Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like JR and Rob would be able to tell us so many more interesting stories after we have played through the game than they can tell us before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

x100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hoornbeek
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time: Seafall release date +7 months.
Setting: A local boardgame store with several tables hosting a typical game night.
Characters: Three lifelong friends gathered around their mid-campaign Seafall world.
Background music: It doesn't matter because they are too engrossed in the game to notice.

Our scene opens as one character builds a dice pool for the most difficult exploration endeavor attempted to date in this world.
A hush falls over the table as three hunched figures all start counting successes even before the dice come to rest in the corner of the table.

Count LeChuck-"Yes! I just discovered the great, long-lost Something of the land of Something-or-Other!"
Prince Guybrush-"Ha! But your flagship, the Cunning Intrepid Screaming Narwhal almost sank! I am now poised to strike the final blow against your miserable fleet!"
-Slight pause- while our characters wait for LeChuck to find the correct entry in the Captain's Booke...
Duke Stan S. Stanman-"Um, guys, do you know who those two people are over there in the shadows? They seem to be watching us."

Shadowed character 1-"Shhh! I told you they would notice us!"
Shadowy character 2-"But they're getting to the good part! I just have to see their reactions!"

Our group quickly goes back to reading the Captain's Booke, because they have thought of nothing but this game and this world for the last months (being able to play but once per month).

Count LeChuck-"Yes! I am rewarded for my efforts by (insert spoiler of choice)! ... ... Wait... that means we have to do WHAT? That changes EVERYTHING! I bet Rob and JR put stuff like this in here just for people like us! AAAAHHHHHHHH!"

Barely muffled snickering and a clinking of pint glasses can be heard from the shadowy corner right before Rob and JR reveal themselves. Having enjoyed their entertainment for the evening they approach our intrepid gamers' table to offer autographs and to share a drink and some stories...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I feel like JR and Rob would be able to tell us so many more interesting stories after we have played through the game than they can tell us before.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I really can't wait until it's ok to just talk about the whole game. It'll be years, if ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I really can't wait until it's ok to just talk about the whole game. It'll be years, if ever.

I hope to be there for it. Then you can tell us all about what led to the inclusion of the giant lobster-poodle miniature in the sixth chest. Oops, I wasn't supposed to mention that! (Inside information from the voices in my head)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

There's a solution to that. What you do is create a series of forums on the publisher's website. The first forum can only be accessed by players who have attached a single-use "license" code to their account. There are five single-use codes in the game box. The second forum can only be accessed by players who have attached a "stage 2" single-use code to their account. There are five such codes ... in the first unlock box.

(See where I'm going with this?)

Then you could discuss any aspect of the game, and only players who have completed the corresponding section can access the information. (And maybe a few who cheat the system, but if they're that desperate, then you shouldn't feel bad about spoiling the game for them...)

Heck, you could even post "time capsule" responses to us poor slobs waiting to play the game, which we'd be able to read ... when we've reach the right stage of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
jayahre wrote:

There's a solution to that. What you do is create a series of forums on the publisher's website. The first forum can only be accessed by players who have attached a single-use "license" code to their account. There are five single-use codes in the game box. The second forum can only be accessed by players who have attached a "stage 2" single-use code to their account. There are five such codes ... in the first unlock box.

(See where I'm going with this?)

Then you could discuss any aspect of the game, and only players who have completed the corresponding section can access the information. (And maybe a few who cheat the system, but if they're that desperate, then you shouldn't feel bad about spoiling the game for them...)

Heck, you could even post "time capsule" responses to us poor slobs waiting to play the game, which we'd be able to read ... when we've reach the right stage of the game.

Or you could, you know, just use spoiler tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, man: this one seems like a flop.

There's been practically zero hype for Seafall at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
jayahre wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Nah, there are always ways - like a Podcast that is clearly flagged as containing spoilers. Even though I'm only half way through PL, I hope there is something like that soon, and if it happened and download it and wait until I've finished playing to listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:

Could it have to do with there being roughly 150 copies in the wild?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nichols
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atras wrote:
laserjudas wrote:

Could it have to do with there being roughly 150 copies in the wild?

I believe that comment was facetious. It was posted the week before Gen Con, when hype was at its peak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed it was. I feel sheepish now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.