Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to this week’s Faction Discussion! Next week, I will finish out the 5th faction and probably after that will do one more discussion to compare/contrast the player mat specifics.

Crimea

Today’s Discussion will focus on probably my favorite faction to play, the Crimean Khanate. The yellow team, led by Zehra and Kar, has some really interesting tools for conflict and strong economic presence all the while hovering at the edges of the board. Don’t let the yellow color fool you, the Crimeans aren’t cowards. They definitely can be fighters, and their ingenuity is unsurpassed among the 5 Factions.

Faction Ability:
The Crimeans may once per turn pay a combat card as if it were any 1 resource

Mech Abilities:
1-Riverwalk, move across rivers to Farms/Tundras
2-Wayfare, move to any inactive faction home-base from anywhere
3-Scout, once per combat, you may steal 1 random combat card from your opponent
4-Speed +1

Starting Location:
Starting hexes = Farm/Village
Third home space = Mountain
Neighboring territories = Lake, Village w/Encounter, Tundra/Tunnel, Forest, Village

According to Stonemaier games’ playtest numbers, alluded to last discussion, the Crimean Khanate was one of the stronger factions, leading in wins, in fact! While it may not be statistically significant, I am willing to believe the crafty Crimeans are actually quite capable of such strength.

The Cunning Crimeans
What I like most about the Crimeans is their faction ability. These are usually the coolest part of a faction, however, some factions like the Rusviets and Saxons have other MVP candidates as their best part: in Township and Underpass, respectively.

Crimea’s faction ability creates an amazing secondary market for combat cards, allowing you to supplement your income, cover short-comings, and providing fast access to the resources you may lack at any given time.

Coincidentally, each faction mat has the largest coin output for a bottom row action directly under the “Bolster” action. For other factions, bolster is used as a deterrent, a way to keep your production actions well-funded, and MAYBE go for the max-power star. Crimea could care less about the power, they want the combat cards! If Crimea can get an early upgrade on the Bolster action, it effectively becomes Trade version 2.0. Same effective number of resources, but they are more flexible. They can be ANY resource, cannot be stolen, and ALSO can be used for, you guessed it: COMBAT!

Keeping a constant influx of the cards is pretty painless as Crimea, too. The bolster action only costs a coin, and if you can chain into the bottom action, you’ll make 3 back. Building a Monument should be one of your first priorities as Crimea, too. That way you are getting a steady income of popularity on top of the cards. My favorite way to use Crimea is to always spend cards if I can. The combat cards aren’t worth anything at the end of the game, so you gain nothing by keeping them. Holding some 4’s and 5’s, just in case, is naturally best, but those 3 pointers or even excess 4’s can go right into the coal heap with the rest. You have 4 oil and your upgrade action costs 3? Perfect! Now you can stretch that oil into 2 upgrade actions; more if you upgrade the upgrade action!

I absolutely love the theme of this ability. Imagine these scrappy wind-burnt waifs of a faction scrimping and pinching every penny, every resource. They’re constantly afraid of being attacked, so they sharpen their knives and keep their guns well oiled. They fuel their machines and economies on the scrap of the past empire, every new day needs more, but what they have barely works as it is. Everything they own is gerry-rigged and cobbled together from the most random assortment of garbage, seemingly staying together out of sheer willpower and working solely by threat of physical harm. While I may not like their lack-luster mech figures, I adore the story they tell.

Once you get a nice stash of cards working for you (which isn’t hard if you get 2 per bolster and can only spend 1 per turn) your economy starts flowing beautifully- easily flitting from one bottom row action to the next, soaring like a great bird of prey. You start on a farm, so recruiting the enlistment recruit should happen early for you, providing even more card-income, not to mention the 1 time bonus of 2 cards! For balance purposes, Stonemaier Games elected not to give Zehra and Kar any combat cards to start(for good reason, too). So you need to work on this as one of your first priorities, fortunately you still start with the most power out of anybody.

Seriously: get combat cards. make money. (Get bolsters)

Starting Area:

Crimea has a fantastic starting region. It’s no Rusviet Union, mind you, but they at least have a village to start. That means you have the option of building all your workers immediately, or at least getting a fast start off 5 of them. Either way is fine. Personally, I like to build only 5, because you don’t really NEED the extra resources like other factions do. You have COMBAT CARDS, which are objectively way better. If you want them, though, go right ahead! If you want that star, it will be waiting for you at home when you get back anyways.

