Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Crimean ability, Wayfare, you can move from anywhere to your home base. I assume you can carry resources with you when doing this.

Could you then leave those resources there, pretty much protecting them from being stolen? Could you then just create a supply chain of producing then moving those resources back to home base for storage?

Haven't tried this yet in a game to see how powerful it would be. Sure seems like it would allow you to stockpile with no fear of military action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not your own base but an inactive base. Meaning to a base that no one owns. Not sure why you would do it since you can't build in any base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
It's not your own base but an inactive base. Meaning to a base that no one owns. Not sure why you would do it since you can't build in any base.

Actually it says, "Move from a territory or home base to any inactive faction's home base or your own."

It's true, you can't build there, but that's not the point. Using the method I described, you could use it as a stockpile of goods that are 100% safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg 4 of the manual

"you may only spend resources from territories you currently control"

Your home base is not a territory (from the same page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While technically its possible to do that, any resources that you put there cannot be spent by you. I believe the rule states that you may only spend resources from territories under your control (having a wooden or plastic figure present in the hex). The home base is just that, a home base. It is not a territory that can be controlled by anyone, its just where you start off from and doesn't have a hex around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since the home base isn't a territory you can control, any resources there at the end of the game don't count towards the points for resources you control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be an interesting gambit if you had one of the objectives that required you to stockpile a certain number or type of resources. One couldn't claim the objectives while the resources were on the home base, but it could be useful if trying to assemble, say, nine of a resource over multiple turns. Once everything is good to go, move off the home base carrying the resources and claim the objective.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, but I like it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think from this, you can do a move action with resources to your home base. Then a second move action (a future turn, or from a double move factory card) to get them back into a normal territory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
I still think from this, you can do a move action with resources to your home base. Then a second move action (a future turn, or from a double move factory card) to get them back into a normal territory?

Yes.

As has been mentioned:
1) Wayfare allows the Crimean character and mechs to move to any unused faction base OR the Crimean base.
2) The base is not a territory, so resources cannot be used while there, and cannot be left there. The last part I seem to recall reading Jamey making that clarification a little while ago.

So, as far as I understand, it is perfectly legal to use Wayfare to transport resources through a base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you could do that, but based on my experience through 7 plays, it should be unnecessary except to maybe hide them from invaders. But you wouldn't want to do it without the Speed upgrade so you could immediately move it off so its spendable.

Also note that only Mechs and the Character get the abilities. Using a single worker to do this isn't allowed, as they can't choose to enter a home base with their own movement. They have to be transported or forced to retreat.

Instead of trying to hide, just run to another area with the Wayfare that's still open and move out. Or, stand your ground and add more mechs to the place where defense is needed, and start bolstering.

So while theoretically possible... you'll lose trying. Its an incredible amount of time being wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Dlthorpe wrote:

Yes.

As has been mentioned:
1) Wayfare allows the Crimean character and mechs to move to any unused faction base OR the Crimean base.
2) The base is not a territory, so resources cannot be used while there, and cannot be left there. The last part I seem to recall reading Jamey making that clarification a little while ago.

So, as far as I understand, it is perfectly legal to use Wayfare to transport resources through a base.

Yep, Jamey's clarification:

jameystegmaier wrote:
Chris: The Crimean faction can transport resources with them to the home bases, but they can't leave them there.

Scott: Resources never move, but they can be transported. Crimea can use Wayfare to transport resources onto their home bases, but resources can only be spent from territories, not home bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure exactly what "can't leave them there" means -- the game isn't going to force me to transport them off in my next move, right? I'm guessing it just means that it's in some twilight zone until it gets transported off the home base.

So I could use it to stockpile resources, but for it to count in scoring, I'd need to make sure it's on a territory before the end of the game. Maybe more work than it's worth, but still interesting and good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you can't leave resources in there, the home base is not a territory. Playing as Crimea, you can move through the home base with resources/workers but you can't leave anything there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what "can't leave them there" means -- the game isn't going to force me to transport them off in my next move, right? I'm guessing it just means that it's in some twilight zone until it gets transported off the home base.

So I could use it to stockpile resources, but for it to count in scoring, I'd need to make sure it's on a territory before the end of the game. Maybe more work than it's worth, but still interesting and good to know.

The game isn't forcing you to transport them off home base next turn. The game also doesn't force you to not move any unit onto home base. It doesn force you to only deploy a mech in a territory where there is worker. Or force you to end the game immediately when a 6th star is placed.

The game doesn't force you to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

I think it means you can't strand them there without a mech, in the same way you can't leave workers on a lake without a mech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
ayejae wrote:

I think it means you can't strand them there without a mech, in the same way you can't leave workers on a lake without a mech.

So as long as I keep a mech on home base, then I could "leave" them there? Or am I forced to transport them with the first mech to move out of home base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes. So long as there is a mech to carry them, they can stay there. My original point was that like workers you cannot abandon the resources on the base (or lakes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
So as long as I keep a mech on home base, then I could "leave" them there? Or am I forced to transport them with the first mech to move out of home base?

Sure, after a retreat to your home base, your units can stay on your home base as long as you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Sure, after a retreat to your home base, your units can stay on your home base as long as you'd like.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does the "move to" in the Wayfare ability mean you can "jump to" unused bases from any territory, as in teleport multiple spaces at once? To be clearer, if you are moving a unit one space that can be a jump of multiple territories across the board into an unused home base or your own home base?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. It is as if, for the purposes of movement, inactive factions' home bases are adjacent to any territory or your home base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Does that mean if you lose a fight in an area you had control of, with resources sitting there. That when you retreat with a unit that can carry stuff - mechs - you can take the resources with you instead of leaving where the battle was lost? And so denying your opponent the goods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Does that mean if you lose a fight in an area you had control of, with resources sitting there. That when you retreat with a unit that can carry stuff - mechs - you can take the resources with you instead of leaving where the battle was lost? And so denying your opponent the goods?

No, the rules say (page 23):

"The loser must retreat all of their units -- mechs, characters, and workers -- from the combat territory to their home base (pick up those units and put them down on their home base). All resources those units were carrying remain on the territory and are now under the control of the winner."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Nope, combat works the same.

What Wayfare does do is make Crimea hard to pin down, and if they lose a battle they can pop right back in the same area very quickly. As Crimea it's nice to be able to pop over to an encounter, grab a big stack of loot, then vanish before anyone can get to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing stating that you can't leave the resources on the home base without a unit present is there? Only that they can not be spent because bases are not considered a territory.

IMO though it seems rather strange that you can't spend them from home base. Thematically it makes perfect sense to be able to be able to.

Almost wish there was a "Ship Goods" action on the player mats or just a default "Ship Goods" that all players have, that let you send a few resources to home base for a rainy day. Might even make a good default action if a player can't take any other action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.