Middle-Earth Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Game discontinued? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot find any information on FFG's website, despite the online rulebook pointing towards it.

Has this game been removed from product / cancelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
I cannot find any information on FFG's website, despite the online rulebook pointing towards it.

Has this game been removed from product / cancelled?

I think so. I had to buy a 2nd hand copy as I could not find a new one anywhere.

C'mon FFG, if there was ever a game crying out for a new edition, this would be it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiewarrior07 wrote:

I think so. I had to buy a 2nd hand copy as I could not find a new one anywhere.

C'mon FFG, if there was ever a game crying out for a new edition, this would be it!

Same situation AND thought here. Now that Mansions of Madness is getting a second edition app-powered, it's time to do the same with MEQ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still find copies in the marketplace here for around regular retail. I like MEQ, but it feels a little "gamey". If nothing else, it gave me some good painting practice for me to get back into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the 3rd or 4th thread of this type on this game.

Just about everyone who has this game wonders why it was let go. It is also common of owners to ask the question of why even a small expansion was never released?

I've been bewildered by many of the game direction decisions FFG has made but this one has always plain stumped me. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given what they've done with Descent and now Mansions of Madness, I'd love to see an app added to this that can automate the Sauron player and maybe streamline the overall experience.

MEQ is my favourite game that I don't play - great idea, but the need for a one vs many, and the sheer size (length and table-space) is just a killer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:

Just about everyone who has this game wonders why it was let go. It is also common of owners to ask the question of why even a small expansion was never released?

I've been bewildered by many of the game direction decisions FFG has made but this one has always plain stumped me. soblue

And no one had inquired with FFG themselves regarding MEQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Gamer DC wrote:

And no one had inquired with FFG themselves regarding MEQ?

I can't imagine there haven't been inquiries, but with like everything else it's the number of voices and what that translates into revenue for FFG. Without that, I fear, the best we can hope for is that FFG sells the copyright to another game company that sees a market. I personally treasure this game and will continue to bring it to the table regardless. My only wish would be a fix for the wonky tie breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it's because FFG is still trying to find a way to retheme the game to the Star Wars universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:

Actually, I think it's quite obvious.

This game was released in 2009 and has 5K owners on BGG.
Mansions of Madness was released in 2011 and has 11K owners on BGG.
Descent 2nd Edition was released in 2012 and has 14K owners on BGG.

Now, those aren't sales numbers, but we can expect them to be approximately indicative of overall sales. FFG didn't produce any expansions or new editions because this game was a commercial flop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:

Of course, this isn't by far as good as an official expansion, but anyone with ideas can participate in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1450526/creating-new-heroes

Maybe you'll find something to like there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen that thread and there is some great stuff there - thanks for linking me there again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seriously needs more Encounter Cards more than anything to help break it up some. Some extra quests would be cool and perhaps characters as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
This game seriously needs more Encounter Cards more than anything to help break it up some. Some extra quests would be cool and perhaps characters as well.

Extra quests for the characters (both starting and advanced) looks imperative to me. The Sauron player usually knows exactly where the heroes are going to be after their first movements. And places his plots accordingly (i.e. in the farthest region), or at least in the most annoying way possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MEQ is a good game, but it has a few shortcomings that, in the end, push it behind too many other things that I'd rather play. So there it sits on my shelf, unplayed...but still watching. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Png
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
MEQ is a good game, but it has a few shortcomings that, in the end, push it behind too many other things that I'd rather play. So there it sits on my shelf, unplayed...but still watching. sauron

I have not gotten to it too, but nice to know that it is OOP. Got to try it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I suspect it's because FFG is still trying to find a way to retheme the game to the Star Wars universe

As mentioned in some other threads here on the Geek, I think this could be great as a Star Wars game. Think something like Palpatine in place of Sauron, and the Heroes as Jedi, trying to stop the Sith Lord's influence from spreading and trying to prevent/dissuade other systems from joining the Separatists!

senorcoo wrote:
MEQ is a good game, but it has a few shortcomings...

I agree with that. However, this is definitely one of those games where the process, the adventure, the story is really the important thing, so I can get past some of the shortcomings

This is on the agenda for an upcoming game day next week for a friend and I, but if we don't get to it (might do Star Wars: Rebellion or WotR instead), then maybe I'll try out the solo variant! https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/501936/middle-earth-que...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5k owners on BGG is not a "commercial flop".

This game is in desperate need of rule clarifications. There still remains no clear consensus on fundamental questions, despite repeated attempts to get a clear answer in detail from FFG.

I don't mind the large footprint at all. But perhaps it could be optional, as for other recent games like Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
5k owners on BGG is not a "commercial flop".

5k owners after 7 years. Compare to Descent 2E with 14k owners after only 4 years. Descent sold roughly 5 times better than MEQ.

Chaos in the Old World is another FFG game from 2009. It has 11k owners.

Maybe "flop" is too strong a word (though speaking from my own experience, I don't know anybody else in my area who owns a copy of it), but I don't think it's surprising where FFG has chosen to focus their efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If say MEQ was probably more of a "didn't meet sales expectations" than " flop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
If say MEQ was probably more of a "didn't meet sales expectations" than " flop".

I'm in total agreement with your statement. A flop would suggest a sub par game, which it certainly is not. Despite the lack of wider support it still holds a 7.4 ranking and 72nd in the thematic category. It possess good replayability and enough complexity to keep veteran gamers well engaged. My only criticism of the game is the anti-climatic tie breaker which has only happened once in my experience. It stands, in my mind, as an excellent parallel (prequel?) story that nicely captures Tolkien's Middle-Earth. Not quite the game and story that unfolds in WOTR, but it certainly stands on its own merits as an epic game set in that universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Okay. To me those mean the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flop would be a game that didn't sell at all and even after market is not desired. This game is still desired, granted by a small niche, but if I put my painted copy up for sale in the marketplace, I'm sure someone would buy it. Can't say the same for some other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Gamer DC wrote:

Actually, I think it's quite obvious.

This game was released in 2009 and has 5K owners on BGG.
Mansions of Madness was released in 2011 and has 11K owners on BGG.
Descent 2nd Edition was released in 2012 and has 14K owners on BGG.

Now, those aren't sales numbers, but we can expect them to be approximately indicative of overall sales. FFG didn't produce any expansions or new editions because this game was a commercial flop.

Did FFG do that with any other popular game in the past?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When thinking about an expansion, what is on your mind?
What kind of things would you like to see added or expanded in MEQ?

More of the same (quests, plots, encounters, heroes, monsters, equipment, characters,...)?
Or different things that aren't in the game right now? Like group fighting rules, neutral events/monsters that can harm both heroes and Sauron,...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.