discard one of the duplicates.

The key word there is Action Area. You could always do that; just not duplicate cards into an existing guild chapter. I don't own these new versions, but was curious if this thread revealed any changes to rules in these new versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
esterjey wrote:

The key word there is Action Area. You could always do that; just not duplicate cards into an existing guild chapter. I don't own these new versions, but was curious if this thread revealed any changes to rules in these new versions.

So you can play a blue monk into your guildhall even if you have a blue monk in your action area
But you can not play a blue monk in your action area if you already have a blue monk in your guildhall ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
esterjey wrote:

So you can play a blue monk into your guildhall even if you have a blue monk in your action area
But you can not play a blue monk in your action area if you already have a blue monk in your guildhall ?

I can only speak to the original Trader rules and orginal placement rules. It my understanding, most all the powers are the same in this new version of the game.

That said, page 3 of the original rulebook says :

Quote:
You cannot play a card of a given profession and color if that same card is already in your guildhall.

and page 6 says of the Trader (which I have no idea is now called the Monk)

Quote:
Trader - Swap cards in your guildhall with cards in one other player’s guildhall. Any trade is legal as long as it does not end with duplicate cards in any player’s guildhall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
esterjey wrote:

And the reason I make the distinction between place and play, is because in the original rules, you could not play a card to your action area if you already had it in a guild chapter, but you could perform an action (like the Trader or Weaver) that would allow you to then place the same color of profession into your existing guild hall chapter.

A good example of why you might want to do this -

Say you had a chapter of Weavers and were only missing the Blue one to complete it
You have two Blue Weavers in your hand
You can legally play your Blue Weaver to your Action Area
Use that Weavers power to then place the other Blue Weaver from your hand directly into the existing guild chapter to complete it
Flip it over as completed
Then when you reconcile your Action area at the end of turn, start a new Weaver chapter with the Blue Weaver you played to perform the Action from the Action area.

edited with better formatting for clarity

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so..

So is my statement below correct then?

You can play a blue monk into your guildhall even if you have a blue monk in your action area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I think so..

So is my statement below correct then?

You can play a blue monk into your guildhall even if you have a blue monk in your action area

Not to be pedantic, but you cannot ever play anything directly to your guildhall. You play cards to your action area. Only after your two actions are resolved do you place your played cards from your action area into your guildhall chapters. So the answer then is no.

But if you are asking if you can place a blue monk into your guildhall when you have a blue monk in your play (let's call it Action) area (the placement being caused by carrying out a character's action), then the answer to your question is then yes, you can.

The second statement is correct - You can not play a blue <insert any profession here> to your action area if you already have a blue <insert same profession here> in your guildhall.

At least this is the way the original game played and I expect it's the same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was careless on my play/place

I think I follow.

I've only played twice so I don't know all the powers offhand, but it sounds like there's a few cards whose action allows you to place a card directly into your guildhall, so in that case you could have the situation where you had spent your first action playing a blue monk to you play area and carry out its action.

Then your second action, you play another card into your play area and it may have an ability that allows you to place a card directly into your guild (so that's how you could have placed an identical card into your play area and your guildhall on the same turn)

In that case you just discard the duplicate card that is in your play area unless you were able to complete a chapter for that profession

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esterjey wrote:
You've got it!

I know Guildhall isn't a complex game by any means, but for some reason I just wasn't processing the do's and do nots of duplicate cards

Thank you all for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes you feel any better, I picked up the original game on a whim at BGG.con a few years ago, when there were not a lot of other owners on the Geek to confer with for rules questions. My friends and I played the game for the first year believing you had to have exactly the number of cards in you guild chapters to trigger their abilities. Like you could only do their action if you had exactly 0, 2, or 4 of a Weaver, not 1, or 3 for example.

It wasn't until the designer herself came on the thread and told me that was wrong, it was at least those numbers. The way we had played it made it much more tactical, but much harder to trigger abilities, but I was glad to finally learn the truth, and it became a smoother game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.