Hide
6 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused about blocking Terrain. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
I played this recently and it was a fantastic games. I do have a few questions though which don't seem to have been covered in the manual.

- If you have a ranged unit on one of the hills, can a ranged unit on land fire on them?

- If two opposing ranged units are both on adjacent or close by hill, do they fire at each other normally as they are on same level terrain, or is there blocked line of sight?

- I didn't quite get how a bridge gets put into play, the manual says each player can place their own ford once. I don't recall they went into how to place a bridge, is it done instead of a ford?

- I had an argument with the guy I was playing with, he said that all ranged units that have a close shot can fire when it is his attacking turn, even Melee units. I told him no, it is only the groups he has activated (maybe 3) during the order phase that can attack.

- If a unit is activated, do they have to move? or I can stay in the same place and only attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) yes, unless terrain or another unit blocks line of sight (not an issue with melee)
2) terrain blocks line of sight only between attacker and defender. If either unit is on terrain, that terrain does not affect line of sight
3) certain scenarios allow it
4) only ordered units can move and/or attack (or do nothing at all)
5) see 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Dude
msg tools
Moe45673 wrote:
1) yes, unless terrain or another unit blocks line of sight (not an issue with melee)
2) terrain blocks line of sight only between attacker and defender. If either unit is on terrain, that terrain does not affect line of sight
3) certain scenarios allow it
4) only ordered units can move and/or attack (or do nothing at all)
5) see 4

Thanks Moe, just one question regarding your first reply. If a Melee on land is next to a hill hex with a range unit on top of it, can the melee unit attack them as normal or do they have to be on a hill adjacent to them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The melee unit could attack with no problem. Blocking terrain really only affects line of sight for intervening hexes, but it doesn't affect the line of sight if the attacker or target is in the blocking terrain hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Dude
msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
The melee unit could attack with no problem. Blocking terrain really only affects line of sight for intervening hexes, but it doesn't affect the line of sight if the attacker or target is in the blocking terrain hex.

Thanks, now it's clear. I wish they added something to the rule, any Melee unit fighting another ranged or Melee unit on a hill would be at a disadvantage and roll one less die. It would make sense because it is not easy to move up a hill and swing at an enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is meant to be abstracted. C&C napoleonics does have more complex rules, including rules about rolling less dice when fighting uphill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.