Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm primarily a eurogamer and I have to say that in my experience the 3v3 skirmish mode of this game is surprisingly balanced considering all the crazy thematic powers.

But I recently got the four extra playmats (Freedom Tower, Wagner Mars Base, Citadel Of The Sun and Mobile Defense Platform) and one thing that was immediately apparent is that they have no elevation, so I think characters with mobility would lose that advantage.
I was thinking maybe they could get +1 +2 to their movement value or +1 dice to roll on movement.
Is that a good idea or did this just not matter that much when playing? Or is it just part of the different scenario? Any experiences when playing on these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
Or is it just part of the different scenario? Any experiences when playing on these?

I'm new to the game and have not yet played on the mats, so cannot address the second question. For the first: basically yes. These are specific locations within the Sentinels storyline, so I expect that greatly influenced the map design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
These are specific locations within the Sentinels storyline, so I expect that greatly influenced the map design.

While I agree with that, I would rephrase the question. Would these maps be good for a tournament, or would that basically eliminate a lot of characters? Another thing beside mobility is reach +X. If there's a wall blocking off your line of sight, it's not that helpful.
I don't really mind all this, I'm just fishing for some expereiences of other players or maybe some official comment on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournaments have been played on the playmats. Certainly a lack of elevation diminishes the value of mobility, but a map favoring certain characters over others isn't a barrier to use, as long as it isn't excessively egregious. I certainly wouldn't recommend giving out another bonus instead of mobility on these maps.

Reach is still useful for attacking at longer ranges; sure, walls block line of sight, but elevation blocks line of sight too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.