Your other starting hex is a farm. Not one of my favorite starting resources, but for Crimea it works well. Enlistments don’t typically become very relevant until about mid-game. The first bottom-row most people are taking is a Build or Deploy, usually between rounds 2 and 4. After that, they won’t typically get a second one until around round 6, depending on their priorities and efficiency. As such, most factions aren’t in a rush to get out recruits. They’d rather focus on that first star, or more mechs. Crimea on the other hand, is poised to easily enlist a recruit before his/her neighbors even hit their first bottom row action, definitely before their second. The free stuff compiles fast. So watch your opponents’ trajectory and plan your own to maximize free stuff. If Saxony isn’t in the game, the build recruit is good for a neighboring Polania. If you are next to Rusviet, you might want to score that Upgrade one. If you can, recruit the enlist guy first, that way you get all 3 possible combat cards from yourself AND your neighbors. It will pay dividends. DEFINITELY take the combat card 1-time bonus first. It’s a no brainer. The other three aren’t really timing specific, but those combat cards can go to work immediately.

The third home hex is a mountain, so don’t worry. You have a pretty easy path to your first mech. Here’s the weird part though… Crimea actually has little need to leave their starting territory right away. Rusviet is rushing because they need wood and food, Polania needs encounters and metal, Saxony wants to rush the end-game and the Nords need it because they lack villages. Crimea just sits there quietly at first. Recruiting a little, bolstering, and eventually grabbing the mountain and churning out a few mechs. Then they venture out, not out of necessity, but in desire to explore, claim some land and work on their end-game on their own terms. Keep in mind, the tractor-people literally need fewer resources to accomplish their goals than other factions, trade and bolster can actually cover most of their bases on its own. Recruit, Mech, and Worker stars are basically a given for them, so the Crimeans only need to focus on where to get the last 3.

So what’s Crimea’s first stop outside the Khanate?

Crimea has only a single exit from their homeland via Riverwalk, but it is a GREAT exit point: tundra + tunnel. It is a resource that they lack natural access to, useful in optimizing your engine (making combat cards account for a larger percent of spent resources), good center of the board position, and technically neighbors every other resources you could want via the tunnel. Even if you move towards the factory, you don’t lose access to oil, either. The exit point is also adjacent to an encounter. All in all, I think Crimea has one of the most useful Riverwalk’s in the game due to not having any of the draw backs other faction have. It isn’t even near another faction’s primary exit. The only thing it suffers from is being a tunnel, and therefore easily blocked or attacked, but that is also one of its greatest strengths.

The other way out is the one most people take, and for good reason, it’s stupid fun and really cool. Wayfare allows you to teleport from anywhere on the board to an inactive faction’s home-base.

There they go again! Digging through somebody else’s trash to gather what little they need to survive.

While Wayfare is a little slower going, due to getting you stuck on a space that can’t produce or score points. The upside is that Crimea usually isn’t in a rush to get anywhere. They might be in competition for an encounter, but that’s about it. The other awesome part is once you get the Speed+1 mech or a Factory Card, you can immediately move into a real territory. If one of the base-game’s 5 factions is inactive you have an even better opportunity to claim easily defensible territory unopposed, a secluded encounter, and probably even that tundra space or forest hex you lack. I’m not entirely sure it’s the most efficient way to get out unless you build the Wayfare and Speed+1 Mechs nearly back to back, but that is certainly doable, especially with clever Combat Card use and the ability to spam workers THEN move to the mountain. With Wayfare, you have one less thing to worry about or rush for, because you can always pop in on the very edge of the board, away from all the strife.

Crimea also does surprisingly well using the Polanian approach of building a mine and the Speed Mech first. Even without wood, it’s not hard for them slap together a working tunnel space in your homeland with whatever they have on hand. It leads to probably the fastest way out for them, but it isn’t really necessary unless you want to rush for building bonuses (tunnels, is usually VERY competitive). It does bring flexibility and allow for earlier aggressive movement, perhaps even some encounters.

Mech's and Combat

If there’s one constant of the Khanate, it’s that they can do more with less. We already talked about Riverwalk and Wayfare in terms of early game mobility, and honestly that’s 95% of what they bring to the table. Short of a greedy Nord or Rusviet mech in the expansion faction territories, Wayfare isn’t going to really give you an opportunity to attack. However, it does make it VERY easy to escape. Nobody runs away like the Crimeans. If you don’t want a Polanian or Saxon hunting you down for a kill, feel free to bamf over to Togawa (purple), your own home base, or any other missing faction. Just note that Albion (green) is not safe from Polanian submersible mechs.

