Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've played twice in solo mode and twice in 6 player mode (one extreme to the other!)

This session report is for the latest 6 player game. Five people new to the game, although they all understand worker placement (well most of them. Jake kept playing visitor cards like they were free actions!)

This turned out to be a very worker heavy game. Two of the players had the Papas that gave them an extra starter worker, so we were already at 20 workers.

Spring/Summer pass with little incident, players had various strategies to fulfil and there was minimal cursing as there seemed to be space for everyone. Winter started out with a bang though. Jake was rather exited to have got the winter visitor card that allows all players to train a worker for £1 and give him 1VP. Well, my carefully orchestrated plan went out the window as he shot into a 5VP lead and then followed up with the WV card that allows you to recall your grande worker for 1VP. Suddenly he's ahead by 8VP!

Fortunately it did slow down a little from the exciting start, but now there were ~28 workers on the board and spaces were constantly full and there was far more cursing of the lack of space!

During the next 5 years or so, my strategy was a fairly simple plant/gather/age whilst I built the medium/large cellars and gathered orders for a late game splash, collecting WV cards with the fulfil wine order action so I could fulfil multiple orders in a single turn.

However, I made the classic WP/Euro mistake of not keeping my eye on what everyone else was doing. I blame the fact that I was explaining cards, helping others with their questions/strategy/etc., and I was caught on the hop at 14VP when in Summer Jake played another visitor card and hits the 20VP mark.

All hell breaks out as the rest of us suddenly reassess our victory strategy. I could almost see the lights dim in the room as we all overclocked our brains to compute the various options.

The dust settles with 3 players conceding defeat, Jake on 21 points, Eric on 20 points and me on 19 after a 5VP wine order and bonus VP.

I've used up my Grande, there are no winter spots left. It's looking hopeless.

Eric uses his Grande to play the Winter Visitor card that allows you to recall your Grande worker for 1VP.

Ohhh.... Can I fulfil another order? do I have enough wine? Yes! I have! I can scrape a 3VP order in for the win!

Final score: Me 22, Jake 21 (>£5), Eric 21 (£3).

Nailbiting to the end and a fantastic game.

Everyone walked away wanting another game, which is a double win in my book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.