Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ello,

Recently I decided to jump into Descent per all the Road to Legend chatter. Cooperative play is my aim, but am looking forward to running through the competitive campaigns as well (if I can convince my co-op loving group to get behind that style of play).

I pulled the trigger on the core Descent 2e box, and -- as an afterthought -- grabbed:

a Hero & Monster pack (Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Crusade of the Forgotten),
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Shadow of Nerekhall, and
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – The Trollfens.

After an brief order mishap with the online retailer, I then added:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm,
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls,
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Nature's Ire and
two lieutenant packs (queen spider lady and Merrick Farrow).

This is naturally a lot, and I'm running the risk of burning myself if my group doesn't take to the experience (though I'm somewhat confident I'll find players, myself solo via RtL at the least). Beyond the wasted money if everything goes south, there will be a lot of mechanical nuance dumped into the learning experience, though I can't tell how weighty these additions actually will be (I lean more to assuming they'll enrich our initial playthrough).

My Question!

So I was about to pull the trigger on Mansion of Madness 2e when I noticed I was tantalizingly close to getting free shipping. My first thought was, "well, I can just included Lair of the Wyrm, and maybe the final co-op expansion" which would basically complete Descent for me, save the last two big box expansions. My second thought resulted in this post.

Is Lair too much too fast? Knowing it as you do, worth the extra investment? Aside from the extra items and OL cards / monsters, I'm mainly attracted to the new travel cards, as I'm unsure the other expansions offered additions there. The additional secret room tiles might break up the monotony as well, though the variety might already be decent enough.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for indulging this ramble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ignore the coop expansions, RTL is better in every way.. drop both coops and just add a monster pack of monsters you like.. e.g giants or kobolds or manticore or naga maybe..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
ignore the coop expansions, RTL is better in every way.. drop both coops and just add a monster pack of monsters you like.. e.g giants or kobolds or manticore or naga maybe..

True, but RtL is just one (maybe 1.5) scenarios right now, right?

I didn't think they could be replayed with much sense of variety, but maybe I'm mistaken (am I?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The available quests won't be different, only the monsters in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

The Road to Legend team need to chat with the Mansions of Madness 2e programmers.

MoM 2e announcement wrote:

Not only does the app take over the responsibilities of the Keeper, but it does so in a wholly unpredictable way, randomly generating the scenario’s map, the monsters that haunt it, and the paralyzing events you will have to endure, all in unique combinations every time. While your ultimate objective remains the same, each unexpected and twisted detail will be exposed as you explore the map and the the app reveals its gruesome secrets to you. The rooms still concealed behind closed doors and the terrors within, however, will remain unknown to you until you are able to reach them.

Can't wait till RtL offers the same level of replay variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

The Road to Legend team need to chat with the Mansions of Madness 2e programmers.

Not only does the app take over the responsibilities of the Keeper, but it does so in a wholly unpredictable way, randomly generating the scenario’s map, the monsters that haunt it, and the paralyzing events you will have to endure, all in unique combinations every time. While your ultimate objective remains the same, each unexpected and twisted detail will be exposed as you explore the map and the the app reveals its gruesome secrets to you. The rooms still concealed behind closed doors and the terrors within, however, will remain unknown to you until you are able to reach them.

I think they are the same team. I think RtL was the first iteration of the program. From the screenshots they showed it looked very familiar. I'm guessing what happened is the programmers made it for RtL and then passed it off to the story team to add content, during this time they then added stuff for MoM. I really hope we see more updates to RtL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

Still complete different experiences and types of games. I have all Descent stuff, and played RTL more than 10 campaigns by far. Never get the feeling of the same game every time, because of the quantity of random stuff you can get (monsters, gear, perils, travel events, etc). Every adventure still pretty unique.

Mansion of madness have a simple tile configuration, its more apropriate to come in a random scenario. The tiles in Descent are assymetric and some contains special rules, like obstacles and terrain types, its more inconsitent to a random generator. They decided to make RTL like a traditional Descent campaign, and they can sell even more campaigns in the future.