The one real combat related mech the tractor people have is brought to us supposedly by Zehra’s pet, Kar the eagle. Our amateur skin-walker sees through Kar’s eyes to scout the battlefield. This is translated into the game mechanic of the “Scout” Mech. It’s a little sad that Crimea doesn’t have more combat mobility but damn if their single combat ability isn’t a doozy. They steal a combat card from any opponent before combat, no matter who initiated it. Here’s that “less is more” approach again. If you only need one combat card to win, you literally spent nothing, no opportunity cost against your secondary resource market. If you need more, that’s fine, because at least you reduced the overall cost. On the off chance you don’t even NEED to spend a card, it’s pure profit. Timing your attacks to maximize on this ability is pretty important and it creates an interesting nexus of opportunity, but pressures your economy a bit if you want to use it fully.

At the beginning of the game, 2 factions stand out as easy targets for the Crimeans: the Rushing Reds, and the, as yet, undiscussed Nordic Kingdoms. Rusviets start with only 2 combat cards, and the Nords with only 1. If the Crimeans wanted to, they could strike at either of them before they really got their economy going. They could even do so, basically without fear of repercussion. You see, since Zehra brings the best power total in the game to start, if you steal 1 of your opponents 2 cards you probably can’t lose. If you bring at least 2 mechs, you win. Guaranteed. Nords could literally have all of the cards stolen in their first fight. Neat fact, both of these factions are those most likely to invade the expansion faction territories you will use Wayfare on!

The most damaging way I’ve seen this Scout ability used, though, is to counter the Red Rush to the factory.

What’s this? Somebody proposing a way to stop the worst, mostest broken part of the game that supposedly ruins it for everybody?

I got you fam.

Think about this: Rusviet gets to the factory and then what? Most Rusviet players I’ve seen just sort of sit there. They sent their character first, maybe take an extra mech. After that they’ll focus on turning inward and cranking on production. That’s the best time to strike! Turn 8: Boom! One tractor Mech out of nowhere. Scout away one card (there’s almost no-way the Rusviets have more than 2 cards, they need power for production and can’t enlist until late game, especially if they rush factory) and do the math.

If Rusviet rushes the factory and Crimea can attack them by turn 8/9 I will posit the conditions are thus:

-Red has maybe 5 power tops. I sincerely doubt they’ve wasted any time during the 3-4 turns post-factory bolstering twice AND not producing. Much more likely to have ZERO.

-Red has 1 combat card (you stole the other one), basically zero chance they bolstered for a card.

-Even in the off chance Red has a mech accompanying the tiger-lady they can only play one card because you stole the second.

-You STARTED with 5 power and have a minimum of 1 combat card. Probably several.

If you play a 5 power card, you are guaranteed a win and will send the Rusviets back to their home territory. You can easily afford their current power +5 just to make sure. If they come back to attack you, Crimea will still have a card advantage, and Red will waste time better spent on their own economy. As for you, you got one of the three stars you were looking for, and a maybe a factory card bonus! Once done, feel free to teleport out and do something more productive.

Proposed turn structure for Red-Rush Counter:

Using the Agriculture Mat for example purposes:

1-trade for oil
2-Move/Upgrade (card buff to mech discount), Zehra goes to farm
3-bolster for 2 cards
4-Trade for metal, deploy Riverwalk Mech (spend 1 card) on farm
5-Move Riverwalk mech to tundra space, Zehra to encounter (maybe get lucky)
6-Trade for metal, deploy scout mech

If you got a free mech from the encounter, you can now bolster and move. Otherwise:

7-move towards factory
8-bolster for 2 cards
9-move to attack factory

OR

1-trade, oil
2 move/upgrade
3-bolster 2 cards
4 trade oil/metal, deploy Riverwalk
5-move/upgrade
6-trade metal/deploy scout
7-move
8-bolster 2
9-move

Arguably the best part about going offensive with the Tractor-Terrors isn’t mech related. It’s their faction ability. By encouraging the Crimeans to draw more combat cards and spend the shitty ones, they are well positioned to always have that ace up their sleeve. If you tangle with the Khanate, you better expect them to toss a 4 or a 5 value card EVERY SINGLE TIME, sometimes several!

Defensively the Crimeans with Scout are rather dangerous even when alone, but in pairs should be avoided at all costs. If you think you can win against 2 combat cards worth 5 power each, you’re insane. All the while risking losing you best card? More insane. Insane in the membrane.

