Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: MidCon 2016 - it was so good the first 36 times, we're doing it again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

We're doing it again, only even better this time.

We hope.

MidCon is a board-games convention held in the comfort of a top class hotel in Derby, UK, which is organised by a group of independent amateur board games enthusiasts.

MidCon 2016 will be the 37th and will take place from November 11 to November 13 at the Hallmark Hotel, Derby.

Full details are on http://www.fbgames.co.uk/Midcon/default.htm or you can enter via the front door, if you prefer, at midcon.org.uk.

This is the third year we have kicked off a forum on the Geek about the con; you can see the first one on http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16414531#16414531 , which still has much relevant information on it (and a stupendous amount of nonsense).

If you have any questions about the con, post them here, and someone will almost certainly respond.

While I am here, hats off to ManorCon for an excellent con in Lie-sester-shyer earlier this month. I really liked the main gaming hall this year.

Shame about the breakfasts and the poky quiz room, but otherwise a tip-top con.

John Harrington

MidCon committee member
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm booked in. Hoping to be there on Thursday for the unofficial ShowerCon AND I've taken the precaution of booking three days off work to recover afterwards.

For those that don't read Jeremy's lovely newsletter, I plan on running the mad dice-chucking bit of Sunday that was Reiner Knizias Decathlon (not to be confused with the full Kniziathon - not doing that again) and am trying to source a couple of suitable prizes.

Also subscribing to learn the most important things - to whit, more about the beer on offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this here John, I live in Leicester and this is the first I've heard of Manor-Con! I'll be keeping an eye on this to see if I can attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Thanks for posting this here John, I live in Leicester and this is the first I've heard of Manor-Con! I'll be keeping an eye on this to see if I can attend.

It's an annual event, always 3rd weekend in July so you can relax your surveillance for a while.

Now back to the far superior con that this thread is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
cornishlee wrote:

It's an annual event, always 3rd weekend in July so you can relax your surveillance for a while.

Now back to the far superior con that this thread is about.

To clarify - I meant I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and Midcon! Thanks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm off to a committee meeting in Reading in a few minutes, so if there is any hot news from that I will post it here later, but I assume it will be mainly the sort of pedantry one-upmanship we (t'committee) engage in via our email list, except with added beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiendish wrote:
I'm off to a committee meeting in Reading in a few minutes, so if there is any hot news from that I will post it here later, but I assume it will be mainly the sort of pedantry one-upmanship we (t'committee) engage in via our email list, except with added beer.

Rather you than me. Apart from the beer bit, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Well, Reading was ... er ... large.

We met in a pie restaurant-cum-pub and I was aghast to learn that one could not have mash with one's pie.

"Oh, yes, sir, we also do battered cod, which you can have with boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, sauteed potatoes and jacket potatoes."

"Chips?"

"I don't understand the question, sir."

"Can I have chips with my fish?"

"Fish & chips, sir? What a ludicrous combination. Why, that's as absurd as offering pie & mash together, sir."

"OK. I'll go straight for dessert then, and the cheese selection with custard."

"Very good, sir."

Where was I?

Reading, apparently.

As I suspected, MidCon 37 (or possibly 38 - there was some dispute) will be much the same as MidCon 36 in terms of what's on offer.

The main issue to address is that we are running out of space.

When we moved from Brum to Derby some five years (?) ago, we thought we would have enough space at the Hallmark for the foreseeable future.

It turns out we were not very good at foreseeing the future, and that while we are sorted for accommodation needs (i.e. beds for the night), as those who have attended for the last couple of years know, gaming space has been at a premium at peak times.

I may be speaking out of school here, but our illustrious chairman, Jeremy Tullett, did mention that there is a much larger hotel near Derby's airport that we could maybe check out should we finally run out of space at the Hallmark.

The view of the committee was that we like the Hallmark and the Hallmark likes us, and that we should try to make the current venue work for as long as possible.

Having the con in town, as near as near can be to the railway station, is a major plus in our book, whereas having it located near an airport is only really a plus for those flying in.

