$30.00
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TAC has been published in a distributed manner so each plane has been its own ruleset as well.

Would it be more useful to make this the central ruleset and have the planes as expansions?

I would see this item as being the main area for discussions about the game, especially rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nelson
msg tools
TAC was designed to have each download as a self-contained game. However, error correction and amended rules make this model a challenge; There are a couple dozen aircraft now, and updating all those .pdfs is a hassle.

The Flight Operations Manual allows corrections, changes, and additions to be done to a single file.

Individual planes are still going to have their own rulesets along with plane-specific rules: Fighters that can't drop bombs don't get the rules for bombing, for example, and only aircraft with 3 or more Energy get the rule for the Wingover maneuver. This avoids overloading new players with non-applicable rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP - there should be one "Table Air Combat" game page with aircraft entered as expansions. This core rules entry makes a good landing place for the main game page.

Very nifty game by the way. But the repetition of core rules throughout the expansions, intermixed with specific rules and scenarios make the whole thing seem more confusing and ponderous than it really is - hopefully the package can be tightened up. I'd limit aircraft kits to coversheet, description, special rules, scenarios and templates. Players would simply print the lot up and add aircraft specific rules as an appendix to their core rules binder.

I'm sticking to the ETO for now but look forward to new material...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jack
msg tools
I like the fact that you can just grab a couple of aircraft sets and go, with the rules bundled in. I think this makes it easy to pick up and encourages players to try TAC out before taking the plunge. The Flight Manual is also really useful as a reference, once you have moved beyond the basic two sets of aircraft. I'd really like to see a bundle like the Battle of Britain one for other theatres e.g. North Africa. This could be done with just the manual and the individual plane counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.