If you think you have the khanate cornered, think again. Even if they’ve run low on cards via combat with other players, odds are they’ve conserved nearly every ounce of their power. Fully expect them to be able to throw 7 power when necessary, it isn’t their main currency, so what do they care?

If Crimea wants to end the game via combat they can hit lone mechs, and even pairs with impunity. They love to swoop in after somebody else fought to scrap the winner. Numbers are usually in their favor even without being opportunistic, their stash of high-value combat cards and conservation of power lends itself well to crushing you when you thought you were strong.

Final Thoughts

Crimea is just so fun an interesting. The secondary market of resources via combat cards, ahem: “persuasion,” is so damn cool, and really good. If you’ve managed to get a synergistic player mat and upgrade a slot you want down to cost only 1 or 2 resources, you can easily stretch a small amount of resources out into a ton work. For example, I love the Agriculture mat because I can get out all of my recruits really early on.

With AG-mat you can bolster to your heart’s content, get the enlist recruit right away, and enlist the others easily; costing 4 grain and 2 oil (via trade this would cost 3 coins), but netting 4 recruits, 12 coins, and 7 combat cards; Which if we are counting, is an effective profit of 9 Coins, 4 recruits, 1 star, and 7 cards/resources!

Wow.

Attacking early in the game also benefits Crimea the most out of any faction, because Scout itself can determine the result of a combat, and can help create a comfortable lead- especially if you steal some resources. After you get that lead, however, you can safely run and hide in the periphery of the board, at basically any player count. Your economy will do just fine even if you just hide out.

It’s weird because you would expect the girl with the long rifle and eagle to be some sort of sniper, able to pick opponents off from a distance or swoop in and out of combat. Instead we have pretty slow approach, due to limited offensive mobility, but their battlefield tactics are excellent so defending the advance is still a bit of a pipe dream! The only way I would feel comfortable letting those terrifying tractors manned by hardened Crimeans get close to me, is if I had a thick shield of workers.

The only place Crimea can be a little weak is getting the structure bonuses. Building them, isn’t that bad, considering you can trade or use one of the 4 forests adjacent to or on tunnels, but getting that board position with your workers AND the wood can be a little slow particularly those like the “adjacent to tunnels” tile. In a 5 player game, good luck on the “on tunnels” card or the “in a row” one. Speaking of Structures, though: Don’t under-estimate the usefulness of the Mill for the Yellows. While they can upgrade pretty easily without oil, an early game mill can really help them out better in the long run compared to upgrading production. Again, I like Crimea with 5 workers, so the extra production from the mill is 20% more and allows the workers at the front to be more flexible while providing steady income of food or metal back home. That extra production space is really why you want it, that way your decisions have less opportunity cost, not to mention it gives you a head start on the structure-star.

Crimea does very well on popularity. Not “dancing-bear” Polania well, mind you, but still very nice to have. The early availability of recruits and relative ease by which you can probably build that monument structure means you can expect decent pop-income from your neighbors, and get it steadily from your now AWESOME bolster action! (Who needs trade when you have BOLSTER?!). If you kind of hit a stagnant point, and don’t think you can reasonably complete your objective, don’t feel like fighting any more, and/or are locked out of really finishing your structures, Crimea still has a cheesy way of closing out the game.

Bolster, Bolster, Bolster.

Only this time, take 3 power and 1 pop. Not much anybody can do about it, but watch as you max out both. It’s usually not an efficient use of resources for other factions, but if you alternate between bolstering and trade you can amass a nice stack of resources to score on (1 coin for 2 resources, worth 3 coins at end of game!). An odd interaction with this “cheese” is that you can also profit from the bolster’s bottom row action. Oh, I’ve already deployed all my mech’s? Well you probably have a heap of metal laying around and a metric ton of combat cards, so cash those out! “Deploy” that non-existent mech for 1 metal and a card, get 3 coins for it! You are literally cashing out early and at a better possible return than otherwise possible. Remember combat cards aren’t worth anything at the end of the game, so cash them in while you can!

Lastly, I want to point out that Crimea does a pretty good impression of Rusviet’s economic rush. The Khantate’s direct access to a village and consistent discounts by using combat cards can accelerate them to be right behind the Reds. The difference is where the Rusviets, while constantly accelerating their economy, can be a little unstable, and difficult to change direction. One unexpected thing happens and you’re slowed to a stop. Complete your immediate goal? Full stop, start the next. Crimea is actually very stable, not likely to be much affected by set-backs, and can be VERY flexible with their intermediate goals. They don’t NEED the middle of the board except for structure tiles, they don’t NEED the resources, and they don’t NEED to finish that star right now to rush the end-game. They’ve learned to do without, so a little bit of loss doesn’t mean much to these hardy people. They’re patient.

