Raiders of the North Sea» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to create my own variant where I try to beat my high score. I liked parts of it and adjusted the rules a little bit for me to try out again. I'll keep play testing and change the rules. If anybody wants to try it, please do and tell me what you think. If you have any questions, you are welcome to ask them or tell me how you resolved the issue yourself.

Setup
Setup the game just for yourself and for the dummy player place the ship card (to hold it’s worker), the Valkyrie marker and the Armor marker.

Dummy’s Turn
Every turn, do the following for the dummy player:
1. Assign each free worker spot which is a legal placement for the dummy player a number.
2. Roll a D6 and place the worker on the rolled spot. If you roll an unassigned number, re-roll. (If there are only 3 legal placements, sign them two numbers each to speed up the game. You can choose to use a D4 if there are only 4 spots available or just re-roll a 5 or a 6).
3. Assign each worker two numbers (1-2, 3-4, 5-6), roll a D6 and take the worker from that spot.

If a worker is placed on or taken from any of the following spots, do the action written behind it. If it is placed on or taken from any other spot, place a provision token on the dummy’s ship. If this is the ninth provision token, Raid and discard all provision tokens.

Armory: Raise the dummy’s armor 1 level. If the armor is at 6 than Raid instead of raising the armor.
Longhouse: Roll a D6 and take out one of the offerings (1-2 for the left offering, 3-4 middle, 5-6 right).
Barracks: Raid

Raiding:
There are 3 raiding levels, determined by the armory track.
Level 1: Harbours: If the dummy player’s armor is at 0-2
Level 2: Outposts and Monasteries: If the dummy player’s armor is at 3-5.
Level 3: Fortresses: If the dummy player’s armor is 6 or higher.

If the dummy player places it’s worker on the barracks, leave the worker there and assign each spot that corresponds with the raiding level and has not yet been raided a number. Throw a die (D10/D6/D4 depending on the amount of available spot) and raid that spot. After that, do the usual for taking a worker and place that worker the raiding spot corresponding to the raid the dummy just did. If the dummy takes a worker from the barracks spot, just place it on the raiding spot corresponding with his raiding level.

For each Valkyrie token, raise the Valkyrie 1 level. When the Valkyrie level reaches level 2 (and for each valkyrie token after that), do a Raid with the following exception. Assign both the unraided and raided spots (that correspond with the raiding level) a number. Roll your die and raid if the number corresponds with a unraided spot. If the spot is already raided, do nothing. If the newly raided spot has Valkyrie token, perform the raiding action again as just described.

Important: It could happen that the dummy takes a worker with a different color than the one that he needed for the raid corresponding with his raiding level from the barracks (or another spot if he placed a worker on the barracks first). In that case, raid according to his raiding level and put the wrong worker on the raiding spot. As soon as the dummy has the correct worker at the end of his turn, switch the workers. I think the game balance might be upset if random workers are placed on these spots.

My own experience:
For my first game I did not add the provisions and felt the game went on a bit long, so I have not played with that addition yet, but I'm going to do that soon. The dummy seemed to take offering tiles with a nice pace, but the game ended due to the fortresses being raided and there were times when the dummy was doing nothing for a couple of turns in a row. That's why I added the provisions rule. I think I had too much time to do whatever I wanted, because I ended with 104 points, which seems like too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried a game with the adjustments (more raids basically) and it went by pretty quick. The dummy raided over half of the harbors before my first raid because of the valkyrie tokens. In the end, I managed to score 23 points. I did not feel like I was doing very well and the score reflects it.

I think the dummy should take more of the offering tiles, so the variant needs to be adjusted a bit to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.