Of course, there are other cities in the Midlands we could decamp to that have centrally located hotels of a suitable size, but for now the plan is to stay with the Hallmark.

What this means, effectively, is even more over-spill to the Hallmark Inn across the road.

The Bring & Buy has already moved across there and now we are planning to use the Inn's breakfast room once breakfast is done with.

This is not ideal, as it splits the con into two venues, and even the main venue is getting a bit "far flung", and this does take away some of the opportunities to play different games with different people, which for many of us is what cons are all about.

I think in general that once a group bags a table, they end up occupying it until the next meal break, so there will be opportunities to regroup, decamp, mingle and cross-fertilise (metaphorically speaking) in a two venue set-up, but I imagine that most people will want to play in the main gaming room (The Garden Room), so the trick will be luring gamers over to the Inn to use that space.

We have a number of ideas for that, some of which I shall now outline below.

1) Open the Inn's bar and have some proper beer there

Not having stayed at the Inn, I did not realise it had a bar but apparently it does. Chairman Tullett is always at pains to remind us that "this is a games convention, not a beer convention," which goes to show how much he knows ... but I imagine that having to walk across the road to get a pint of Wilman's Old Roadkill will prove to be a deal breaker for many gamers.

Therefore, we are considering having a two or three polypins across the road (pale, amber & dark) for the beer enthusiasts, plus there will the usual assortment of drinks for the shandy drinkers and those terribly out of fashion types who still drink lager

We have not confirmed the hotel is OK with this year; our expectation is that it will be a bit of a faff, involving asking the receptionist to find someone to serve a beer, but given how quiet is is normally in the Inn I imagine the receptionist would probably be glad of the activity.

We might even offer some sort of incentive to lure the beer drinkers over the road, such as only making a particular brew available at the Inn (but not a licorice flavoured stout or some similar monstrosity).

MidCon beer mugs, perhaps?

We'll see.

2) Reserved tables for specific games at specific times

Apart from the Diplomacy tournament (currently just about staving off Norwegian Blue status; beautiful plumage, the Norwegian Blue) MidCon has always been an ad hoc affair when it comes to playing games.

Turn up; see what games people want to play; play 'em or suggest something else. That sort of thing, and so forth.

On the other hand, I know from reading fora (or is it fauna? ) on the Geek that a number of people turn up to a con hoping to play a specific game; usually, this is a nutter-bastard lengthy hardcore game.

Cons are ideal opportunities to play these sorts of games but the "shiny, shiny" distraction rules apply, so that although, say, a pool of seven people express an interest before the con in playing "Games of Drones" with all six expansion packs, the X-Box interface and fancy dress outfits "at some point over the weekend", that "some point" never arrives because people are doing other stuff.

So, an idea we are kicking around is scheduling specific games in the Hallmark Inn at specific times on reserved tables. Depending on demand, we could even have tournaments, with the hobby equivalent of a Blue Peter badge for those who participate and, perhaps, a Crackerjack pen & pencil for the winners.

So, we'd like your feedback.

We're looking for suggestions of games that might lure gamers across the road.

A quick look at the Geek's most popular games suggests the following might fit the bill:

Terra Mystica
Caberna/Caverna
Twilight Struggle (Twiglet Struggle)
Agricola
Through The Ages
Pandemic
Eclipse
Power Grid

Those of you who frequent games clubs more often than I do might have a better feel for what sort of games people are likely to go out of their way to book a seat.

My own view is that longish games, perhaps requiring a lot of space and which benefit from a relatively quiet environment (so Pit is out, then, as is Liar's Dice).

I think Ben's Mini-Knizia tournament is already likely to be scheduled to take place across the road. At other times we could perhaps run tournaments of Dominion or whatever this year's hot non-collectible CCG-style game is, and other similar mid-length games, but I think long and nutter-bastard is the way to go.

Obviously, the 18xx crowd already have their own ghetto/creche/retirement home, and we won't be moving them.

One thing I should mention in passing is that we are not entirely sure what sort of table space is available at the Inn; Jeremy is going to check this out, but it maybe that the 142-piece "bigger than Monza" Carabande kit is not an option.