To reiterate some early goals Zehra wants her people to pursue:
-Recruit the Enlist guy, take cards
-Upgrade Bolster Action
-Build Monument
-Build Mill
-Recruit the Structure guy
-Bolster often

Any of you care to share some experiences with the cunning and capable Crimean Khanate?

Edit-

Other Faction Discussions:

Rusviet
Saxony
Polania
Nordic
Albion
Togawa
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too, greatly enjoy the Crimeans! I tend to solo game quite a bit, so I decided to play each faction on all four difficulties in a sort of "campaign" style and the Crimeans are my first faction to power through with.

Biggest wins for me:
-Wayfare: In a two player game, the ability to transport to an unused faction's home base is incredible.

-Enlist: I tend to enlist quick to maximize output on bottom row actions, so starting on food is excellent for that strat.

-Coercion: Being able to use combat cards as extra resources is so helpful to pair with "trade" for those 3 resource bottom row actions.

I'm worried that in a seven-player game, they will be the only faction with a nerfed "transport" ability(second mech ability slot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J,

As I mentioned before, these are great and I especially appreciate the parallelism in your writing. To that end, I've formatted your write-ups and printed each one on a set of two-sided pages for players to read before selecting their Faction. Again, great job!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhnk wrote:

I'm worried that in a seven-player game, they will be the only faction with a nerfed "transport" ability(second mech ability slot).

A few abilities will get tweaked for 6 and 7 player games, Wayfare is one of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent writeup! I, too am favoring Crimea lately. They are just so flexible and dangerous. My last game was the killer combination of Crimea + Agriculture; I don't think my son stood a chance (Nords + Mechanical). I even forgot to use the spend a combat card ability. I just spammed workers early, and leveraged the Wayfare to jet around the board. Pop up near his hoard of resources to threaten them, then run away after grabbing a pile in encounters--he could not pin me down at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Seriously: get combat cards. make money. get bitches.

Really? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimea is probably my favorite faction to play so far because of both their faction ability and the Scout mech ability.

Scout can be downright oppressive in some situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love me some Crimea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:

Really? shake

Agreed! The only real blemish on an otherwise excellent series of articles. Might be worth reconsidering... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:

Really? shake

Agreed! The only real blemish on an otherwise excellent series of articles. Might be worth reconsidering... whistle

Sorry guys, I may have been a little overeager... the first 2 statements remain. The colloquialism was just too similar. I couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of thought you've put into each faction is truly astounding. I've been winning most games of this that I've played so far, and even then, I've never optimized my plays like this.

I'm going to have to give some serious thought to all of these strategies and implement them on my next plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
The amount of thought you've put into each faction is truly astounding. I've been winning most games of this that I've played so far, and even then, I've never optimized my plays like this.

I'm going to have to give some serious thought to all of these strategies and implement them on my next plays!

Let me know if it helps!

I definitely want to hear what other people have found to be MOST effective. Me: I just like finding the moving parts of a game. I leave the details for you guys to experiment with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of Scythe, randomly drawing Crimea with the Patriotic player mat. It was a 2-player game vs. Saxony.

Although my opponent seemed to be playing well, not to put too fine a point on it - I destroyed him! I got to the factory, making an objective, and then picked up a ton of encounters, allowing mechs, recruitment and building. I got 6 stars to his none! My final two stars were combats.

I almost felt it was too easy. The guy I played against is a good gamer, but I guess he got it wrong this time. I cottoned on to a couple of good things (rack up power, get combat cards, get movement in order to take encounters and reach the factory first) and it all seemed to fall into place.

Looking forward to future games now...Crimea stronk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: big, fat compliment for your analyzes! I believe, you will help so many gamers new to Scythe in getting potential coherences - as you did for me.
Just a brief question, which should probably rather be asked in the rules section:

You write...
iswearihaveajob wrote:

[...]
An odd interaction with this “cheese” is that you can also profit from the bolster’s bottom row action. Oh, I’ve already deployed all my mech’s? Well you probably have a heap of metal laying around and a metric ton of combat cards, so cash those out! “Deploy” that non-existent mech for 1 metal and a card, get 3 coins for it! You are literally cashing out early and at a better possible return than otherwise possible. [...]

