Subject: Expansion heroes! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb

I just found pictures of the two new heroes!
Conor & Max from Albion and Akiko & Jiro from Togawa.
Awesome artwork as usual!

http://mulpix.com/post/17854094260061102.html

http://mulpix.com/post/17847049360089163.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these real? What's the source?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://mulpix.com/mr_werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_werewolf is Jakob's handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Togawa must be female, because not smoking.

There must be some sort of crossover with Anno 1503 where villages can't upgrade into towns without a steady supply of tobacco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa - that monkey looks pretty evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:

You look evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:

You look evil

Just imagine how evil the two of us together would be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First one looks like he belongs in The Grizzled. Same kind of facial expression, stance, etc ... What I first thought when I saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe they're going with that stereotype samurai gear for Japan. they hadn't worn that for over 50 years. At least do a little research and look at what they war during the Russo-Japanes war (which was early 1900s...) to see something that fits a bit more with the setting.

That's right Samurai stuff sells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abel_set wrote:

woah. He's a lucky man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
I can't believe they're going with that stereotype samurai gear for Japan. they hadn't worn that for over 50 years. At least do a little research and look at what they war during the Russo-Japanes war (which was early 1900s...) to see something that fits a bit more with the setting.

Maybe not everyone in that faction wears the same stuff. That could be armor her grandfather used to wear and she uses it as a way to honor him.

Or perhaps in this setting, during war, she has to wear whatever she can find because resources are limited?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

You're right, that samurai armour is so unrealistic next to that mech.

Perhaps you have forgotten that this is an alternative history to our world... one in which the Togawa Shogunate clearly was triumphant against the dishonourable forces of the failed Meiji Revolution. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondoron wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

You're right, that samurai armour is so unrealistic next to that mech.

Perhaps you have forgotten that this is an alternative history to our world... one in which the Togawa Shogunate clearly was triumphant against the dishonourable forces of the failed Meiji Revolution. I love it.

Let's hope the mechs don't look like walking shrines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

Let's hope the mechs don't look like walking shrines.

You can see a preview from the new factions mechs in the Update #13 from the KS. LINK

I´ll try direct link ti the images, maybe it work:

Mechs from the Japanese-inspired faction.

Mechs from the Celtic-inspired faction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapu Kapu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here there is one mech in the background
http://mulpix.com/post/1205994969445214322.html

And this mech seems to be the same as this one:
http://mulpix.com/post/17849318056067154.html

I think the mechs of the togawa shogunate will look like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links to more images. They all do look cool. Just a little disappointed they went the samurai route because it feels a little out of place. Maybe it's just her, maybe it's that other story. Also, I admit samurai stuff is more visually interesting than 20th century Japanese stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

Woah, woah there. First, it's an alternate universe. Anything goes. Second, Jakub did tons of research before designing the Togawa faction. Third, Jakub and I are both very passionate about Japanese culture, and any insinuation that we're stereotyping is way off base. I studied Japanese for 10 years, including summers and years abroad in Hiroshima and Kyoto. Clearly there is no disrespect here to the people of Japan (in our universe) or Towaga (in the Scythe universe). Perhaps instead you could note that, like the other women in Scythe, Akiko isn't oversexualized--she's dressed in a manner that would allow her to explore the wild areas around the Factory and fight when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the japanese faction will get gundams Jamey?

jameystegmaier wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Woah, woah there. First, it's an alternate universe. Anything goes. Second, Jakub did tons of research before designing the Togawa faction. Third, Jakub and I are both very passionate about Japanese culture, and any insinuation that we're stereotyping is way off base. I studied Japanese for 10 years, including summers and years abroad in Hiroshima and Kyoto. Clearly there is no disrespect here to the people of Japan (in our universe) or Towaga (in the Scythe universe). Perhaps instead you could note that, like the other women in Scythe, Akiko isn't oversexualized--she's dressed in a manner that would allow her to explore the wild areas around the Factory and fight when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art in this game is phenomenal and I love the mechanized alternate reality!

I am so curious as to how these two new factions were chosen. Both seem to be a good deal removed from the action in Eastern Europa. As noted in Mr. Werewolf's hashtags, the two characters are Scotish and Japanese. There were huge people groups skipped, in between say Russia and Japan, and I am wondering what kind of thought processes went into this decision? I am imagining that building up the lore and the story of Scythe will be a big part of the expansion. How are these two characters going to fit in?

Thanks Jamey for all of your work on this game and on others. Viticulture has been the go to game in our house for a while, but Scythe has taken our dining room table by storm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken: You'll see a detailed backstory in the expansion rules, but I think the big hint for now is the name of the expansion: Invaders from Afar. It takes place after the more adjacent factions have been empire-building around the Factory for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
Thanks for the links to more images. They all do look cool. Just a little disappointed they went the samurai route because it feels a little out of place. Maybe it's just her, maybe it's that other story. Also, I admit samurai stuff is more visually interesting than 20th century Japanese stuff.

For what it's worth, the Scandinavian countries haven't been using Viking helmets since, well, the Vikings. Yet they do in scythe! With no horns! Now that's research!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin: Sure, and Scandanavian countries also had mechs in the 1920s, right?

You all know how fiction works, right? It's an alternate universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

You're right, I'm a bit out of line. Also, I don't doubt both of your research and your passions. I just feel the Samurai look is a easy go to and rarely is anything else of Japanese military is ever portrayed... although, now that I think about it, do we really want to "romanticize" 20th century Japanese militarily? Maybe not. I take back what I said earlier. That's why you guys are the pros. My sincerest apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think i've just witnessed my first ever internet apology.
Fair play to you, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.