Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: Before I go any further I'm only looking at the Classic Game and USA 1910 for this. Other versions look nice but this has the fewest and cleanest rules. With that in mind it appears to be a great way to get into the game for the kids and grandkids. I think.

Once you get the USA 1910 you have several ways to play and I wanted to know if anyone has a feeling for the different play styles. Here is what I've gathered in briefly browsing the BGG site. I am most likely wrong. I would love some insight.

1) 1910: A good place to start, balanced and opens up areas with less competition. This makes the eastern areas less competitive and you don't risk as much holding your cards and building a stockpile before placing. You learn the game and skill set of the game by there being less competition and blocking? Great for kids and grand kids to learn and have fun.

2) Classic: A bit more congested making the eastern routes a bit competitive. Easier to loose the line you want if you wait too long. Destinations tend to be random. Because of this you need to be more aware of how long to hold you cards and how soon to lay the trains. Hold on too long and you lose the route, lay down to soon and and people know where you're going.

3) Big Cities: Even more competitive. You will get blocked, be ready to be aggressive and have multiple routes in mind. Since only the Big Cities are destinations there is going to be competition for rail lines and, as someone put it, that will create choke points.

4) Mega: Bored? Tired of playing the same game? Throw the cards together and just see what you get.

Am I far off? What is your experience with the different versions of play.

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, it sounds like you pretty much nailed it. Although the differences are more subtle than that. I would more us them to add variety. Plus the large cards are nice over the standard cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to "nailed it" AND to NORMAL sized cards! (I HATE hobbit cards...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
japes -

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Probably right on the mark from what I've seen and read. But as stated above probably very subtle differences.

I was warned about the Hobbit cards before I bought so we ordered the 1910 cards and have never opened the small ones. I think we played regular once or twice and have played Mega ever since. My son had just turned 8 when we got the game last year for Christmas and he has no issues at all. We don't actively block but blocks happen and my son has learned that is part of the game and he even humorously will shout out "reroute" whenever someone plays a route he wanted. He's learned flexibility and management. He no longer gets upset.

My wife and I have played big cities and my wife, son, and father-in-law played 1910 this summer a few times and she thought 1910 was pretty easy in comparison.

I only mention this because you wrote about kids and grand kids and I didn't want you to think you were limited to any version. My son has also played Switzerland and Europe with no issues...none of these versions have difficult rules.

I say don't worry about the differences and just play all the version and see which you like. You'll likely end up playing Mega with the kids as it's just fun with all those tickets as you will have games where no one crosses paths with each other and then a game where everyone needs that 1 train route from Portland to Seattle.

PS...you are absolutely correct that it is a great way to get into gaming. My father-in-law bought the game after playing it over Christmas. He actually had me order it and 1910 before he flew home so that it would be there when he arrived. We played it a ton when visiting him this summer. It's the first game we've played that is fun for everyone from my son to his grandparents as well as us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.