11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Excited but worried rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a sticker price of $100, I likely wouldn't pick this game up if I didn't already own all of the First Edition expansions (minus the PoD). However, this sounds like the BEST parts of BatHoH combined with the best parts of MoM (!!!).

My biggest concern is that to fully integrate all of the tiles etc from the first edition, I wonder how random things will be. Like... Will random house tiles suddenly appear in the middle of a wilderness map? Will there be a lake in the middle of the streets of Innsmouth?

To a degree, I don't care, but I'm curious how this is going to work and how many "scenarios" the app comes with.

This leads me to an other point. I haven't ever played a game that relies on an app before. Atm, all I have that can run the app is a very old Kindle Fire. I believe the app will be available on the Amazon app store, but how glitchy are these apps and how user-friendly in general? Do people have problems with them? I think the concept is brilliant, but I'm worried about execution. I mean, MoM has a lot of variables in the base version. Will we see bookshelves in the middle of the woods and fires in the middle of the dining room?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
For a sticker price of $100, I likely wouldn't pick this game up if I didn't already own all of the First Edition expansions (minus the PoD). However, this sounds like the BEST parts of BatHoH combined with the best parts of MoM (!!!).

My biggest concern is that to fully integrate all of the tiles etc from the first edition, I wonder how random things will be. Like... Will random house tiles suddenly appear in the middle of a wilderness map? Will there be a lake in the middle of the streets of Innsmouth?

To a degree, I don't care, but I'm curious how this is going to work and how many "scenarios" the app comes with.

This leads me to an other point. I haven't ever played a game that relies on an app before. Atm, all I have that can run the app is a very old Kindle Fire. I believe the app will be available on the Amazon app store, but how glitchy are these apps and how user-friendly in general? Do people have problems with them? I think the concept is brilliant, but I'm worried about execution. I mean, MoM has a lot of variables in the base version. Will we see bookshelves in the middle of the woods and fires in the middle of the dining room?

Thoughts?

If tile placement were that random, they wouldn't need an app. You'd just have a deck of cards that you shuffled and pulled from.

The app for Descent has gone down a storm. We're just about to finish the first mini-campaign and haven't come across any glitches so far. Why do you think a reputable company such as FFG would put out a buggy product?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first edition and Forbidden Alchemy, so spending $100 + tax + shipping is kind of steep. I wonder if Games Workshop is associated with FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

I doubt you have anything to worry about in this regards. The implementation will be procedural, not truly random.

Keep in mind that this is FFG's third approach to designing a digitally driven artificial intelligence (with X-COM and Descent's Road to Legend the immediate predecessors). Neither of those past implementations have been plagued by complaints related to either of your worries, I'm happy to say.

That said, more legitimate worries might relate to fine point details in the implementation: Will they have an undo button? Will the game allow me to replay the same (exact same) scenario at the point of loss? Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whereas I can see why you might want those functions, I can't really see myself trying to re-play the same exact set-up multiple times (curious if the set-up will ever feel like you got a raw deal from the start or if they're relatively similar). And I'm under the impression that the app will be mostly for the purpose of generating the board configuration and less about story elements and cards as there seem to be quite a lot of cards included despite the app.

That being said, I wonder how much of the cards will be displayed of if it will specifically ask you to search for X card every time a trap is sprung, a "keeper action" activates, or what have you.

Glad to hear that FFG has some experience under their belt in regards to the app work, and that the other semi-comparable games don't seem to have any major flaws or complaints.

I'm so curious about how the mechanics are going to play out as the first edition was pretty nearly a competitive gaming experience. Will we still see the timed event decks? Do Keeper action cards still exist or function similarly (though automated)? Do the mythos cards/conditions still have triggering requirements, or are they more general?

Hmmm..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
That being said, I wonder how much of the cards will be displayed of if it will specifically ask you to search for X card every time a trap is sprung, a "keeper action" activates, or what have you.

If it's anything like RtL, it will work like this:

- If it's a permanent effect that stays with you, it'll be a card.
- If it's an immediate one-off effect that affects you then goes away, it'll be in the app only.

Having the players having to search through a deck just for a one-off immediate effect would be a silly implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Conolly
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping they're going to use a procedural soundtrack system. Drop in ambient creature noises - giving you some foresight on the approaching doom. Cultist chanting, distant roaring. Would be awesome.

Imagine players deep in discussion and the app triggering a single creature noise. One of the players saying 'Wait did you hear that?!'

We used to play MoM using a soundtrack - really added to the experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Whereas I can see why you might want those functions, I can't really see myself trying to re-play the same exact set-up multiple times (curious if the set-up will ever feel like you got a raw deal from the start or if they're relatively similar).

Just to be clear, I wouldn't want the app to save potential scenario state information for long, but -- like with video games -- sometimes people want another shot at the same challenge. In my minds eye, I was imagining a group restarting the scenario in the same play session, so they could overcome the specific hurdle that had just thwarted them.

soakman wrote:

That being said, I wonder how much of the cards will be displayed or if it will specifically ask you to search for X card every time a trap is sprung, a "keeper action" activates, or what have you.

My money is on the app telling you to dig out a specific type of card ("have player X draw and apply a condition card"), but anything is possible right now.

soakman wrote:

I'm so curious about how the mechanics are going to play out as the first edition was pretty nearly a competitive gaming experience. Will we still see the timed event decks? Do Keeper action cards still exist or function similarly (though automated)? Do the mythos cards/conditions still have triggering requirements, or are they more general?

Hmmm..

Very good questions, indeed. I'm especially curious about the time drivers for the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

This leads me to an other point. Why do you think a reputable company such as FFG would put out a buggy product?

*Cough* Forbidden Alchemy *Cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

This leads me to an other point. Why do you think a reputable company such as FFG would put out a buggy product?

That was years ago, and their QA process has improved considerably since then (mostly as a result of that product).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

That was years ago, and their QA process has improved considerably since then (mostly as a result of that product).

So it damn well should have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.