7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Project Star Trek: WIP - Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So trying to start hammering down some of the details, as they sort of drive the direction of the rest of the project.

I got to thinking that trying to do the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, and an area of unexplored space, was gong to create 4 Nav decks, etc. As much as I like the Klingons, and probably because of that, and because they have more of a presence in the show, it occurred to me that they are good material for an expansion.

So where I'm heading now is to include on the map, Federation space, a little Romulan space focusing on the area of the Neutral Zone, and an area of unexplored space.

I'd like to do an expansion that will include the edge of Federation space (including Starbase K-7), the Klingon Neutral Zone, and some Klingon space. But I want to plan it out on the map from the start, so the map flows smoothly.

All the Tribble stuff will go into that expansion, including the DS9 characters in TOS uniforms.

I'm also thinking that's a good, maybe even great way to introduce a PVP element in the spirit of P&BH (I can't see that abbreviation without thinking it's talking about peanut butter and jelly). There could be the Klingon homeworld as a contact (Klingon High Command) and supply planet where you would find Klingon crew and equipment. There would be maybe 2 or 4? Klingon ships to fly in. Some missions flying around Klingon space and into Romulan space, and some deep incursions into Federation space. Maybe you can take prisoners back to Rura Pentae to work in the dilithium mines.

So while not actually trying to create a P&BH module for Star Trek, there are obvious correlation possibilities and there's no reason not to use the same mechanics. For example, rather than a separate "Bounty deck" some of the Missions could be "bounty" Missions where you have to capture specific characters like Kirk, or maybe generic characters like "a Starfleet Captain" or "a Starfleet Scientist".

The Federation would have some incursion missions as well, but I think most of their runs into Klingon space would be along the lines of humanitarian relief type missions.

Gear and Crew swaps could be possible, but I'd expect to place a tax on it, like triple cost, and maybe you could have some characters or gear that mitigated that, making it only double cost or even straight cost. It would be interesting to replace Prestige with Glory on Klingon ships, but probably mechanically complicated, or too much of a hassle. This would be a place for Maverick and Stickler to weigh in in some way, either in cost mitigation or in outright allowing those purchases or not.

Last note on Klingons for now. Perhaps Maverick and Stickler won't fit them at all, and they will require something like Gloryhound or something. But then again, maybe they fit well after all.

Back to the map. I like the style of this as a background image with the colored cloud areas marking the different territories.

Obviously, it covers a much larger area than necessary.

I'm trying to find again another map I saw that had the sector spaces divided as faceted blobs radiating out from a central blob. I thought it touched back to the Firefly map style nicely while still representing the larger scale a Star Trek map covers. If I find it I'll replace this paragraph with it.

::EDIT:: Found it.

At the end of the day, some interpretation and fudging will have to be done to get something that finds the halfway point between 'accurate' and 'playable'.

When we started this discussion, MrDave2176 came up with this map as a staring point. It's obviously a sketch, but you don't start from scratch with a full art kind of thing. He also did the Federation symbol icons you've seen on the Crew and Equipment cards.

A note on unexplored space - if I don't write it down, I'll forget it... I have an idea to leave parts of this planetless, and have the planets populate randomly using a mechanism of the Nav cards.

For example, the card will direct you to place the planet Rigel VII in your current sector. You can chose to stop and explore for x Prestige (probably involves a Crisis card) or make a note in the logs and Fly On.

Other Mission cards will reference these random planets as locations to travel to, but if it hasn't been placed yet, you can't accept the Mission (goes to the discard pile for later).

Logistically, I'm thinking of printing the planet image on a card to cut out. There'd be 2 images: one of just the planet, the other the planet with a name box attached. You'd be able to cut them out and glue the planet image to the top of say a spare Disgruntled token, and the one with the name box to the bottom. That way, the token has a little depth for handling. Of course, you could glue the name box one to some heavy card and cut out the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
if it's exploration and discovering planets, I'd set it TOS or preTOS and ditch Next Gen era stuff, concentrate on the Federation and the Romulan, Klingon and Gorn Empires.
Also, you've got all the enemy capitals right close to the border with the Federation, I know Cardassia is, but that's following the liberation of several systems presumably. It makes it look like they've already been pushed away from the frontier, which makes exploration seem out of place.

If you want to discover planets, just have the capitals on the board and the others discovered as you've laid out. Don't mark out neutral zones or anything like that, have those as a nav card result, something like diplomatic corps negotiates that sector as a neutral zone, so they are variable as well. Then, with the job cards, there is a chance that a planet you have to go to, is in a neutral zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way ahead of you. This is only going to be TOS. I like Next Gen era and all, but there's really too much info out there. Too much material. Also TOS is the classic definitive Trek.

The maps are here to show ideas and styles, not to lock in material that has to be on it, so ignore the Cardasians and Ferengi. whistle

So as I mentioned, I'm looking at Federation and Romulans with an area of unexplored (what eventually becomes Federation territory) space. Then, an expansion to include Klingon space. A second expansion to include the Gorn on the other side would be pretty cool, but I really don't know too much about them, so that may be a project for someone else to take the reins on.

I like the idea of the sandbox style map you described, but I don't know how well it will work logistically. If we were using something like a hex tile map system, where the map is built as the game progresses I think it would work. Interestingly, GF9's just released Star Trek game does do something like that, but not with hexes. Looks pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
You might want to look at the boards in the Star Trek Catan games. One version is a separate hex set for Federation Space, the other has a map sector all set out. It might be easier than creating a new map from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did actually. I have Star Trek Catan (a very enjoyable variant with lots of little Enterprises), so when this popped up in my map searches I was curious.

I don't really think it'll be that useful to us here, as it's only Federation space, and every hex has a planet, so no empty space to travel through. Works well with the Catan engine, but not as well with the Firefly engine I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a concept draft of a map/board. It's not something that would be printed to play on, but it's something to use as a point of reference to continue the conversation and work off for developing different cards, particularly Missions.

It's not to scale of course. Some liberties have been taken but since no two Star Trek maps agree, who's to say this isn't actually correct? Anyway, the grid represents the cut lines to create a folding board the same size as the base Firefly board. The red grid represents an add on section for a Klingon based expansion - there will be Tribbles.

Light blue dots and ship represent contacts. Dark blue dots represent supply planets. In addition to the Federation Magistrate roaming around (a la Alliance Cruiser) - we will call him Admiral Harken for now - there will be a transport ship also roaming. Primarily, this will be a mission goal. Things like distress calls will direct players to reach the transport vessel. I'm also considering making it a roaming supply location, or maybe have Admiral Harken be a roaming supply location.

Blue space is Federation, Green Romulan, Red Klingon, and Yellow is "non-aligned" or "unexplored" space. It's a little more sparce to allow planets to randomly be placed there with Nav cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated concept of the map, with sector divisions.

Not sure circles is the way to go. Still leaning toward more angular areas, like the sample above, but circles were an expedient way to get some rough concentric spaces down. Need to check the scale a little better to make sure the sectors aren't too big or too small.

Still going through and adding and removing planets. Trying to focus on planets that featured in TOS. Some, that were from later series, have gone, though obviously they existed at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.