Does this mean you could perform bottom row actions, even though you already gained the star for completing the respective action, in order to print further money?

//plus gaining the permanent bonuses your enlisted specialists set free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:
First of all: big, fat compliment for your analyzes! I believe, you will help so many gamers new to Scythe in getting potential coherences - as you did for me.
Just a brief question, which should probably rather be asked in the rules section:

You write...
iswearihaveajob wrote:

[...]
An odd interaction with this “cheese” is that you can also profit from the bolster’s bottom row action. Oh, I’ve already deployed all my mech’s? Well you probably have a heap of metal laying around and a metric ton of combat cards, so cash those out! “Deploy” that non-existent mech for 1 metal and a card, get 3 coins for it! You are literally cashing out early and at a better possible return than otherwise possible. [...]

Does this mean you could perform bottom row actions, even though you already gained the star for completing the respective action, in order to print further money?

Yep, completely allowed according to Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have done that in a few sessions. Usually you'll look for the $3 action and just keep banging away on that to build up cash (nee, VPs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:

You sure can!

It's not always an effective strategy for most factions, really only profitable when its three coins, but it can help carry you through a dead round before getting back to the thing you really want to crank on. Crimea just has the extra advantage of being able to convert cards to cash, this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:

Yes, it's a general gameplay rule that you can always choose to only take part(s) of any benefits you are due from an action (or an encounter, for that matter).

source:
Rulebook, p.10 wrote:
When taking an action, first pay the cost, then gain the benefit (or only part of the benefit, in the rare case where your strategy depends on a particular benefit).

The case of taking a bottom-row action even though you've already earned the corresponding star is essentially already covered by that general rule, but it's also mentioned explicitly on p.14:
Rulebook, p.14 wrote:
Completing actions: Eventually you may "complete" a bottom-row action (e.g. with the Upgrade action, at some point you may have nothing more to upgrade). After that point you may continue to pay the cost of the action to gain the coins (and the recruit bonus, if applicable).

@OP: Another stellar faction review. Lady Luck has as of yet not had me play the Crimeans, but I'm really looking forward to it. Also anxious to read your thoughts on the player mats (or action mats as I prefer to call them) - bring it! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A worthy addition would be to discuss interactions with the player mats. Like most synergistic one, least synergistic one and tips for each one.
For instance, for Crimea I feel like the Industrial shines and that Engineering is somewhat difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
tublefou wrote:
A worthy addition would be to discuss interactions with the player mats. Like most synergistic one, least synergistic one and tips for each one.
For instance, for Crimea I feel like the Industrial shines and that Engineering is somewhat difficult.

I like Mechanical with them; their starting hexes let them get into a good rhythm alternating mechs and recruits pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wayfair ability is awesome! Besides using it to easily collect some extra encounter markers, combined with Speed +1 I could take my defeated mechs from my homeland, drop them in an expansion faction's HQ, and use the second point of movement to claim some territory. The look of Yellow made them the least appealing to me, but in actual play, they worked very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I went through and gave a thumbs up to all 5 of your faction discussions. They are great. Thank you for posting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco De Trizio
Italy
flag msg tools
hi J Kaemmer! I appreciate very much your article.

I'm new and i didn't understand fully your suggestions:

I choose Crimea and i start with 0 combat cards (right?)
then i follow your advice:

"Using the Agriculture Mat for example purposes:
1-trade for oil
** i have 2 oil now.
** now i don't understand, you mean to upgrade mech discount? (from 4 metal to 3 metal?
3-bolster for 2 cards
*** i can't bolster for 2 cards, because i have not upgraded bolster

where am i wrong?
shall i upgrade bolster action first?
but then i haven't 4 metal to build mech!

Thanks in advance

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcozuma wrote:
** now i don't understand, you mean to upgrade mech discount? (from 4 metal to 3 metal?

What he's saying is to use the Upgrade action to take the cube off of the combat card side of Bolster (thus upgrading Bolster to give 2 Combat Cards) and use it to lower the cost of the Deploy action from 4 metal to 3.
marcozuma wrote:
3-bolster for 2 cards
Yes, you have, in step 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
marcozuma wrote:

What he's saying is to use the Upgrade action to take the cube off of the combat card side of Bolster (thus upgrading Bolster to give 2 Combat Cards) and use it to lower the cost of the Deploy action from 4 metal to 3.
marcozuma wrote:
3-bolster for 2 cards
Yes, you have, in step 2.

Bingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.