Subject: SE4X vs Federation & Empire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've turned into an avid solitaire player of SE4X over the last months and I love every second of it.
Somewhere on the Internet I found a comparison that Talon is supposed to be a streamlined/simplified version of a streamlined/simplified version of SFB. Given that this assumption is right, is it also applicable to SE4X and F&E? If the answer was 'yes', I'd find similiar mechanisms/rules in both of them, but in F&E they were much more detailed, with more options and therefore (probably) also more fiddly and clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure what you're driving at here, are you looking at a recommendation of F&E as a 'meatier' SE4X?

They're very difficult to compare, as not only is there a huge, huge difference in complexity (especially bookkeeping) F&E is more about crippling your opponent's economy through losses rather than a straight up fight to the death, also there's no research/tech element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What I want to know is basically if F&E uses the same underlying mechanisms but in a more elaborate way (up to the point of cluttering them up with minutiae). Hence the direction of your question whether F&E might be a 'meatier' version of SE4X is insofar correct as I wonder if the familiarity with SE4X might help to get into F&E, because the fundamental way these games work are, if not identical, at least very similar. But since you referred to the absence of a tech tree in F&E, I assume that this is not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair F&E has a more in common with a WW2 grant strategy game (esp. a naval-heavy one) - Fixed map, manoeuvrer, logistics, politics (to a degree). The common factor just happens to be space, at the scale of strategic games that makes very little difference. SE is a great game in its own right, but I can't say it prepared me particularly well for F&E, if at all.

Talon, on the other hand, does related to other tactical space games because at the tactical level the same theme will always have similar mechanics, and it does play like a simplified Federation Commander (which itself is a simplified Star Fleet Battles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. You've defeinitely cleared this up for me, so now I know what (not) to expect when facing F&E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.