Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my pre-order of the Stronghold edition yesterday and I was just curious if anyone else's copy arrived with all of the tiles loose in the box (i.e. no punch board)? I just found it quite odd to find it in this state and wondered if I got a re-shrink wrapped copy or more likely, maybe they pre punched everything to cut down on box weight.

My copy is servicable for sure, although some of the tiles are a little banged up from being transported that way.

Again, just curious.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Orey
Portugal
Cascais
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

yes, all the tiles came loose in the box.

The punched boards were giant, they do not fit in the box :-)

So, the factory choose this solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gil orey wrote:
Hi Steve,

yes, all the tiles came loose in the box.

The punched boards were giant, they do not fit in the box :-)

So, the factory choose this solution.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. It's a lot of nice thick cardboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine did as well, I also was a little thrown by it. One tile slightly bent but overall a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I opened up my box I wondered why the tiles weren't cards (cheaper production thus cheaper price) and why publishers seem to insist on oversized boxes, don't they know how valuable game closet real estate is?

Other than that: the game looks great and I can't wait to get it to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You pick up the tiles off of the board a lot, which would be a lot more difficult with cards. I would think that the tiles would be easier to use.

I agree with you the size of boxes, though. If this is a particular problem for you, you might check out the Bitbox Kickstarter.

One day, though, maybe game publishers will shrink their boxes like computer game publishers did in the 90s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Orey
Portugal
Cascais
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
why the tiles weren't cards

Hi,

there are one good reason to use tiles instead of "normal" card.

In the game play, players pick and place a lot of times the characters.

If they were "normal" card, it will make the game experience much more difficult.

With tiles (because of the thick cardboard) it's much more easier.

You immediately feel this in your first game.

That's why we choose to use tiles meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gil orey wrote:
In the game play, players pick and place a lot of times the characters.

If they were "normal" card, it will make the game experience much more difficult.

With tiles (because of the thick cardboard) it's much more easier.

Sounds totally reasonable (and obvious whistle). And I don't even have to try it before knowing that tiles are indeed much more convenient in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALERT:

At Aldi's there is a "special buy: of Sistema plastic lunch 2-compartments. They just so happen to perfectly fit these tiles and are perfect for storage of tiles in the game. Fit beautifully in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 bits:

I was also slightly thrown by the loose components but everything was all good, no damage.

I agree the box is too darn big. Closet space, New York apartment, aiiii!!!

The tiles rather than cards is the perfect choice, I think. I love the chunky feel of the spy tiles. Also, I know a player who is a card bender and these are safe from him. Well, I hope they are!

Overall I'm very pleased. This is a great looking game with some unique mechanics. Only one game played so far but I'm looking forward to many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Just my 2 bits:

I was also slightly thrown by the loose components but everything was all good, no damage.

The tiles rather than cards is the perfect choice, I think. I love the chunky feel of the spy tiles. Also, I know a player who is a card bender and these are safe from him. Well, I hope they are!

Overall I'm very pleased. This is a great looking game with some unique mechanics. Only one game played so far but I'm looking forward to many more.

I definitely thought the box size was perfect here. I wanted this to be seen as a big box game and not a card sized game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My starting player tile arrived slightly bent. But it really doesn't impact game play. Would have been irritating to have one of the character tiles arrive bent as it would make it distinguishable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Just my 2 bits:

I definitely thought the box size was perfect here. I wanted this to be seen as a big box game and not a card sized game.

Why did you want it to be seen that way? Does a game get more respect if it's got a bigger box? It's an ego thing? Look, it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it! Innovation is one of my favorite games and that fits in a little ol box, thank goodness.

You only have 43 games, big boxes may not matter to you. Living in a New York apartment, with 150+ games, every square foot matters. I resent empty air in my games boxes. I don't need a bigger box to be impressed by the game. Food Chain Magnate is plenty impressive in a pretty small box, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:

Not sure what you mean here. I for one give credit to designers who "think inside the box" and fit a lot of game in a small space. In fact, I've noticed that lots of the really innovative (non-miniature) games are coming in smaller boxes these days. Interestingly, a lot of these games are coming from indie developers and cost less for at least as much game as "big-box" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice-looking game. Disappointed that one of the Mission tiles was slightly bent, surprising since the game was securely packaged in lots of bubble-wrap. The rest of the components and the board were all fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
rdbret wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Just my 2 bits:

Why did you want it to be seen that way? Does a game get more respect if it's got a bigger box? It's an ego thing? Look, it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it! Innovation is one of my favorite games and that fits in a little ol box, thank goodness.

You only have 43 games, big boxes may not matter to you. Living in a New York apartment, with 150+ games, every square foot matters. I resent empty air in my games boxes. I don't need a bigger box to be impressed by the game. Food Chain Magnate is plenty impressive in a pretty small box, for example.

For me, the size of the box is perfect because it is the standard size for many games out there That's one good reason. Having same size boxes makes storage easier when stacking your games on the shelves. Little boxes throw everything off and it all becomes a big mess if not stacked nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy today and noticed this (and wondered the same as the OP...did I get an opened copy).

Doesnt look like any damage

But I was looking forward to punching all the tiles out! Its the best part!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I collected my retail copy today, and I'm underwhelmed by the quality control with regards to the component packing.

Nothing is damaged like some have reported, but I have no starting tiles, eight mission tiles (four of which are duplicates), two first player tiles and 54 character tiles (two of each).

Time to contact Mebo Games I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keven
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for my part i got 12 character tile with a medium corner bent and 1 really badly damaged, and 9 more with a minor corner bent, so, 21 character with noticeable damage, the rest i can live with, the isert was all teared up on 1 side. And to say i was excited to play the game Wont be able for a couple day/weeks ( 8 of the damaged character are starting agents)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
When I opened the big box and saw all the loose components I just gave a gentle sigh and thought, "Cool. Guess this means another foam core insert project. Soon as I am done with Run, Fight or Die (with Expansion 3) I will tackle this. Then Claustrophobia (with its two expansions)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardSoNeverBored wrote:
When I opened the big box and saw all the loose components I just gave a gentle sigh and thought, "Cool. Guess this means another foam core insert project. Soon as I am done with Run, Fight or Die (with Expansion 3) I will tackle this. Then Claustrophobia (with its two expansions)."

Oh you were going to make an insert anyway, weren't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selgador wrote:
Well, for my part i got 12 character tile with a medium corner bent and 1 really badly damaged, and 9 more with a minor corner bent, so, 21 character with noticeable damage, the rest i can live with, the isert was all teared up on 1 side. And to say i was excited to play the game Wont be able for a couple day/weeks ( 8 of the damaged character are starting agents)

How was this resolved for you? I got an excellent response from Gil via email, but unfortunately Stronghold Games has ignored my email. In a game with secrets information having marked tiles makes the game useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When did you email Stronghold? Stronghold is a one man operation, and he was at Essen last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalendar wrote:
When did you email Stronghold? Stronghold is a one man operation, and he was at Essen last week.

Two weeks ago. And yes I knew he would be at Essen which is why I waited another week before posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hang in there rdbret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.