GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,806 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Hostage Negotiator» Forums » General

Subject: Worth the extra $40? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

Brand new to HN. Have been waiting for the 3rd printing so I can finally get my hands on a copy. I also just now saw the KS campaign for the expansion. Looks like something else to add to the list!

But I'm very hesitant to have to pledge $90 in order to get both games. I mean, I can buy HN online for what, $17? And I can pledge for the expansion for $35. Yet for me to get both games through the KS campaign, it will cost $90.

Now of course what I haven't mentioned so far is that, the $90 also includes all the abductor packs and a few other items. So the question is - as a newbie to the game - are the abductor packs worth the extra $40 expenditure?

But of course you can't answer that! After all, you don't know me, do you? How could you answer that question unless you know me... what my budget looks like, what I like to play, what my free time looks like, etc.

So instead, answer the question for yourself. Are they worth it for you? Any replies to that question will be very valuable.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me Hostage Negatiator is a great game with very little set up time and a relatively brief play time.

Now, I consider the abductor packs expansions. I have stopped buying expansions in general as they do see way to little time on the table. Sure, it is always cool to get something new for a game you like, but then again if a game you like is played say once a year as there are so many games you like, why bother buying an expansion? So I only buy expansions to games that really get played frequently. Hostage Negotiator clearly is one of these games.

The four abductor packs enrichen the game experience largely and play very differently from the base game - to me they are well worth the extra dollars despite being just an add on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth it in my opinion.

It's like having several seasons of a TV show you love, or a few games in the same videogame franchise - familiar setting and entertainment... but different choices, narrative and experiences.

Well worth $40 to have new challenges and different scenarios that each offer some something new, yet are still reassuringly familiar.

Just my 10p*.

Steve.

*UK version of offering a 10c opinion. Might actually be less now, due to Brexit
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:

Just my 10p*.

Steve.

*UK version of offering a 10c opinion. Might actually be less now, due to Brexit

You just received 10 GG as a compensation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an individual choice I guess. Yes it is more than you could find online (although I've heard others complain it was more expensive elsewhere). OTOH, with the abductor packs it becomes more of a bargain and then lumped in with the new expansion you save shipping. Finally, the KS does help an Independant game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I own HN1 and all of the abductor packs but do I really want to go with an HN2 version? My opinion:

Gameplay is the same.
Adds "alert markers" & 3 new abductor new packs. Easily be implemented into HN1.
The expansion box and dividers are a nice idea.
(But, I could easily make my own box with dividers.)
A larger play board - why? I prefer the smaller footprint.
Woman negotiator... meh, don't care.

Conclusion:
About the only thing I'd be interested in is the expansion packs. So I'm going hold off and wait until I can buy just those alone... on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the habit of playing Hostage Negotiator like a video game. I won't allow myself to move on to the next abductor until I beat the current one. So if you tend to play like I do, the more "levels" the better. If you play where you play one abductor over and over and try to do better each time then you'll probably fine with the three that comes with the base game.

I love the different abductors as they each add a different twist to the game and add different levels of difficulty. I guess it all depends on how much you will plan to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as cost, coolstuffinc has the older abductor packs on sale at $6 (vs $9 regular). You're getting 7 packs plus 2 negotiator packs for your extra $$$. The negotiator packs could be very difficult to get if you want them - they make the game slightly easier (but you can tweak difficulty) but do add to the story if you like that. I use them but rarely use their abilities.

As for would I spend $90 vs $35... I'd probably just spend $17 on the original, wait for more reviews on Crime Wave, and go from there with the expansion and abductor packs at retail.

Unless you a) can afford it and b) have to have it all if you like something and c) don't mind it sitting on your shelf or would trade/sell it or parts of it if it wasn't your thing.

I like the game and may do a group buy for the new stuff (especially if they add one in for just the new stuff - right now that pledge level doesn't exist!?) or may just wait for retail. $90 for a game I haven't even played? When there is a $17 entry point and most of it will be available retail later? Probably not.

Either way, I hope you enjoy it once you get your hands on it, regardless of acquisition path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a longtime fan of the game. I made the Print and Play before it was released and backed the first Kickstarter with all the season 1 abductor packs. Definitely a great thematic, light game.

Having said that, $90 sounds like a lot of money to me if you have never played it before. I would definitely just buy the base game and add expansions to it as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:

I own HN1 and all of the abductor packs but do I really want to go with an HN2 version? My opinion:

Gameplay is the same.
Adds "alert markers" & 3 new abductor new packs. Easily be implemented into HN1.
The expansion box and dividers are a nice idea.
(But, I could easily make my own box with dividers.)
A larger play board - why? I prefer the smaller footprint.
Woman negotiator... meh, don't care.

Conclusion:
About the only thing I'd be interested in is the expansion packs. So I'm going hold off and wait until I can buy just those alone... on sale.

Depends on what you mean by same gameplay. There are new abductors, new conversation cards, and new terror cards. Those are my main reason for backing.

I agree about the board size, I also like a small foot print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm debating as well, as a new player. The game sounds fun, I like Police Precinct but it's a very 'big' game. Having a quick, easy to set up, small foot print, tense and themed solo game is always a good thing.

So I don't have anything. I generally lean toward "buy it all! you'll either want it later, or be able to sell as a lot." From the pricing (looks like HN1 and 4 Abductor packs can be had for ~40 from CSI) obviously there will be the ubiquitous KS premium in pricing, so HN2 with packs 5, 6, 7 for 50 (plus $10 US shipping) should be about 35 bucks if the later retailer pricing is similar. So that's not really a "bargain" unless the stretch goals are worth at least 20 bucks to you. The only KS exclusives are one card and 4 meeples, it looks like.

The all-in pack at 90$, though, is closer to a value based solely on the math - 2 x $16.50 ($33), plus 9 x $6 (assuming the Negotiator Cards will be available for about the same price as the Abductor packs) = $87; the exclusives should be "worth" at least 3 bucks. (If 6 is a sale price, and usually they're 9, that raises it to $114, which is 14 bucks more than the KS including US shipping.)
That said, my question is, does someone who doesn't have HN1, need (or want) HN1 and HN2? Some of the components in HN2 look like they would "replace" those in HN1. I like the rules to combine Convo and Terror cards, and I generally like "more" stuff in my expansions (Seasons, Sentinels) - but is there enough unique stuff between HN1 and HN2 to make it worthwhile, and how "modular" is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
is there enough unique stuff between HN1 and HN2 to make it worthwhile, and how "modular" is it?

The only things that you will have duplicates of with HN1 and HN2 are the board (but one will be larger), the dice, the threat marker and the conversation marker. You will also have another set of hostage meeples, but these are male and female instead of the generic ones from the first set.

All the conversation cards, terror cards, demand and escape cards, as far as I know, are new. There are rules included to combine the terror and conversation cards from both HN1 and HN2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.