17 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Heading to pick up core...expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys .. driving to coolstuffinc now to grab the core set.
Totally overwhelmed with expansions.
Would anyone suggest one expansion that would be a good addition to the core?
I really don't know what style I'd like really..I know that's a consideration.

Thanks !

Excited to start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get just one, I'd recommend Khazad-Dum. It gives you 3 beatable quests and a decent influx of player cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Khazad-Dûm, all of the Mirkwood cycle for a good selection of cards. Or at least the last one in the cycle for Dain

(Plus of course Over Hill and Under Hill for MORE DWARVES!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It' best to by them in the order they were released. The quests were developed with respect to their current card pool. That said you don't need to buy them in that order. Tales From The Cards has this page, which is a great utility:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
Would Khazad fall into this category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
Would Khazad fall into this category?

Khazad Dum is the first deluxe expansion expansion.

The mini-expansions/scenarios that follow up the core set are; The Hunt for Gollum, Conflict at the Carrock, a Journey to Rhosgobel, The Hills of Emyn Muil, The Dead Marshes, and the Return to Mirkwood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan b
msg tools
Khazad-Dûm and all of the Kirkwood cycle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Owen
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khazad-Dum was the 1st big expansion. there was the shadow of mirkwood cycle(six small expansions) before khazad if you're wanting in order.ninja

my personal 1st purchase after core was the saga expansions(the black riders, the road darkens, the treason of saruman, the land of shadow) so i could play the lord of the rings books/story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
Welp it appears Khazad-Dum is sold out but Mirkwood is in and I recall the hunt for Gollum was good.
Geez there are so many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Floridawalt wrote:

Geez there are so many.

6 cycles of 6 small packs so far, 5 deluxes, 6 sagas, 7 standalones, 36 Nightmare upgrades and a Nazgûl in a pear tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
atomo wrote:
Khazad-Dûm and all of the Kirkwood cycle

Please tell me that was not a typo, and there's another cycle I can pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let yourself get too wrapped up in sequence or "best" selection. Realize you can play with any decks in any order; yes they were released in order and some later cards play off of earlier cards but essentially the actual difference is small. An experienced player might notice they can't create some specific combo effect but a new player couldn't tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
Welp it appears Khazad-Dum is sold out but Mirkwood is in and I recall the hunt for Gollum was good.
Geez there are so many.

One copy left here:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgmec08.html

HURRY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
Robrob wrote:
Don't let yourself get too wrapped up in sequence or "best" selection. Realize you can play with any decks in any order; yes they were released in order and some later cards play off of earlier cards but essentially the actual difference is small. An experienced player might notice they can't create some specific combo effect but a new player couldn't tell.

Thanks know it's hard to believe someone could be so newb not to know even the basics.. but yep, here I am..lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
Floridawalt wrote:
Geez there are so many.

One copy left here:

HURRY!

Thanks I'm going to mull it over now.
I ended up just getting the core as i was muddled down with decisions..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm fairly new to the game having picked it up earlier this summer. I have some of the expanded content, including most of the Mirkwood APs, and recently started the Grey Havens. I think I'd recommend a second core set and playing the first two scenarios building 50 card decks with just core set cards and playing single-handed and two-handed (if you're playing solo). Personally, of the four Mirkwood scenarios I played so far, I thought Return to Mirkwood and A Journey to Rhosgobel were the most enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
anaturalharmonic wrote:
Floridawalt wrote:
Geez there are so many.

One copy left here:

HURRY!

I ended up just getting the core as i was muddled down with decisions..

Walt, I recommend getting them in order of release, but ALSO one of the things you may consider in the future (not just yet, but maybe after you have the full Mirkwood Cycle) is to get a second Core set.

The game allows for 3 copies of a card in a player's deck. However, the Core set only has 1x and 2x of certain cards. Filling out your collection to have more of those (especially having multiple Gandalf allies in each player deck), plus 2 more threat trackers (for a >2 player game) and extra tokens is nice.

...Now, you could go the route I did and just have the other cards of which you don't have 3x, printed at printerstudio.com, but I do find that I wish I had more of the other non-card components, so in retrospect I suggest getting a second Core instead of just having extra cards printed.

Buying a third Core to get 3 each of the 1x cards... No. That's overkill. If you got a second Core and still really wanted 3x of those, I'd print them (or proxy them).
But again, You won't need to think about doing that for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.