GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,623 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Twin Cities Disc Golf Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured with the giant discussion brewing about disc golf in the Pay It Forward list, I'd start a dedicated thread for it.

Me personally, I like playing disc golf recreationally. I've played Kaposia, Acorn, and one other I forget the name of.
The reason I'm not interested in competitive disc golf (even friendly non-league competitive) is I don't have the wrist snap to get the huge distance. I'm probably par +2-4 depending on the hole.

My favorite discs are the Valkyrie and the Tee Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a league player. Generally right around Par at almost any course in town (Kaposia and Blue ribbon pines are closer to +5 due to them being unforgiving).

Tee Rex is a great disc.

If anyone wants to learn while I'm not a great player I'm good enough to teach. Love the game.

B.T.W. I'm happy to play competitively or just for fun. The only person I'm truly competitive with is myself. Given my frequency of play lately I'm guessing I'll be making mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schendel
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you and have much of the same reasons. I like to play, but have no desire to compete.

I also have a whole gang of children, so making time for a regular matches would be near impossible. Meeting up for a game here and there is far more likely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually off work all week so if someone is interested in meeting up I can try to make it. I do have some things going on (cleaning and baseball game) but I should be flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, I play at a friend's house. Him and his neighbor both have a couple acres and each has 6 official baskets around the yards. Some holes are 100 yards or more so you definitely need a driver.

We play Monday nights. If you're free I'm sure you'd be welcome. Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
Matt, I play at a friend's house. Him and his neighbor both have a couple acres and each has 6 official baskets around the yards. Some holes are 100 yards or more so you definitely need a driver.

The farm on 10 half way between Jonathon and Waconia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
I am actually off work all week so if someone is interested in meeting up I can try to make it. I do have some things going on (cleaning and baseball game) but I should be flexible.

I'm off this week as well (heading out of town on Friday). Not sure what the Wife has planned, but could try to arrange something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
ekimmel wrote:

The farm on 10 half way between Jonathon and Waconia?

No, he lives off Laketown Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Schleicher
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I'm excited we have this thread! I have been playing for years, but recently my discs just got destroyed by the kids I work with. If anyone is looking to get rid of some good discs, I'd be willing to talk trade! I prefer Innova, and high-end plastic...but let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What discs are good for a rookie (can throw a regular Frisbee)? I see Play it Again Sports have several. Figured I'd pick up some used ones cheaper and go from there (in case I don't get too into it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
What discs are good for a rookie (can throw a regular Frisbee)? I see Play it Again Sports have several. Figured I'd pick up some used ones cheaper and go from there (in case I don't get too into it).

Stick with easy Medium range drivers and putters to start and see if you like the game. (if you are playing with me I can lend you some and explain how to read what discs will do by brand (they rate them differently).

The two biggest brands are Discraft and Innova but there are a couple of newer brands that are good as well. Buy nothing Frisbee branded. Great starter discs include

Meteor
Cyclone
Stingray
Coyote

They should all be fairly easy to throw.

If you want a driver make it an easy one
beast
valkyrie
sidewinder
xs

Putters are all feel. In the beginning get something that feels good in your hand.

Aviar and magnet are two of the most commonly used.

you won't really know how hard you through (and therefore what are good starting discs) until you get out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohhh buy X or DX plastic to start. They are generally easier to throw for beginners and they are cheaper. Z and Champion plastics are some of the harder to throw but will last longer.

Reality is all plastics have their purpose but a new player isn't ready to see the differences in plastic other than how durable it is. Chances are you will loose a disc before you wear it out.

Get discs around 165 to 170 grams to start. The lighter the disc the easier to throw but the harder control in wind. the heavier the disc the more distance potential and less wind affects it but it is harder to through unless you are strong and have good technique. Hint you likely don't have good technique yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altoid Guy wrote:
Oh man, I'm excited we have this thread! I have been playing for years, but recently my discs just got destroyed by the kids I work with. If anyone is looking to get rid of some good discs, I'd be willing to talk trade! I prefer Innova, and high-end plastic...but let me know!

I should have some extra discs around. I'll see what star and champion plastic stuff I have and don't use. Zero chance of getting a Vulcan or T-Rex out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this talk I think I'm going to go play this afternoon if anyone is interested. I need to be done by 4:30. West side of town (I can do edina, eden prairie, shakopee, victoria) is preferred today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an Innova 3 pack. $20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

My 9 year old son and I just play for fun. We each have a driver and a putter. We initially started with only the driver. I decided to get a putter to take the wear and tear on throwing it into the chains. We picked up our discs up at Air Traffic during one of there sales (20% off I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Schleicher
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

A Buzz and/or a Comet are almost must-have midrange discs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

The disc recommended to me was the Valkyrie. And I do like it the best of the discs I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

The disc recommended to me was the Valkyrie. And I do like it the best of the discs I own.

That is a very easy to throw long distance driver. Air traffic did good by you. Generally speaking a mid range disc like a buzz or comet is going to be a little easier to control and isn't going to take a lot of distance off for a newer player. Reason is most new players are

A. not going to have a lot of spin on the disc
B. throw the disc up in the air.

Both of these issues are less dramatic in a mid range disc. A spinning disc wants to travel to the left (for a right handed back hand thrower). The more spin you put on the disc the more it wants to travel right. Generally speaking Midrange discs (especially those like the buzz and comet) want to travel straight at lower spin and speed making it easier to get the disc to go where you want (straight and then left)

Having too much loft on a disc is going to dramatically increase the amount of right to left travel for the disc as well as decrease the distance (you ever take a Frisbee and play catch with yourself into the wind? ) Because a midrange disc has less right to left travel this effect is less dramatic.

Even in a player like myself, who is by no means a Pro (yes there are pros), will have a difference of about 60 to 80 feet between a buzz and my longest driver (vulcan). My buzz is about a 290 foot throw dead straight with around a 10 foot tail at the end while my vulcan is around 350 but travels around 20 feet to the left at it's fastest and 20-30 feet to the right (I'm left handed) at the end. So you need more space to throw a driver.

Another point of reference is that most holes are 300 to 500 feet. If you can throw a buzz 250 feet where you want you are in good shape for a bogie round (all holes are considered par 3).

Btw if you are an ultimate player and you want to play disc golf everything I just said is out the window. Talk to me and I'll get you a whole different sent of recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw that Tee Rex you have is a bit of a beast for new players. Good disc for throwing into a head wind since it wants to fight hard back to the left.

Ironically the Beast is not a beast for new players. good disc. Threw it for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ri
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't live in the Twin Cities (in fact I don't even know what that means), but I'm very happy that this thread exists. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbowman wrote:
I don't live in the Twin Cities (in fact I don't even know what that means), but I'm very happy that this thread exists. Cheers!

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone been to Afton yet? I've heard it's a little rough yet and needs to be "broken in".

Matt, we play Monday nights at 6. Let me know if you want to join. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Bring a couple beers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - Gotta Go Gotta Throw is having a "blow out" sale right now.

This is the store I got my discs from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
FYI - Gotta Go Gotta Throw is having a "blow out" sale right now.

This is the store I got my discs from.

Ahhhh that's why you got good advice. Best store in town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.