Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

I just came across this game on the geek and I find it very intriguing.

There's one big problem with it though, it's not color blind-friendly. It uses different coloured cubes and discs for resource, and it's a pain to differentiate some colors in artificial lightning conditions.

Are there any plans for making a deluxe edition with resource tokens instead of colored cubes? This game could use some great tokens.

If not, then is there hope for color blind-friendly upgrade cards? There're colors that are safe to use with color blinds too, so changing the resource colors to safe colors would help too.

One last question:
I've read in another topic that an expansion is in the works. Will that be available via kickstarter too? If yes, then can we buy the base game with the second run as an add-on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
Hi!

I just came across this game on the geek and I find it very intriguing.

There's one big problem with it though, it's not color blind-friendly. It uses different coloured cubes and discs for resource, and it's a pain to differentiate some colors in artificial lightning conditions.

Two of our playtesters and demo-ers have some degree of colorblindness, so this isn't the first we've heard this concern. We did use red, green, yellow, and blue, but we did try to select hues of each that were discernable to colorblind folks. We also did our best to match the paint on the cube to the icons on the cards and tiles so that even if they don't look green and red, you could still match the cube to the icon.

gaborpivarcsi wrote:
Are there any plans for making a deluxe edition with resource tokens instead of colored cubes? This game could use some great tokens.

If not, then is there hope for color blind-friendly upgrade cards? There're colors that are safe to use with color blinds too, so changing the resource colors to safe colors would help too.

We had no concrete plans for a deluxe edition, though we have talked about the possibility. We toyed with the idea of a simpler token replacement pack but the icons are everywhere in the game, so changing to tokens would require changing most of the tiles and cards to mactch. That means that the best way to do it is a full deluxe edition, but that isn't something we could afford to do with the first printing.

gaborpivarcsi wrote:
One last question:
I've read in another topic that an expansion is in the works. Will that be available via kickstarter too? If yes, then can we buy the base game with the second run as an add-on?

The current plan is for the expansion to be a Kickstarter as well, and for the base game to be available through that. We are hoping for sometime in the first half of next year for that to happen, but nothing is set in stone yet. Of course if you can't wait until then, we still have some of the first print run available for sale, some of which are in the UK (so still EU friendly for now.)

Thanks,
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answers Dave!

I think I'll wait for the next Kickstarter to get the game together with the expansion. I have a big backlog of "must play" games, so I'm in no hurry.

As for the colors, what interesting is I can differentiate the actual cube token colors on the photos easily, but I have some trouble with the graphical colors on tiles. Maybe it's a problem with the photos lighting, so it can be identified easier in the "real world".

Another idea for helping out the fellow color blind folks with a second printing of the game:
You can put a small icon (or letter based on color) on the tiles and cards, to help identify the actual resources instead of only color coding them. The token cubes don't need to be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.