3) Essen showcase

There is a possibility that we could get one or two people to run demo games of the hot games from Essen. "Demo game" is not quite the right phrase, but you know what I mean.

The suggestion is that we will have a person in the Inn who has a copy of, say, three of the hottest games from this year's Essen, who knows the rules and who is prepared to teach it to a gaggle of people. Said gaggle might possibly be offered an additional discount to buy said game from Spirit Games (remember Spirit is already offering a con discount, and you can order games in advance, or "pre-order" them if you are a fan of tautology).

If you would like to volunteer to be an Essen show-caser, please let me know.

Right, that' the Hallmark Inn issue dealt with.

We also discussed making the con more newbie friendly.

If we are being absolutely honest, MidCon is mainly about serving its existing loyal clientele rather than seeking world domination through some kind of Scientology approach.

That being said, we are certainly not about deterring newcomers from coming to the con, and we want to make it as easy as possible for them to assimilate (in some kind of Borg approach).

Current thinking is to have one cuddly committee member (yes, we know) assigned to hold first-timers by the hand, should they wish for a bit of Obi Wan-style guidance.

Essential to this approach is having a table available in the main gaming room for them to use when they arrive. This, we thought, was preferable to us saying "Welcome to our con, now walk with me across the road to a quarantined area where the old lags won't be infected with your gullibility and enthusiasm".

Of course, if the newcomers arrive in dribs and drabs (i.e. ones and twos) then their first introduction to the con is likely to be a two-player or three-player game so the designated newbie table might also double-up as an "I wandered lonely as a cloud, looking for a game (of Flying Carpet)" table for those (non-newcomers) looking for a game.

In fact, that would probably be an ideal scenario: newcomer arrives and is introduced by cuddly committee member to two or three old lags looking for a game; the group has a game and then moves off to another table afterwards, freeing up the table for the next initiate.

In practice, I expect it will work nothing like this, but that's the current thinking.

We realise having an empty table in a room that is otherwise chocka will annoy gamers looking for somewhere to play, so I imagine an executive decision will be taken by the committee to free this table up if it looks like no other gaming space is available.

Other stuff ... we toyed with the idea of having a con motto and came up with "Don't be a dick".

In general, everyone behaves splendidly at the con and the hotel is very happy to have us there. We have, however, been cautioned on more than one occasion that food bought outside the hotel should not be consumed on the premises and the same applies for alcohol.

Now, between you, me and the gatepost, I expect the hotel is prepared to turn a blind eye to the odd tube of Pringles, cheese sandwich or Kit-Kat being consumed, but they find it much harder to turn a blind 'un when four or five Domino's Pizza cartons are left on a table, or a bottle of Bacardi is rolling around under a chair.

If nothing else, think what it says about our hobby that people are prepared to eat terrible Domino's Pizza!

So, don't be a dick. Don't bring in hot food from outside. If you must be a dick, be discreet. Dispose of the evidence.

In similar vein, we had a bit of a "towel on the sunbed" incident last year that caused some friction. We're not in possession of all the facts surrounding the situation so can't draw any hard and fast conclusions as to whether the complainant was justified.

Our general view is that it is OK to leave an uncompleted game in order to go our for a meal or, if it is late at night, go to bed, but please come back ASAP to finish it, so as to free up table space.

It is OK to sit at a table and claim you are waiting for the rest of your gaming crew to arrive, but be aware that if they have still not arrived 45 minutes later it might be courteous to give up the table.

"Reserving" a table by piling 48 games on it and then disappearing is bad form and I think anyone would be justified in "unreserving" the table by shifting those games somewhere else, but, again, the "don't be a dick" rule applies.

I think that'll do for now.

All feedback gratefully accepted, but d.b.a.d.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, John.

Personally, I do not particularly wish to indulge in 'reserved games' - I prefer ad-hoccing as and when I bump into friends and acquaintances. Nor do I wish to play in tournaments (how boring must it be playing the same game all day?), but I acknowledge I'm only one voice of many.

If there's any sort of beer-based incentive to play over the road, then count me in(n)! Hopefully it will do enough to alleviate the space issues, too.

