$30.00
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry folks, but I cant seem to narrow this down.

I do not own anything Mansions of Madness, but have always wanted the game. I think I always held out due to what appeared to be minimal replay ability.

Anyways, If I get 2nd edition, do I need anything from 1st edition to have the "ultimate gaming experience" with the app? In other words, would I be missing out on anything game play or adventure wise?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to own anything of 1st Ed to play this game.

If you own any of 1st Ed, you can incorporate some of the components from it into this game and it will increase the variety of monsters, investigators and rooms available to you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Do you think they will eventually release additional 2nd edition products to help aid in the variety as opposed to having to buy 1st edition products?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Do you think they will eventually release additional 2nd edition products to help aid in the variety as opposed to having to buy 1st edition products?

Thanks!


I'm sure they will release 2nd ed expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Do you think they will eventually release additional 2nd edition products to help aid in the variety as opposed to having to buy 1st edition products?

Thanks!


This being Fantasy Flight Games we are likely to see blister packs with individual monsters as well as actual boxed expansions in the future. If they do sell individual monsters it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them are from the first edition. Too many classic Lovecraftian monsters in the first edition to just leave them out entirely.

EDIT: Spelling
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

Do you think they will eventually release additional 2nd edition products to help aid in the variety as opposed to having to buy 1st edition products?

Thanks!


I would assume so, but seeing as how nobody even knew this game was being developed and it is dropping next week, there's really no way to know. I imagine it will depend on sales figures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see/hear some reviews on this once its released!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Do you think they will eventually release additional 2nd edition products to help aid in the variety as opposed to having to buy 1st edition products?

Thanks!


Surely you jest? This is FFG we're talking about. The Expansion Monster will soon break through the Portal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Do you think they will eventually release additional 2nd edition products to help aid in the variety as opposed to having to buy 1st edition products?


Er, yes. This is FFG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see/hear some reviews on this once its released!


And keep in mind that the current theory involves the conversion kit being included in the base set, so you'll have access to the 33 monsters and 16 investigators the 1e would have offered (you'll just lack miniatures, though tokens seem to be included).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
eharding wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see/hear some reviews on this once its released!


And keep in mind that the current theory involves the conversion kit being included in the base set, so you'll have access to the 33 monsters and 16 investigators the 1e would have offered (you'll just lack miniatures, though tokens seem to be included).



There won't be tokens for the investigators (there are way more than 4 investigators from MoM 1st Ed).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that we will see something much like Descent's hero and monster packs. Reprints/resculpts of the old investigators and monsters from 1st edition as well as new investigators and monsters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
There won't be tokens for the investigators (there are way more than 4 investigators from MoM 1st Ed).

However you will have the investigator cards, so if your OCD isn't too bad you can just proxy the miniature.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
Quote:
However you will have the investigator cards, so if your OCD isn't too bad you can just proxy the miniature.


I doubt that you will be able to do this. Typically these cards would be sold as a separate upgrade kit for exactly this reason, but here they don't need to because they have a hidden weapon - the app. Much like RtL I expect you will have to tick off which boxed content you own, and if you say you own 1st Ed it will start telling you to place 1st Ed tiles (and possibly other issues). If you don't tell it you can probably still lie to the app about your investigator choice, but things may get messy either way.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Alberth Silva Barros
Brazil
flag msg tools
Apparently, the Conversion Kit will be included in this version for people who own the first edition... but, will it have any use for people who don't own the first edition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maedhross wrote:
Apparently, the Conversion Kit will be included in this version for people who own the first edition... but, will it have any use for people who don't own the first edition?


As far as I can see, you can use the investigator cards - and replace the figures in 1st ed either with the prepainted ones, or standees from AH or EH, or proxies. Looks like you can also use the monster tokens as monsters, either using the prepainted ones or just using the tokens with no figures. This assumes that you can tell the app you have 1st ed investigators and monsters without telling it you have the tiles too, otherwise that would probably cause confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Quote:
However you will have the investigator cards, so if your OCD isn't too bad you can just proxy the miniature.


I doubt that you will be able to do this. Typically these cards would be sold as a separate upgrade kit for exactly this reason, but here they don't need to because they have a hidden weapon - the app. Much like RtL I expect you will have to tick off which boxed content you own, and if you say you own 1st Ed it will start telling you to place 1st Ed tiles (and possibly other issues). If you don't tell it you can probably still lie to the app about your investigator choice, but things may get messy either way.


I can't see why the app would need to know which investigator you are using.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
soakman wrote:
I can't see why the app would need to know which investigator you are using.

Well if nothing else it is used in RtL to track player activations and effects. Not only that but there are unique events where (for example) if you have someone in your party who speaks elvish your options are different. I would expect more of this sort of thing in MoM.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
Maedhross wrote:
Apparently, the Conversion Kit will be included in this version for people who own the first edition... but, will it have any use for people who don't own the first edition?


As far as I can see, you can use the investigator cards - and replace the figures in 1st ed either with the prepainted ones, or standees from AH or EH, or proxies. Looks like you can also use the monster tokens as monsters, either using the prepainted ones or just using the tokens with no figures. This assumes that you can tell the app you have 1st ed investigators and monsters without telling it you have the tiles too, otherwise that would probably cause confusion.


Yup, same thoughts here. In the conversion kit you won't have the minis, but I'm expecting investigators sheets and chits for monsters to be present, so, unless you struggle to have all the original plastic, you can proxy those and expand hugely the gaming experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Alberth Silva Barros
Brazil
flag msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Hellicon wrote:
Maedhross wrote:
Apparently, the Conversion Kit will be included in this version for people who own the first edition... but, will it have any use for people who don't own the first edition?


As far as I can see, you can use the investigator cards - and replace the figures in 1st ed either with the prepainted ones, or standees from AH or EH, or proxies. Looks like you can also use the monster tokens as monsters, either using the prepainted ones or just using the tokens with no figures. This assumes that you can tell the app you have 1st ed investigators and monsters without telling it you have the tiles too, otherwise that would probably cause confusion.


Yup, same thoughts here. In the conversion kit you won't have the minis, but I'm expecting investigators sheets and chits for monsters to be present, so, unless you struggle to have all the original plastic, you can proxy those and expand hugely the gaming experience.


Well, let's hope that it's like that then... I want to at least use all the content in the box, even without having the map tiles and minis from the first edition
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.