Subject: Small games / Card games storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadine Broeders
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a fondness for small card games. I love the portability and the usually fast game play. Part of it is nostalgia because I loved to play cardgames with my grandmother when I was a kid.

I've quite a lot small (card)games in my collection but I've yet to find a decent storage solution for them. I prefer to keep them in their original boxes. At the moment they are all over the place and I want to get them all in one place without them getting In complete disarray (bins) or falling over (stacks).

How do you store your small boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As most games have varying size and shape of box, I find card games are goo for filling in the blanks on the shelves. However, I've considered having a mid-depth drawer and put the card games in that, a bit like a filing cabinet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ineken wrote:

Most are in their original boxes (Star Realms being the exception). Some are in a pile onto of some draws in our lounge. Some are in a Ikea Kassett Cd Box. I don't know if these are available but some kind of small/medium sized box should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4x4 cube shelf that you can buy inserts for that are pretty good for small card games.

The top right hand corner has a divider insert that nicely houses small box games.

The red storage box inserts are also great for small games and bits & pieces.

This particular unit and it's inserts are marketed in Australia as "Clever Cube", for what that's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used one of those hanging shoe organizers attached to the exposed side of my board game shelf that I thought did this job fairly well.
it was kinda like this:

I now since made the move from a normal bookshelf to an old entertainment center and it has a compartment drawr that opens and exposes shelfs that were intended for VHS movies that now do a great job holding small games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I use a couple of cd/dvd book shelves to store my smaller games.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00323364/#/502771...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Broeders
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouchbre wrote:
This particular unit and it's inserts are marketed in Australia as "Clever Cube", for what that's worth.

These are pretty neat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Broeders
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RileyD wrote:
I use a couple of cd/dvd book shelves to store my smaller games.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00323364/#/502771...

I actually own one of these for our DVD's, I never thought of using it for games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Broeders
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:

I now since made the move from a normal bookshelf to an old entertainment center and it has a compartment drawr that opens and exposes shelfs that were intended for VHS movies that now do a great job holding small games

This would not for us for now as our two youngest are intent on plundering every cabinet within reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Broeders
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Ineken wrote:

Most are in their original boxes (Star Realms being the exception). Some are in a pile onto of some draws in our lounge. Some are in a Ikea Kassett Cd Box. I don't know if these are available but some kind of small/medium sized box should do.

I've considered these boxes, but I do have a lot of small games so I would need a couple of boxes. The problem would be keeping track of what is in which box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep small games in a plastic photo storage case I got from Hobby Lobby:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some sock organizers from ikea. Just the right size to keep them organized. I would guess other companies sock organizers would work just as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:

This I like. How many cards will those individual boxes hold?

I have to say, though, one thing I find really annoying about card games is that companies INSIST on making the manual bigger than a single card, so it's impossible to fit the game complete into a standard deckbox.

One of the worst offenders IMO is Incan Gold. But Archaeology: The New Expedition making the "monument" tiles all larger than a standard card (for no reason than tactility, I guess) is another frustrating entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Broeders
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
I have some sock organizers from ikea. Just the right size to keep them organized. I would guess other companies sock organizers would work just as well

Like these?
http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/small-storage-organisers/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a sturdy plastic box I picked up at a Japanese store and keep a plastic cover over it that it came with to minimize dust. It was about $30 but worth it in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragoonkin wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:

This I like. How many cards will those individual boxes hold?

Hmmm, I don't have a card count handy but I can tell you each of the photo cases holds a whole game. Some with the box, like Red7 and Tichu, and some I couldn't get the box in it but there was enough room for the cards like Rhino Hero, Innovation, Jaipur, and Sushi Go. It's really cool being able to have all those games handy all the time just by carrying that thing around with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.