tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Remind me again who Michael Brown is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

He is the guy that robbed a store, and then attacked a police officer and was shot and killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
To highlight issues of police violence against people of color and appeal to the minority vote would be my guess. It makes a lot more sense than having Scott Baio or Antonio Sabato Jr. speak at a convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just remembering how when Pat Smith spoke at the RNC convention, the media lost their minds and declared she had no moral authority to speak.

Will they say the same about this guy's mom?

(Oh, probably not.)

Media be media.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

He is the guy that robbed a store, and then attacked a police officer and was shot and killed.
Because many people thought it was an example of excessive force by the police officer. Excessive and lethal force by the police is a major issue in many people's minds, especially the poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm just remembering how when Pat Smith spoke at the RNC convention, the media lost their minds and declared she had no moral authority to speak.

Will they say the same about this guy's mom?

(Oh, probably not.)

Media be media.

Maybe the difference is that the person she blamed (Clinton) never directly killed anyone, and the blame is only indirect. As opposed to an organization that directly killed Mrs Browns sun.

The jury is still out over Benghazi, not even the killer disputes he shot an unarmed man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Because many people thought it was an example of excessive force by the police officer. Excessive and lethal force by the police is a major issue in many people's minds, especially the poor.

I wonder if Michael Brown's mom is going to discuss the fact that in her son's particular case, it was determined by the Department of Justice (Obama's DoJ nonetheless) that the Michael Brown incident was, in fact, NOT an "example of excessive force by the police officer".

Yes, there are many examples of excessive force by police officers, but the shooting of Michael Brown was not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

I wonder if Michael Brown's mom is going to discuss the fact that in her son's particular case, it was determined by the Department of Justice (Obama's DoJ nonetheless) that the Michael Brown incident was, in fact, NOT an "example of excessive force by the police officer".

Yes, there are many examples of excessive force by police officers, but the shooting of Michael Brown was not one of them.
Sorry, but form a non American perspective, yes it was as the man was unarmed.

I understand the DOJ has said it was not, and that for many is the problem. The idea that shooting to death an unarmed man is not excessive force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the Dems just want to make the racial divide even bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
I think they are trying to promote less violence by making sure that each use of force is justified and properly applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Why?

We know why: a very weak platform needs to garner support any way it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
I think they are trying to promote less violence by making sure that each use of force is justified and properly applied.

Maybe they should pick someone else, rather than the mother of a criminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
How exactly does giving minorities a voice on a national stage and addressing their concerns widen a racial divide?

If anything, I think doing something like, say, electing a man who wants to build a wall and ban Muslims would widen that gap much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Why?

Because criminal lives matter ? I assume this is part of their criminal voter drive.

Also, what a role model for the DNC !

Stay classy my Democrat friends, stay classy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Maybe she is going to call for body cameras to be fitted to all police officers, or maybe she will make a plea for kids to not break the law, or maybe ...who knows what she will be saying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Odds are, in a police state where the Police use excessive force they are going to use it on petty criminals. No one should be executed for stealing candy or cigarillos or whatever he stole. Having said that, his crime was not even known by the officer in question. It is a fact that he did not stop Brown because he met the description of the person who shoplifted. So, he was stopped, a situation escalated and he was shot and killed without knowledge that he was a criminal. If a cop had shot and killed Winona Ryder for shoplifting clothes, I think her Mom would have a right to speak out that her daughter should be in the justice system, not the cemetery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a DNC thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerGoble1 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
How exactly does giving minorities a voice on a national stage and addressing their concerns widen a racial divide?

If anything, I think doing something like, say, electing a man who wants to build a wall and ban Muslims would widen that gap much more.

Because the liberals seem to see it as a black man was needlessly gunned down.
Someone else may see it as a criminal got shot while committing a crime.

These groups yell at each other. Liberals rant about black lives.
The other group just thinks criminal shot.
Racist remarks fly while one group just thinks, he was a criminal. The other group gets pissed off they are being called racist, and it just devolves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
We have a DNC thread.

So?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Odds are, in a police state where the Police use excessive force they are going to use it on petty criminals. No one should be executed for stealing candy or cigarillos or whatever he stole. Having said that, his crime was not even known by the officer in question. It is a fact that he did not stop Brown because he met the description of the person who shoplifted. So, he was stopped, a situation escalated and he was shot and killed without knowledge that he was a criminal. If a cop had shot and killed Winona Ryder for shoplifting clothes, I think her Mom would have a right to speak out that her daughter should be in the justice system, not the cemetery.

Oh please.
He didnt get shot for robbing a store.
He got shot for physically attacking a police officer.

I bet you STILL cant see the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Colour me pink and call me a flamingo, who wouild have guessed it not as it seems.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/michael-brown-s-mot...

So in fact she has not been invited the group she is part of has. She has not even be given a speaking time in an event featuring (at least) 7 people (excluding Bill Clinton).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
We have a DNC thread.

So?

So be polite. The RNC peanut gallery was kept in the thread for the most part. Try to do the same. You're free to bring this up, just trying to svoid spamming the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
We have a DNC thread.

So?

So be polite. The RNC peanut gallery was kept in the thread for the most part. Try to do the same. You're free to bring this up, just trying to svoid spamming the forum.

Holy fuck, someone started a political thread in a politics thread.
Think of the electrons.
SAVE THE ELECTRONS!
Are you just trying to keep the utter shit storm that is the DNC quiet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Oh please.
He didnt get shot for robbing a store.
He got shot for physically attacking a police officer.

I bet you STILL cant see the difference.
Do you know why he attacked the police officer? Do you know he wasn't operating within a "Stand Your Ground" mindset? In these neighborhoods where the culture has developed where people believe that cops are the enemy and will arrest, beat and kill you if they even suspect you are up to no good. Where people believe these things happen because of the color of their skin.

Here's what we do know. He was shot and killed after the physical attack, not during it. Do you think the wannabe Judge Dredd was justified in giving him a sentence of death? Many people don't. Many people believe that there are many non-lethal options in that situation.

So, disregarding the shoplifting, I thought that was what you were referring to, I still don't think a person should be shot after a physical altercation unless there is a risk of death of the officer or bystanders. If the cop is truthful and Brown was going for his gun, that makes it pretty clear Brown didn't have a gun, so I'm not seeing the mortal threat. Why did the cop? I think his Mom has the right to ask that question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.