Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
The guy with the ideas.
badge
Look at my spooky glowing eyes!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I wanted to start this thread for anyone interested in discussing about painting the minis, show off their work, or have questions about painting they would like answered by more experienced painters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhoades
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ive never painted mini's before. Are they any good basic tutorials around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
I love painting minis, although I wish I was better:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AGN1964?browseid=1594493...
http://www.coolminiornot.com/381547?browseid=15944931

There are so many tutorials available is it unbelievable. Videos or pictures and text, at every level. Google "miniature painting tutorial" and add another other words you like, beginner, advanced, vampire, skin tones, etc.

It is actually much easier than it looks.

I wish I had this information when I started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhoades
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks. I have like 0 artistic ability. If you come across a good tutorial please let me know. I'll look around in my spare time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest thing to a vampire I've painted was this 15mm scaled vamp werewolf hunter:

I have painted a ton of 28mm stuff too, including zombies and SWAT and other stuff. Looking forward to seeing how detailed these figures end up being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, I plan to paint the HELL out of these minis! I'm psyched for the minis, but I'm more psyched for the gameplay! This will be my first dungeon crawler to own... I love them, but most of my game group doesn't dig the fiddly aspect of DCs. This seems to remedy that. ᵔ‿ᵔ

I'm hoping my skills will improve over the next year so I can paint those gorgeous Vampire Hunters sculpts to a level that befits them!

I'm currently finishing up my Cthulhu Wars figures, here's an example (with links to the rest of my faction paint-ups that I currently have up):
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1551006/core-game-painting-...

Mansions of Madness core set paint-up (I'll just post a CMON link rather than flood you):
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img566e7a4d576b7.jp...

I've also done my Last Night on Earth figures:

Some betrayal at House on the Hill upgrades I'm working on (gonna also replace main boss tokens with painted miniatures soon):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Btw, LOVE the OSL on your minis, Tony. You've got some talent for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracey At DGG
msg tools
mb
Wow, Paul - I LOVE those Cthulhu Wars 'minis'.
Shrub looks fantastic - nice job keeping the red theme going without being too bright or too pink.

My game group would love those - too bad I don't/can't paint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
There are some very nice minis here guys. Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work Paul. I need to develop some better skin tone and highlighting abilities to keep improving my (pretty good) painting skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stevens
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Paul, your painting is fantastic! I'm new to the world of painting gaming miniatures, and I'm definitely going to use your work as inspiration - thank you for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Nojima: Amazing paintjob, those LNOE-minis are so small! Very very impressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. ᵔ‿ᵔ

Here's a question to add to OP's post... What kind of color scheme is everyone planning to paint the vampires/hunters? Stay faithful to the artwork? Weathering? Blood and gore?

Personally I'll try to paint them to look "natural", but I'm also entertaining the idea of painting them as if lit by moonlight... That hasn't turned out so well for me in the past... So maybe only if my skills improve enough by then. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
http://spiralingcadaver.blogspot.ca/2016/07/inner-beauty-kin...

Nick at Spiraling Cadaver has some awesome lighting effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biel Cabot
msg tools
mb
Tony at DGgames US wrote:
http://spiralingcadaver.blogspot.ca/2016/07/inner-beauty-kin...

Nick at Spiraling Cadaver has some awesome lighting effects.

Wow, these are amazing, but while vampires will be "the same" in daytime and nighttime, and also based in my painting skills, I think I just gonna use some kind of light effects on those miniatures depending on their weapons, maybe some "fire light" for Joshua and something like that...

Pauljima wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. ᵔ‿ᵔ

Here's a question to add to OP's post... What kind of color scheme is everyone planning to paint the vampires/hunters? Stay faithful to the artwork? Weathering? Blood and gore?

Well, there is plenty of time to change my mind, several times... But I plan to paint vampires depending on those sculpts and how much time I think they have been vampires...

For example, for thralls, maybe the less time they are vampires (well, more than less time, less "powerfull" penetration of vampire essence...), I think I'm gonna give them some kind of "humanity" painting them in some reminiscent human skin colors, and still giving them a human background in they dress, like jeans, some university/highschool tees, and maybe (if my skills allows me) different kind of (weak) infection levels under those skintones, seeming the vampìre disease spreading in their bodies, something like this (http://img13.deviantart.net/2eac/i/2010/277/a/4/infected_vam...), if the skills allows me to do... And of course, I plan to paint the female thralls in some university/highschool cheerleader uniforms (I think they fit perfectly with sculpts), maybe using some iconography in males to seem they are all from a vampire attack in the same place...

