Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been excited for this game for a while and knew it was pretty much a must-have for me. Even though I have little experience with legacy games, other than watching Pandemic Legacy played at my game store, I am intrigued by the concept and the theme of sailing ships, adventure and exploration is one that calls to me.

Last night, I made it official and pre-ordered my copy from Plaid Hat Games. It struck me as funny when I saw on my invoice "Payment Type: Plastic". I just used plastic currency to get a hobby game with metal money. Isn't it usually the other way around? Lol

Anyway, I've already found other regulars at the weekly game night who are up for playing, and I'm going to get one of the guys at the store to paint the ship miniatures for me (he paints miniatures, when needed, for use on Tabletop) so I am incredibly excited.

While I ponder what I will name my ships (Boaty McBoatface? Nahhh!), who else has their copy ordered and is looking forward to the journey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my preorder in and I believe that I have a group of 4 that are planning on playing. I'm pretty happy with my choice to preorder and not have to rush to the booth at Gen Con. It will suck to see people playing it in the halls while mine is still prepping to ship, but at least I get the metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have to worry about that, since I won't be at GenCon. But with this being a campaign game that you want to play with the same players for all fifteenish games, GenCon doesn't seem like the optimal place to start a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've even less experience with Legacy games, but I pre-ordered this a couple of months ago. I've a passing interest in the Age of Exploration, but a friend in my game group loves it. Since he and his daughter both also love moderately complex games (both Dungeon Petz and Eclipse went over very well), I trust this will be a hit.

Sadly, I skimped and ordered a regular production copy from CSI and thus won't be getting the coins. I've regretted it ever since and plan to buy a set if I ever have the extra cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am super excited for SeaFall.

Got my gaming group all lined up, have painted some realistic resources so they are the appropriate colours and which I plan to use to replace the wooden cubes (the pile of linen and the closed bags from the Stonemaier treasure chests for white cloth and yellow spice respectively - I plan to use the wood and metal realistic resources from Scythe when that finally arrives for the brown wood and black iron respectively), and I've already started coming up with a list of possible names for Leaders, Provinces, Ships and Advisors.

I think I will try to reference literature or popular culture when I get to name something and so am thinking of going with "Vingilot" for my main ship (from Tolkien) and maybe "Unicorn" for the other (from Tintin), although "Pequod" (from Moby Dick) or "Demeter" (from Dracula) are also pretty cool.

For my Province name I'm thinking either "Florin" or "Guilder" (sworn enemy of Florin!) from The Princess Bride. Might call my Leader "Humperdink" but I think maybe I'll try to come up with something better than that. "Westley something" perhaps? I think my Leader's name might depend on which gender and nationality I pick though.

There are thousands of cool fictional island names out there. I think I will try to mix and match and so I hope to get some names on the board from a range of sources such as Monkey Island, Gulliver's Travels, The Earthsea Quartet, etc. My current favourite names are "Isla Nublar" (Jurassic Park), "Membata" (LOST), "Roke" (The Earthsea Quartet) and the "Ping Islands" (Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou).

For Advisors, there are also so many great ones out there: Ishmael and Queequeg from Moby Dick, Stephen Maturin from Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Jack Driscoll from King Kong, Hector Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean, Edmond Dantes (Count of Monte Cristo), Billy Budd, Nathaniel Drinkwater, Davos Seaworth, Bluto...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
StupidGabe wrote:
I too am super excited for SeaFall.

Got my gaming group all lined up, have painted some realistic resources so they are the appropriate colours and which I plan to use to replace the wooden cubes (the pile of linen and the closed bags from the Stonemaier treasure chests for white cloth and yellow spice respectively - I plan to use the wood and metal realistic resources from Scythe when that finally arrives for the brown wood and black iron respectively), and I've already started coming up with a list of possible names for Leaders, Provinces, Ships and Advisors.

One thing to note, here: make sure to match the amount of each resource, too, as the rule book took pains to spell out that the resources are a limited quantity.

But...yeah, I have a Note on my phone where I've been jotting down names for things for months. Province name depends a little bit on which color I get, but I'm gunning for the blue province, to be named something like Midnight or Cobalt. Most of my ship/people/island names come from semi-recent fantasy books, as I want names that feel like they aren't tied to anything too popular too closely. Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy are the places where pop culture names got used a lot, but I kind of want to maintain a semi-original feel for SeaFall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm mostly just thinking about ship names right now.

I want to improvise on names for islands and advisors, because I might get inspired by the story in the prologue or have a flash of inspiration from the artwork or what unfolds in the game. Deciding what to name an island after revealing one or two of its secrets or responding to in-jokes that arise seems more satisfying and less pre-scripted. Plus I might not get to name any of the islands!

For ship names, I really want to name one Cutlass. What I name the other may depend on which province I get. I'm favoring the one with the trident emblem. I doubt anyone in my play group would object if I call dibs. I am paying for the game after all. I don't think that one concession is too much to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Naming things is hard.
Thematically, I have been debating between some "consistent fictional universes", like Breaking Bad (Emperor Heisenberg!) or even Red Dwarf (Admiral Rimmer!)