I'm thinking of making the mini-Knizia a charity event, and I need to ask Spirit nicely if they'll be willing to donate a prize or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
England
Liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny and informative John, looking forward to it.

As for the BIG games people will want to play at your dedicated table idea add Scythe to the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the problems of success. I knew there was no way we'd ever need all those additional rooms, and I just hoped the hotel didn't mind being colonised by a group taking about half the rooms.

Your potato choice with the cod was a generous offer of spuds prepared in 4 different ways, according to what you, a journalist who takes care with his words, wroted above. Seems mean to ask for chips as well.

My games group has also seen a lot of interest in Scythe, definitely the hottest new game this year. Twilight Struggle is 2 players, so doesn't move many people around. However, I'm not sure what you're proposing. Are there tournaments or other incentives. If not, why would I want to go over the road to play Power Grid on Saturday morning when all the people involved are already with me?

Expecting Spirit to give extra extra discounts for the hot stuff they just got from Essen is a bit optimistic.

There is a small number of beers that would have an effect on where I played. Not having real beer in The Garden would sort things out, but probably too much. The quiet room option might be something to consider - it's been popular at many events but at MidCon it's essentially the 18XX room. Somewhere where people can play a nice game of El Grande without being distracted by the bad language and complaining from rowdy Agricola players might be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
However, I'm not sure what you're proposing. Are there tournaments or other incentives. If not, why would I want to go over the road to play Power Grid on Saturday morning when all the people involved are already with me?

The short answer is "we have not decided yet". We've had some ideas but I don't want to jump the gun and say the winner of the Breaking Away tournament will win a night of passion with Brian Walker as first prize in case the committee decides this is not feasible.

Many people go to the Mind Sports Olympiad or UK Games Expo to indulge in tournament play and I frankly have no idea what their motivation is. Some might play just for the chance to test themselves against other good players; others might crave a cheesy trophy or scroll; others might want to at least have the chance of covering their costs of attending the tournament (so, something like a £50 first prize).

Our challenge is to find something that would lure enough people over there to the Inn. In some respects, offering £50 for the best Agricola player might even be cost effective if we can get 10 players over there for three hours (two boards, i.e a semi-final) and the five best players there for another three hours (i.e. the final). Ditto for Power Grid or any other game.

If we can get twice that number then £50 starts looking on the cheap side. That's 90 "person hours" of gamers extracted from the main gaming area at a cost of £50, so 44p an hour per person or so.

Would that £50 be better spent offering a beer voucher to every person who signs up for the tournament? Or a Spirit Games discount voucher?

Dunno, guv.

At the moment, we just know we probably need to offer some incentives to go across the road.

I take your point that if you have the Power Grid board you want to play and enough people who want to play it, then a reserved table is probably not going to cut it as an inducement to trek over to the Inn.

On the other hand, let's say you are desperate to play a game of Extra Blatt! and can't get the players to play it, but you have a sneaking suspicion that there might be enough players out there somewhere in the con who could be persuaded to give it a go if they knew it was going to start at 10.00am on Sunday morning and there was a table reserved for it.

Extra Blatt! is not a great example and has been chosen as an in-joke for Paul and me, but there must be scores of games (Outpost? Die Macher? Hansa Teutonica? Fearsome Floors? Glass Road?) that are much loved but not much played, that could get an outing if the con offered to act as an official facilitator, and maybe threw in a free egg roll.

(Incidentally, one of the ideas we were considering was early entry to the Bring & Buy for people who spent N hours gaming in the Hallmark Inn.

A bit of an administrative nightmare, if only because it would mean a committee member calling the register every half hour, but as inducements go, I think it is a pretty strong one.)

Obvs, you could arrange all of this (the Power Grid game or whatever) without the con's intervention and stay in the main hotel, though personally I'd be more inclined to play Power Grid on a proper table in the Hallmark Inn than on a low coffee table in the dimly lit room beside the hotel wine and shandy bar.

We, the committee, just thought there might be some mileage in formalising the game arranging process.