But who knows what lies ahead ?? They can make more tools and try new things for both games with the app. Probably the mansion of madness app will suport new digital content too.

Side note: Lair of wyrm expansion has a big impact in RTL. All fire monsters can use the burning condiction in the game.

Same as Mists of Bilehall and the terrify condition for the undead monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kraisto wrote:

Side note: Lair of wyrm expansion have a big impact in RTL. All fire monsters can use the burning condiction in the game.

Loved your contribution, mate. Definitely makes me feel better about the limited scenario options currently available for RtL (I suspect the next one must be right around the corner, no?).

Per the Lair commentary, I couldn't tell whether this was a good or a bad thing. I listened to a review of Mists of Bilehall and felt the Terrified condition wasn't something I should be adding to our initial playthrough, but I'm unsure about burning. Is it pretty bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, burning its not a "bad" condiction. You can get some really funny moments because of a hero or monster burning . I love because is higly thematic.

http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Burning

Terrify is really a powerful condiction. You are right to not put in the inital playthrough.

In the content viewpoint, its fine to MoM have a scenario generator, and higly recommended to the replay value.

Some previews say second edition will only have 5 story scenarios. Think of just five stories with the same mansion layout to play without a random generator. Boring no?

The MoM scope is a little more restrict and reliant on the mistery and exploration factor to work. You can just sit and play a entire story scenario in one playthrough

In RTL with all expansions you can get approximally 25 quests to play, and you get this for "free".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo R
Germany
flag msg tools
From personal experience: If money isn't a limiting factor and you are willing to take the risk with your group, the more you have right from the start, the better the long term experience!

Every monster, item, travel card, hero and class will on average take much longer to start feeling "overused". If you'd start with just the base game and keep adding expansions on a regular basis, the early stuff will have seen a lot of play and get boring and the newer stuff is too scarce in comparison to be able to inject a truly fresh feel to the game.

The best example are the base game map tiles, which are practically used in every campaign quest to a variable percentage and 100% for every H&M pack rumor. We hate these tiles already. It's like a bad low budget movie, where they had to use 5 sets to film 100 different scenes - it starts to get ridiculous at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jenkins
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
designer
I played Rise of All Goblins with only the base set and then Kindred Fire with the base set plus 5 boxed expansions. The experience playing with all of the additional content from the expansions created a more interesting experience, but, if you only use the expansions in the context of RtL, you are paying a lot compared to the amount of content each adds. I can understand why people would want to be conservative when purchasing expansions, but, for me, I think it's totally worth it. Ultimately, the only question you need to ask and answer is: "is it worth it to me?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelJSculptor wrote:
I played Rise of All Goblins with only the base set and then Kindred Fire with the base set plus 5 boxed expansions. The experience playing with all of the additional content from the expansions created a more interesting experience, but, if you only use the expansions in the context of RtL, you are paying a lot compared to the amount of content each adds. I can understand why people would want to be conservative when purchasing expansions, but, for me, I think it's totally worth it. Ultimately, the only question you need to ask and answer is: "is it worth it to me?"

You just helped FFG sell a copy of Lair of the Wyrm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Milarky wrote:

True, but RtL is just one (maybe 1.5) scenarios right now, right?

I didn't think they could be replayed with much sense of variety, but maybe I'm mistaken (am I?).

No RtL is 1.5 campaigns which is aquivalent to ~24 scenarios.

For Coop the big box expansions (Nerekhall and Labyrinth of Ruins) come with double the content than small box expansions. Also I think the heroes and classes of Trollfens are the worst, so I wouldn't get it. Travel-cards amd secret rooms aren't used in the coop modes and imo they don't significantly add to the game in classic mode, so don't bother with them.

If I were you, I would get Nerekhall, Labyrinth of Ruins, and maybe either a H&M pack or Liar of the Wyrm (which has really good heroes and classes), I would drop everything else, until you know that you enjoy that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jenkins
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Anarchosyn wrote:
MichaelJSculptor wrote:

You just helped FFG sell a copy of Lair of the Wyrm.

Ha! You didn't need my help, the magic was within you the whole time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.