Hide
9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Mage Knighr first time solo player, could use a hand please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hoiting
msg tools
Hey guys I'm new to BGG, how are you all doing?
Just looking to you guys to maybe help me start my quest in mage knight. I'mpumped to play it just came in the mail but when i opened the rule books i realized the intro "The First Reconnaissance" is a guide for 2. However, I'm playing solo but now am unsure how to start. The solo at the back of therulebook sseems for those with a bit more experience.

Thanks! I been to this site before to look things up and its what convinced me to buy this. I look forward to it a lot.

Cement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

You might consider doing the First Recon with just one player and ignore the solo rules. The solo rules aren't hard, but they exist primarily just to add time pressure to the game and you'll just want to focus on getting the rules down the first game anyhow, so who needs pressure?

Of course, "winning" will be trivial, but that's not the point here.

Mage Knight is an awesome game, and very very good solo, but it can be a bit of a steep climb with it's learning curve. Take your time and ask questions here if you get lost or stuck. After a game or three, it will all come naturally.

After one learning game, you should be able to jump to the solo rules to have a more complete experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

My advice is to just play it solo (without the dummy player) and follow the first reconnaissance tutorial. Learn how to process a turn, how the different locations work and how combat works, don't worry about anything else for your first go. That's plenty to be getting on with, trust me.

When your done with first reconnaissance I would play the first solo scenario without a dummy player also (but that's just me) all it does is put the clock on you, so you can worry about speed and pacing once you have the mechanics solidly in your head..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason - Welcome

Yes I do recall the game walkthrough being pitched at two, but I believe near the beginning it has a section titled "if you are playing solo" or something like that.

Then towards the back of the rulebook is a section about solo tweaks.

The main differences are:
- Introducing a dummy player (however to be honest, i'd ignore this your first game - its there to force you to play at pace, but you don't need that added difficult in game one)
- Size of unit/action/spell offers and number of dice (which are number of players +2, so 3 of each)

That's about it really Please do ask if you need more help, that's just off the top of my head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to sit through videos, I can't recommend Ricky Royal's videos enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU&list=PLB7C824980...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
You can play First Recon solo just fine. All you need is to check how dummy player works, see pg. 12 of the rulebook for that (note the difference between 'rulebook' and 'game walkthrough').

But as others said it's really no big deal to ignore it in your first few go's at the game. It's a timer, nothing more. Might as well learn the game at your own pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
If you're willing to sit through videos, I can't recommend Ricky Royal's videos enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU&list=PLB7C824980...

Fully agree - I watched the full series before I played my first proper game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bailey
United States
Marinette
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
What they said. I watched all his solo playthrough videos before I even opened the box. It made it so much easier to learn and understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hoiting
msg tools
Thanks everyone tons for your replies. What i ended up doing after seeing what you all said was do the Ricky royal as i would play open hand to find and make the exact same movements he did just so I'd have an understanding of what I'm doing. It was fun even that way so tomorrow im really looking forward to playing first recon solo without dummy
Thanks everyone!
Cement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.