I feel I am labouring the point, and as Paul observed in one of his other comments, I have not got my sub-editor here to make my prose pristine and my thought processes appear lucid. The general gist is, we want to make it worth your while (know what I mean, guv?) to consider playing in the Hallmark Inn.

Hands up who is in favour of free Krispy Kreme doughnuts and bowls of peanuts?

And yes, I am aware that some people (e.g. me) who would walk across the road just to scarf some doughnuts and then walk back to the Hallmark Hotel. That's why we need the Doughnut Police.

Expecting Spirit to give extra extra discounts for the hot stuff they just got from Essen is a bit optimistic.

Well, we can but ask. Let's say we agree to showcase three Essen games and we buy those games from Spirit Games so that we have playable copies.

That's probably £60 profit for Spirit Games, so offering a fiver discount to those players who participated in the demo games is probably not going to cost them money. A bigger problem for them might be getting hold of enough copies of the game to satisfy demand. It's stuff like that we need to think through.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback so far. Right now, the subsidised bar idea seems to be getting a bit of traction, as marketing wankers like to say, and the idea of some sort of Scythe event has been duly noted.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
P.S. Anyone interested in game of Extra Blatt! ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiendish wrote:
P.S. Anyone interested in game of Extra Blatt! ?

Yes please. Never played - looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outpost isn't a great game to use to entice players to rhe Inn as it is officially allowed to play it in the 18XX room as a filler - the only time I'm allowed in there most MidCons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been to manorcon I am looking forward to trying midcon. Not played many games this year so need a fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You'll find broadly the same catchment of people playing much the same games, so if you enjoyed Manorcon, you should enjoy MidCon.

Anyone know yet what hot new games from Essen I'm going to be coming last in next month?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Key To The City - London, Meeple War, Raise Your Goblets and Mondrian: The Dice Game, which I'm sure will all be making the trip. The latter two are strictly late-night fayre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamme Rouge (some cycling game where you pick up cards determining your move based on your position in the peloton, novel concept) and Fabled Fruit have been played last 2 weeks, but our selection is entirely dependent on what Craddock brings back. The popular games in America which have hopefully arrived are Imhoetep and Cry Havoc. You will have opportunities to claim dividends from earlier turns in Power Grid the card game and Secret Hitler as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lester
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
badge
Known as "Natasha" on Wednesdays
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I think tournaments of popular games - with prizes - is absolutely the best way to get people to the Inn. Love your idea of doing a qualifying round and a final. People will definitely play for a £10 prize for making it to the final and £50 for winning. Definitely. (Don't be misled by the unpopularity of "ad hoc" tournaments.)

2. Can we get some proper cider (as well as proper beer) or is it much too late to request such a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Howitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool right on my doorstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Flamme Rouge (some cycling game where you pick up cards determining your move based on your position in the peloton, novel concept

Just a quick correction. The only cards you pick up are exhaustion cards when you are heading a pack and not able to slipstream. I can teach you later if Simon doesn't fancy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn I wish I'd seen this before. I have friends in Derby and Nottingham and we could have made a weekend of it, but alas I'm booked up that weekend and won't be able to come. I know just no commitment!

Maybe next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
cedarsave wrote:
1. I think tournaments of popular games - with prizes - is absolutely the best way to get people to the Inn. Love your idea of doing a qualifying round and a final. People will definitely play for a £10 prize for making it to the final and £50 for winning. Definitely. (Don't be misled by the unpopularity of "ad hoc" tournaments.)

2. Can we get some proper cider (as well as proper beer) or is it much too late to request such a thing?

I'll see what the committee thinks on the tournament front, but I might have left it late in terms of rustling up potential tournament directors, which means one of the committee will end up doing it.

On the other hand, if there is a beer discount in the Hallmark Inn ...

On the cider front, Derventio don't do cider; they do brew cherry-flavoured stout, which I turned down as an option.

I am not sure if the Hallmark can get some different brands for the main shandy-drinkers' bar, but if they can, what do you suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
breacher18 wrote:
Cool right on my doorstep.

All round Jay's for tea on Sunday evening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.