Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

High Frontier» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The first outing of the nanoblock ships (basic game, lots of photos) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
On Sunday we met at Tom's place for a 3-player session. We stuck with the basic rules. However, this was the first outing for my configurable nanoblock ships. We were playing with the 3rd ed. rule that makes Mars and Luna off limits for 3 player games, but otherwise stuck to the old rules.

NASA set off for Ceres with the Metastable Helium thruster, while the others were still assembling their stacks.

NASA established claims on Ceres and Minerva, while ESA set out for a crewed science mission to Eureka with the Ponderomotive VASIMR, successfully returning for two Glory results - first science mission and first crew return.

Shimizu eventually went for Mercury with its crew and the Photon Kite Sail.

NASA established a factory on Ceres to build an Ion Drive (seen below on the NASA ship setting out for the asteroid belt again), while Shimizu returned from Mercury to gain that Glory result, and set out there again to build a factory, giving up the Kite Sail for landing and retaining the Mirror Steamer.

With Mercury in Shimizu's hands, ESA used the Photon Heliogyro to sail to the edge of the asteroid belt.

There it left the Heliogyro as an outpost, continuing with the VASIMR which it used to claim and build a factory on Vesta, followed by the NASA ship en route to the Karin Cluster.

At Vesta, ESA produced the Ablative Laser drive (seen upon return to LEO below).

Meanwhile, Shimizu had returned to having a ship with both Photon Kite Sail and Mirror Steamer. (Our first case of a player designing a ship with a completely unanticipated configuration.)

Having not met for some time there was a lot of chatting, so we had to stop after about 2 1/2 hours of play. When we ended, NASA, having previously devastated the Karin Cluster by its prospecting attempts, got lucky on Comet Encke. Via a rather laborious and expensive process that had it boost another Metastable Helium thruster to ship out parts rather than do the round trip with the Ion Drive, it had just built a second factory to produce Comet Lichens which it would have used for a further mission to the outer reaches of the asteroid belt. This put NASA at 15 points vs 12 for ESA and 8 for Shimizu, so at that point everyone was still within a single factory build's in range of victory.

Generally the ships held up well, except the Photon Kite Sail proved to be a bit fragile - I'll apply some structural strengthening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
The little American flag on the NASA ship in pure genius.

Also the shadow on the giant sail in that third picture is also pretty darn awesome.

I envy your ability to play multiplayer games of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I'd like to take credit for the flag but it came with the Lunar Landing set that provided part of the blocks, so it was sort of an easy mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
Should print up some nano-flags to go with the nano-bricks.

Well done Markus. Great game, even if I didn't know where I was or what I was doing! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
You got to Mercury and back before ESA... and an impressive demo of the power of Shimizu to sit back and say "what I need now... is this" <pulls card out of oversize hand>.

And I love that multi-masted lightjammer that you built...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.