seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had success with an alternate method of selecting factions and player mats?

So far we’ve only picked them randomly as stated in the rules. This can be quite disappointing when you pick a faction or player mat you’ve recently played or you dislike.
I personally feel the player mat makes a bigger difference then the faction.

I was considering doing a snake draft, similar to catan or smash up. The first player picks either a faction or player mat of their choice. After the last player goes they select their second mat in reverse order. Of course disallowing a player from picking 2 player mats or two faction mats. Thoughts?

I would also assume this would help in cases where players feel the faction or player mats aren’t balanced because they have more choice in the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried drafting factions and player mats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also just pick factions that you want to play. I think player mats are best randomized, as that's part of the puzzle of Scythe. But with the factions, if there's one you like or don't like, just don't take it--pick another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
You can also just pick factions that you want to play. I think player mats are best randomized, as that's part of the puzzle of Scythe. But with the factions, if there's one you like or don't like, just don't take it--pick another one.

Do you think I could do it the other way around? Pick the player mat and get a random faction. I have found my preference in player mat is a lot stronger than my preference for a faction.

Good Game Jamey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, that works too! Whatever is the most fun for you. I think the key is for at least one of them to be random (unless you've played Scythe a lot and want to try a different pairing that you haven't tried before). In my group, people usually state if they have a faction preference, and if they don't, they get a random assignment. Then the player mats are dealt randomly, and if someone already had that exact pairing, they can get another random mat instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timbob1907 Tim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:

I tried drafting player and faction mats over the weekend. It was only a 3 player game and worked pretty well. It took a lot longer than just assigning randomly of course. And I was worried that I had made the wrong choice immediately.

Maybe it would be better with more players, but I felt like there was too much to choose from.

I might try being able to pick one of the two and then randomly getting the other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used an app (WhoFirst) to select which faction would NOT be used (Nordics were chosen). Then we each took a number from 1-4 and placed the 4 colors remaining (Red, yellow, black, and white) in the 'washing machine'. It spit out the colors in the following order: red, white, yellow, black. Thus, player 1 took the RussViet faction board; player 2 took Polania; 3 got Crimea (me); and 4 got Saxony.

Next we handed out the player boards RANDOMLY and White got @1 so went first. The rest of us went in clockwise order around the board - meaning RussViet was second (and also happened to get board #2); I was third with board #4, and board #3 went to the Saxon player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally go with a single mulligan on factions, and player mats to a lesser extent, so that no one gets stuck with the same thing multiple times. (unless they want to, ofc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We played again last night. We let a player pick either a player board or faction board, then after all had made their pick, they would randomly receive their second board.

It worked well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five, soon to be seven, colored cubes in a bag for the faction. Then just a random shuffle to select the player mats. I agree some are better than other but that just makes the game more interesting to me. It adds another layer to trying to plan your way through the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.