Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Orr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all,

I've been wanting to get into Star Wars X-Wing for a little while now. I'm an old hand at 40k and WHFB, but life moves on, I don't have the time for painting hundreds of miniatures and hey... I love Star Wars! Plus I've heard that this is a great game, so imagine my thrill when I saw on the Hot Deals thread that Force Awakens starters were on clearance at Target for $12!

So I bought one yesterday. My question is this:

At that price, should I pick up a second set? Would they be useful, tactically or thematically? It seems like a good deal, one X-wing and two TIES for $12. I haven't even read the rules yet, but wanted to ask before the clearance ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them all for $12...can probably sell those (new) that you don't want to keep, and they also make great gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
multiple cores is definitely the way to, especially at that price. great value on the ships and gives you an extra set of templates, tokens, etc. you'll want six dice of each colour too; three is not enough.

i'd also consider getting the original core.

great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two cores is definitely nice, but I'd actually suggest three at that price.

That will get you three x-wings and six Ties.

If you add one x-wing expansion and one tie expansion (for the cards not in the core), you have a handy little fighting force to start.

After that, I'd suggest the forthcoming expansion of "Special Forces Tie" (another TIE) and "Heroes of the Resistance" (Poe's Xwing and the Falcon). It'd be a nice way to re-fight the movie scenes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two core sets give you a definite price advantage. You'll want more dice and an extra damage deck (nice for each side to have their own). Plus the extra maneuver templates and such is a bargain for just a bit more that and X-Wing and two TIE fighters.

You'll want the other expansions at some point for the pilots and upgrade cards but having two cores is almost a default purchase for those that play even occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suggest 2 sets and then expand out with different ships. That's where the game shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core is great, but I'd buy the original core so you have different ships and pilots.

Edit: 12$ ?!! Get three!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good deal, but I had a hard time justifying even one when I mainly just wanted the different pilots and a couple of upgrade cards out of it. I can't imagine having any use for two of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two of each core set- advantageous for many reasons:

1. Damage deck - having two copies of the damage deck is better for playing with friends.

2. Maneuver templates - each player can have a complete set, makes moving faster(not a huge deal, and in tourneys can be disputed to use just one)

3. DICE!! A "complete" set of dice is widely agreed to be 6 of each (12 total). Core sets come with 3 of each, so in order to have enough you need extra dice.

4. Cheap factor. Core sets are one of the cheapest ways to get more ships(one core retails for $40, while blister retail for $15). You get 3 ships, save $5 and get all the other goodies that come in the core set.

Those are all good reasons to buy multiple core sets, but ultimately it is your money. At this point most of my friends have their own stuff, so having 4 sets of templates and 4 damage decks isn't as useful, but when I do teach a new player I appreciate the extra components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Enjoy the first hit, it's cheap.
Then hold on for the ride, the addiction and then the shrivalling of your wallet.
Go ask Alice...when she's 10 feet tall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core, for sure. Dice, range ruler and maneuver templates, it's all good stuff to have more of.

Three FA cores is probably pushing it - a naked swarm of the lowest cost TIE/fo pilots maxes out at six. Having four (from the cores) and one TIE/fo expansion (for the extra pilots) will give you most of what you need, there.

Similarly for the T-70 X Wings, two from the cores, one expansion puts you in a real nice place to pick up Heroes (repainted Poe (plus MORE T-70 pilots) and the Falcon) and have a good pile of X Wing options without much waste.

After that, the sky's the limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Orr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll go ahead and pick up a second Force Awakens Core Set, then. I would buy the other core set, but it's not $12! I like the idea of then buying the TIE/fo and T-70 expansions, and then maybe Heroes of the Rebellion and Special Forces TIE...

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.