Mech Command RTS» Forums » General

Subject: Video up! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
https://youtu.be/9h0THeBKwRk

First video is up. I really don't know what to think at this point.
What is light chassis for example advantage over heavy one? It's faster, but who cares about speed if you can just sit on one place, and every time light one scores hit on you, you will score equall ammount if not more hits on him, to due better/more weapons?

Unless it's mission, so there is little point in trying to kill opponent, so you just zip in to do mission objective and win the game. No point in trying to take down heavily armored foe, who in this case also has no point in being heavily armored, so can also take light mech to go for speed and mission objective.

this auto hit/auto damage, I also don't know what to think of it. There are no modifiers. No, I am more agile, have cover, camo, etc. or anything ,just, I see you, you are hit and damaged automatically the moment I see you. Also the moment you see me, same happens to me.

If 2 same mechs have same stuff, and you just mirror your opponents moves, you will destroy each other at same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that some of the upgrade cards provide a counter to the damage taken, maybe some of the different chassis types have different effects on damage taken or what upgrades you can have????

People seem to playing in quite a calm manner on the video - in reality I can see players trying to move those crystals around much more quickly and shouting hit on ... multiple times then a player moving and saying no I moved before the last hit.

Also players could easily make 'mistakes' with crystal placements and no one would notice as they would be to busy managing their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say this video is quite worrying. Nothing about that gameplay is appealing to me right now. I'll hold onto my pledge a bit longer, to see what other information comes out, but its not positive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
I am in the same boat. I was quite excited about game, but this video really doesn't attract me. SUddenly giga-robo doesn't look like a bad mecha alternative. Although AC has better looking minis in my oppinion, but giga-robo has more interesting gameplay from what I saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't really know what to make of the real time element. During video it seems that they play quite slow and calm manner and it seems allright. But I can just see me and my friends trying to rush moves and toppling over buildings etc.

Maybe the limited amount of energy (crystals) is the thing that you can't just rush like a crazy. Also it would be nice to have something like smoke which would prevent some heavy armor stuff from camping.

Have to wait if they show more before I decide. Definitely need more if I'm going to keep my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I'm a full-blown Giga-Robo fanboy (see my avatar), but I was curious to see what Armored Core did with "real time" gameplay.

But I don't understand how this can be considered "real time" when there doesn't seem to be a penalty for waiting around. If the round doesn't end until all players have turned off their LED lights, why wouldn't you save all your crystals (except for what you spend on counter-attacks), and wait until everyone had turned off their lights, and THEN move and make your attacks?

Of course, if that's the nature of the game, then it means that nobody will be in any hurry to spend their crystals, which seems to match the unhurried pace of the video.

And on top of that, there's the constant "hit on orange, hit on blue, hit on green" chatter... but if you want to put a hit on a player who's damage dish is on the opposite side of the table, what do you do? Do you lean across the table to put your cubes in, or do you ask somebody else to do it?

If I'm missing something, please let me know. I don't want to be unreasonably critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ani P.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
No problem at all Nate. We're Giga-Robo fans too.

The full gameplay video will probably answer all of these questions. This is a new type of gameplay so it sort of requires seeing it all at least once to have it all click.

Light vs Heavy chassis. They both have advantages and so most teams use a lighter and a heavier mech, but other combinations are viable.

Mission objectives: Most missions except for a few starting maps have multiple objectives. Teams need to complete 2 or 3 of these to 'WIN' the mission; but even if you are not the mission winner (which advances your campaign victory) completing any of the missions will bring currency and prestige to pay for upgrades. A good existing example of this is Arcadia Quest's campaign structure. Also note that in some missions teams have alternative objectives based on what faction they are playing.

Damage Dishes: these are placed on the opposing team's side of the table at the beginning of the action phase. During the damage phase they are given back to to the owner, hopefully full of damage, for them to deal with. This is because of the brisk pace and simultaneous actions; you dont want to be leaning over the table to drop your damage blocks off.

Two Minute Timer: While it is often not necessary, the core set comes with a 2 minute timer. This time limit allows players plenty of time to perform their actions, but limits camping. Players do need to avoid running out of energy out in the open while their opponents are still active, as yes, they would be sitting ducks. This situation often requires a team-mate to boost over to cover their ally. Energy conservation and choosing your moves is essential. The rewards operating tactically and keeping an eye on what your opponents are doing. This is one of the reasons why the moves at even pace. Frantic, rushed play can leave you vulnerable for the remainder of action phase. Advanced players move slow and steady.

Tutorial Video: the gameplay featured within the video is part of the training period. Once the other aspects of the come online, such flurries of attacks are often the climax of a mission.

Tracking: Despite the game assuming a certain degree of trust amongst players (this is a board game for your friends and family, not a tournament, organized play system) tracking every action is built into the game. During the damage phase, it is clear how much damage any player has caused THAT round, as well as a specific idea of how much they moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ani P.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
Interesting & possibly relevant quote form the KickStarter comments:

"Love the general design philosophy and look of this game, although I expect it will take us a while to take turns and concisely as the devs/playtesters do in the video!"-Damien Szymanowicz

@Damien Szymanowicz, thank you! Interestingly enough, that tutorial video actually features the very first round of 2 players that had never played the game before. We explained the rules, pressed record, and played that round. THATS why they are so moving so fast. Experienced players move a much slower steadier pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.