Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my boss tells me that while she was talking to a group of coworkers, that she was told a story about people in the Philippines wrapping their electrical cords in a specific type of coffee and getting significant usage reductions.

I'm a born skeptic, but I'm no scientist. However, neither is she, and no amount of "I Googled it and it's true" is going to make me believe it.

So, is there anyone in the hive mind that would know if this is nonsense or not? It sure seems like it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that you mean coffee beans, right? Because pouring coffee on an electrical cord... well, it has to be beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I'm assuming that you mean coffee beans, right? Because pouring coffee on an electrical cord... well, it has to be beans.

Packets of ground coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an urban legend to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm neither an electrician nor an electrical engineer, but I play a pretty convincing know-it-all/general knowledge guy from time to time...

Going back to some high school/college physics courses here, but maybe it has to do with insulating the wires? Something about inefficiencies and heat loss? Maybe by wrapping something around them, it reduces the amount of hot room temperature air that touches the cables and increases performance?

Edit: I found this link via Google. Reading the comments, it looks like 50/50 as to whether this works. Probably an urban legend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
locusshifter wrote:
no amount of "I Googled it and it's true" is going to make me believe it.

I Googled it and it's true!

http://hubpages.com/technology/Energy-Saving-Tip-1-Coffee-as...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Aha! Someone is trying to sell more coffee. They don't care if you drink it or tape it to your cords. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Since most electrical cords are insulated, running a cord through liquid really shouldn't be a problem.

And if there happened to be a breach in the insulation (but really, replace the cord before that happens), then it will simply trip the circuit breaker. (on the other hand, there's probably many places in the Philippines, and even the US for that matter, where they don't bother with circuit breakers...)

Who knows, maybe running electricity through the coffee will give it more energy too...

Brings a whole new meaning to that feeling of being "wired" after drinking coffee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you used a lot around the high voltage lines from the power plant - would it work for a 'full city' ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
col_w wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Aha! Someone is trying to sell more coffee. They don't care if you drink it or tape it to your cords. shake

Color me skeptical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to wrap an exposed electrical wire around my coffee cup. It gives me that little extra jolt I need to wake up in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you need to switch to decaf at bedtime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wear an aluminum foil hat to increase your lifespan as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gul·li·ble
ˈɡələb(ə)l/
adjective
easily persuaded to believe something; credulous.
"an attempt to persuade a gullible public to spend their money"
synonyms: credulous, naive, overtrusting, overtrustful, easily deceived, easily taken in, exploitable, dupable, impressionable, unsuspecting, unsuspicious, unwary, ingenuous, innocent, inexperienced, unworldly, green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've been doing this for years. It works best with used grounds from a dark roast coffee. But it can't be Starbucks. The electrons don't respond well to anything Starbucks for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone. I can now drink coffee without fear that it will reduce the number of electrical impulses in my brain.

I will however, likely still continue to use it for full immersion of my cell phone when I do not wish to receive calls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.