12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Countries vs Battlegrounds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferdinand Marques
msg tools
mb
The concept of countries includes Battlegrounds and non-battlegrounds?
When the rules are said country concerns both Battlegrounds and non-battlegrounds?

For example, to have domain is necessary...

(just clarify, please)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
All spaces on the map represent countries.

Some countries have their stability number in a red box. These countries are battlegrounds.

Then there are two "non-spaces" representing the two superpowers, USA and USSR. These are not countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Domination:
1. Control more BGs than opponent
2. Control more total countries than opponent (BG and non-BG together)
3. At least one non-BG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Marques
msg tools
mb
turbothy wrote:
All spaces on the map represent countries.

Some countries have their stability number in a red box. These countries are battlegrounds.

Then there are two "non-spaces" representing the two superpowers, USA and USSR. These are not countries.

So, if in Europe I have only 3 countries (all battlegrounds) and my opponent has any two countries I haven´t domination...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. No non-BG, no Domination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Important note: you do not need non BGs to control a region. For control, you just need all BGs and more countries than your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

...except for the purposes of adjacency for influence placement and realignment bonuses.

For example, USA always has adjacency to place influence in Mexico, Cuba, and Japan, even if they have literally zero influence markers anywhere on the map.

USA always counts as +1 towards realignment die modifiers. For example if Cuba is 0/3 and the USA controls Nicaragua, and the USSR controls nothing adjacent to Cuba, the USA can realign Cuba at +1 (USA gets +1 for USA and +1 for Nicaragua; USSR gets +1 for having more influence in Cuba).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
Important note: you do not need non BGs to control a region. For control, you just need all BGs and more countries than your opponent.

One of the many great nuances about this game. Another example of a great game making me actually care about subject matter that I would normally have no interest in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Marques
msg tools
mb
Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Straßmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:

Well well well ...

Thank you for that comment! I am playing TS for some years now (but not on a monthly basis), but I happened to overlook the rule that besides having to control all the BGs, you need to control more countries as well!

No irony here, don't get me wrong! I really missed that important point, presumably because controlling all BGs and not having the majority in countries doesn't happen that often to begin with ...

So, seriously: thank you!

Marcus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You think having to have a non-BG to have dominion was mostly put into the rules to force vulnerability? I know I wrestle sometimes with going for higher VPs with dominion but then giving my opponent a quick way into the region versus just staying the the BGs and being happy with the 2 or 3 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you have to have a non-battleground country in order to have Domination. Since I find Domination is much more common than control, in my games, this little rule keeps you on your toes, and more readily able to thwart your opponent.

Plus it keeps countries like the UK, Australia, Lebanon, and Columbia that much more important in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.