In other cases, like more beastly vampires, I think I will use the "greytones" type skin from some films or like DGG artwork, I think it fits with vampires, but maybe more infection "grade" than thralls (in upyrs and warriors) and well, for elders or bosses, none of infection grade cos they are "all turned" and they are in control of their vampire essence...

In other cases, like hunters, it depends on the documentation I achieve and how much I like the colorscheme of the artwork, but maybe I was thinking in giving the "teams" some kind of ambience that makes them more "thematic" (for example, colour schemes for the entire team, or different due to characteristic colours of their nationalities, or something like that...)

But as I said, it's plenty of times to change my mind several times... And I'm sure I'll do!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clau_ganxo wrote:
Well, there is plenty of time to change my mind, several times... But I plan to paint vampires depending on those sculpts and how much time I think they have been vampires...

For example, for thralls, maybe the less time they are vampires (well, more than less time, less "powerfull" penetration of vampire essence...), I think I'm gonna give them some kind of "humanity" painting them in some reminiscent human skin colors, and still giving them a human background in they dress, like jeans, some university/highschool tees, and maybe (if my skills allows me) different kind of (weak) infection levels under those skintones, seeming the vampìre disease spreading in their bodies, something like this (http://img13.deviantart.net/2eac/i/2010/277/a/4/infected_vam...), if the skills allows me to do... And of course, I plan to paint the female thralls in some university/highschool cheerleader uniforms (I think they fit perfectly with sculpts), maybe using some iconography in males to seem they are all from a vampire attack in the same place...

In other cases, like more beastly vampires, I think I will use the "greytones" type skin from some films or like DGG artwork, I think it fits with vampires, but maybe more infection "grade" than thralls (in upyrs and warriors) and well, for elders or bosses, none of infection grade cos they are "all turned" and they are in control of their vampire essence...

In other cases, like hunters, it depends on the documentation I achieve and how much I like the colorscheme of the artwork, but maybe I was thinking in giving the "teams" some kind of ambience that makes them more "thematic" (for example, colour schemes for the entire team, or different due to characteristic colours of their nationalities, or something like that...)

But as I said, it's plenty of times to change my mind several times... And I'm sure I'll do!!

Ah, that's a great idea with the vampire skin tones depending on how young they are. I'm definitely gonna go casual modern dress for thralls and the like, but I'm still debating on how to paint the elders, giant bats, warriors, etc. It kind of looks like the Upyrs have some really protruding ribs from the middle of their chests, almost like another mouth... which inspires me to really paint up the skin discoloration near areas like that (thin skin with hard bone beneath) a little reddish. Just trying to keep in mind where blood would actually flow and the like.

I think for the elders and warriors in general... I'll reference original artwork (I like the dual-tones they have for chest area) and the Bat-Dracula from "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (the film). So maybe less "dead flesh" pallor and more "beastly" skin color.

Still debating on painting in blood effects. Maybe if I screw things up, I'll use blood to hide my mistakes, heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biel Cabot
msg tools
mb
Pauljima wrote:
Still debating on painting in blood effects. Maybe if I screw things up, I'll use blood to hide my mistakes, heh.

Your ideas sounds good too... I think I've still have to think more about different types of "minions".

Regarding the weathering or blood effects, it depends on how you imagine your vampires are destroyed (more human like or turning fire and dust), for vampires, it makes sense to add some kind of "bloodering" since they are killing humans, but for hunters... If miniatures comes with all that "armour scratches" (that I really love) I'll use them to add some weathering but I think I use less blood in them (more like dust, but I think I can't get that effect), but it's possible to hide some mistakes for sure I'll make with a final touch... Since some humans can be destroyed near to the hunters, and normally you don't take a bath into any den...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're REALLY f#@&ing good! surprise
If you lived in mainland China, you could easily get a job painting for a manufacturer (for a few dollars a day. Yay Communism!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.