4 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Prepping minis for painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Mahood
Canada
flag msg tools
There are a lot of threads out there about painting minis in CMON games, but it's harder to find information about how to prepare them for painting. I've had a lot of experience painting metal figs, but this will be my first outing with plastic ones. I'd love some help/confirmation about what I've found through digging around before I dive in. Here's what I've seen:

1) Wash the minis with dish soap before starting to remove the mold releasing agent and ensure that the paint will stick to the mini.

2) If pieces are bent, submerge them briefly in hot water to straighten them.

I also have some specific questions:

1) If you rebase the figures, what do you use to attach them to the new base? (Especially for these chibi-figs with the tiny feet.)

2) What's the best way to seal the figures if they're going to get a lot of use - a brush-on sealer or one of the sprays?

Any other advice is also welcome. I've been painting minis in one form or another since 1990, so I've got lots of experience and am familiar with most of the core concepts (priming, shading, drybrushing, and so on.) , but almost all of my experience has been with metal or stiff plastic (think Games Workshop sprues.) Anything that's specific to prepping or painting the softer plastic cast minis common to CMON games would be very appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After dunking them in hot water and straightening them, dunk them in cold water to make them stay in the desired position.

I rebase them like this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1512047/tutorial-re-basing-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used the hair dryer and ice water method to fix bent plastic minis since long before Cool mini or Not even existed. It's worked fine for 30+ years with no issues.

I haven't rebased any of my AQ figures, but I have done many over the years. The easiest and strongest way to do it is to invest in a pin vise, which is basically a tiny hand drill that looks like a mechanical pencil. You drill a small hole into the base and another into the feet of the model and then use a small rod of metal/plastic/etc, depending on the material you are working with, to connect and support the two. With slightly larger models, cut pieces of paper clips work great for this.

Spray on clear coat is definitely the easiest way to go for these types of models. Cheap enough to get, easy to use, and fairly simple. Use short, light sprays and cover the models evenly. I usually do two coats on mine, being sure to spray from various angles to be sure to cover all the various nooks and crannies in the models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ears
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note on sealing miniatures. Using gloss clear coat spray will give you the longest lasting and most durable seal, however your figures will look like they're coated in baby oil. Going over them a with a matte clear coat spray afterwards will drastically cut down on the shine, while still maintaining a quality protective seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.