But I haven't settled on anything yet, and might just name things on-the-fly with completely made-up gibberish as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Another thing to note for naming is that the backs of the province boards apparently have some sort of history of the province on it (described on Welcome sheet), so being flexible with the names is good. Might get inspired by your province history. I mean...gotta know the story of the red unicorn before naming that one, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure most the other folks in my planned game are not going to have any names in mind up front, and might end up with names like Boaty McBoatface, Joe, Charmander, and Bill... but I gotta at least try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jealous. I would love to play this one but my primary play group is at lunch and the games would go too long. Pandemic Legacy worked really well. I'll watch for reviews but if playtime could be shorter I'd be all over this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pre-ordered. Thinking of names: HMS Beagle, Discovery, Mayflower, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria, Constitution, Dreadnought, Perhaps even Enterprise. For people: Magellan, Darwin, Hudson, Champlain, Cartier, Colombus, Cortez, Tasman, Amudsen, Franklin, Drake, etc.
Okay, maybe too Nautical, could go with Colbert for Finance, Bruneleschi for Architect, etc.
My plan is to fit the game to the era of discovery circa 1500 - 1700 more or less. Kingdoms lend themselves to European powers and perhaps the Republics of Genoa, Venice, Pisa and Amalfi? We'll see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely agree on being flexible. That being said, I plan on sending out an email to my gaming group a week or so before our first game to remind them to come up with some ideas for names before hand. What I don't particularly want is "joke" names like boaty mcboatface just because my friends can't be assed to think of something better (though you can only do so much to influence people).

I know that there are only ten of each resource and that that's important but thanks for the reminder.

I can see myself wanting to play this game too badly to have time to paint the ships so I might just swap them out for the equivalent ones from merchants & marauders that are already painted. Must just check that the colours match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've pored over the materials available for this game, I've discovered one serious flaw that makes this game totally unplayable. And that is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
that it's not on the table between my friends and I yet.

(Ok, for those of you saying "oh, no, it's a spoiler -- I don't want to read that and ruin my game": it's not actually a spoiler, its perfectly safe, go ahead and read it!)

And there's a plan in place to remedy that serious flaw, with multiple backups. Since we'd like to start playing as soon as possible, Plan A involves rushing the booth at Gencon, since one of us will be there. I've got my fingers crossed. Plan B involves our Plan A operative emailing us the news that other jerks have stolen the copy of the game that should have been ours, at which point I will preorder from PHG. Plan C goes into effect if PHG shuts down preorders earlier than they indicated, at which point we order from an online site.

So not preordered ... yet. But there's a Plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
StupidGabe wrote:
Definitely agree on being flexible. That being said, I plan on sending out an email to my gaming group a week or so before our first game to remind them to come up with some ideas for names before hand. What I don't particularly want is "joke" names like boaty mcboatface just because my friends can't be assed to think of something better (though you can only do so much to influence people).

I'm very afraid of this, too, personally. I'd like people to get into it and not treat it as a joke. I planted the seed when I told my group I was ordering it, "start thinking of cool thematic names! Let's make it a good story." But I'm probably also going to just straight up request some restraint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think joke names are just fine.
According to the blurb, "the world is starting to claw its way out of a dark age and has begun to rediscover seafaring technology".
Which, to me, implies that there could be a far future post-apocalyptic vibe.
We won't be sure until the Legacy story elements start to unfold.
Maybe I've just been looking forward to the Dark Tower movie for too long as well

But "Boaty McBoatface" could be misunderstood ancient lore from the World That Was, and perfectly respectful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Personally, I think joke names are just fine.
According to the blurb, "the world is starting to claw its way out of a dark age and has begun to rediscover seafaring technology".
Which, to me, implies that there could be a far future post-apocalyptic vibe.
We won't be sure until the Legacy story elements start to unfold.
Maybe I've just been looking forward to the Dark Tower movie for too long as well

But "Boaty McBoatface" could be misunderstood ancient lore from the World That Was, and perfectly respectful...

And so it was, in the age of Internet Democracy, whatever either of those words ment, that the vessel was to be named Boaty McBoatFace, as it was decreed by the virtous people of the Britanic Empire.

However, the tiranic members of the Queen's council, a Queen that had increased her lifespan through unspeakable means, burnt the wooden boxes that the people had put their votes on, and renamed the vessel with a name now lost to the tides of time. This action is widely considered by scholars to have caused the Brexit revolution, that ended all life in the island, or at least caused mild inconvenience to it's inhabitants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nah, it's the Sir David Attenborough

Which, come to think of it, might be a fun name for an advisor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:

All I know is that any boaty mcboatfaces in my game are gonna get sunk a lot once ship to ship combat is (presumably) unlocked devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StupidGabe wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

All I know is that any boaty mcboatfaces in my game are gonna get sunk a lot once ship to ship combat is (presumably) unlocked devil

You should make a counterfeit rule sticker that says any ship named Boaty McBoatface costs others no enmity to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StupidGabe wrote:

Oh, man, another cannon misfire. Sorry about that! I'll have my crew check on that again right away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
You should make a counterfeit rule sticker that says any ship named Boaty McBoatface costs others no enmity to attack.

... and grants a reputation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Muller
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I have avoided all the rules previews and will just insist that each person in the playgroup read the rules once I get notice of pre-orders shipping.

My big dilema is that my core group is 6 strong. I think 2 guys will end up sharing with the late night guy getting the edge as we will save it for the ultra-late sessions so as to get others too salty. (I considered getting a 2nd copy, probably should have).

If we get to name our ship, I am thinking perhaps the CC Bistromathic II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to name two ships. Will the other be the Hitchhiker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Muller
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Almost Certainly, now that you have suggested it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.