Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After over 20 plays of this brilliant game, I feel comfortable enough with the rules now to offer some assistance. For me, this game was on the more complex side of gaming than I was used to when I started out. I'm glad I stuck with it and continued to play it even while mucking up many of the rules in those first several plays. For anyone else who feels/felt like me, I hope you find this article useful.

1. Allies are only earned if your side has a general in the battle. A stack of CUs without a general cannot gain bonus BCs from allies, or intercept or avoid battle.

2. The first CU lost in a retreat must be an elephant CU, if present.

3. With play of a campaign card, only one of the armies can use naval movement (up to 10 CUs).

4. Even though all 3 OPs cards allow naval movement, not all are equal. Only the campaign cards allow up to 10CUs to sail. All others allow for a max of only 5 CUs.

5. Don't forget about the ability to withdraw from battle. This is especially important for Hannibal, as he is such an important general, but even he will get a bad hand of BCs or be outnumbered at times.

6. Hanno cannot leave Africa. And similarly, Fabius Maximus cannot leave Italy.

7. The only safe space for a retreat is a friendly PC. While a neutral space is fine for avoiding battle, it is not good enough for a retreat. Don't make the mistake of not having a nearby (preferably adjacent) PC in case you need to retreat if attacked.

8. Hannibal and Scipio Africanus are eliminated from the game if you lose that general. All other generals may later return. Losing Hannibal is extra painful as the Carthaginian player immediately removes 5 PCs.

9. The "Philip IV Allies with Carthage" event does not specifically state what happens when it is played by the Roman player. Not only does it cancel the alliance, but it also forces the Carthaginian player to randomly discard a Strategy card.

10. When the event "Truce" is in effect, the Carthaginian player may sail for free (i.e. without having to roll on the naval combat table). This is potentially huge. The other thing to remember, though, is that you have to sail to where you already have a PC. So, flip Croton with Diplomacy (in Lucania), then play Truce, then sail there for free.

11. You may not both battle and siege in the same activation. It might seem great to activate S. Africanus to move and battle at a major city, win the battle, and then roll on the siege table. But, you can't. devil

12. Friendly tribes give a bonus BC if the battle takes place on the tribe space. This can be useful for positioning (or intercepting with) Hannibal in Gallia Cisalpinia or Bruttium. One card can make a difference in the battle.

13. Consuls outrank a Proconsul and must always be left with a minimum of 5 CUs when possible. This is sometimes difficult for players to remember because the proconsul is chosen for continuity (presumable based on merit) and also because the second proconsul, Scipio Africanus, is so much better than any other Roman generals.

14. The "Allies Desert" Strategy card can be played at any time during the battle. The rules make it seem like all battle-related strategy cards must be played at the start of battle. But, the card index clarifies this, even though it's not listed specifically on the card, as it is on Maharbal's Cavalry.

15. None of the Roman general's special abilities apply to subjugation attempts. Even though subjugation works similarly to sieges, they are two distinct actions.

16. You cannot retreat across a mountain pass (Alps or not) or a strait. To reiterate, be sure you have a safe space nearby for a valid retreat, unless it's a general/army you can risk losing (i.e. Gisgo).

17. The Carthaginian player does not have to commit his elephants to charge. Before dealing out BCs, the Carthaginian player needs to decide whether or not he will use his elephants for a charge. If he does, then he is subject to the Elephant Fright event card. If he chooses not to risk the charge then he is not vulnerable to Elephant Fright. In either case, each elephant CU still counts as a normal CU.

Feel free to add your own. Of course, there are some more difficult rules to remember than these, but some I omitted simply because they so rarely apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice list! I would add:

1. If Carthage attacks an army that includes both Roman Consuls, there must be a Consular Change die roll. If a roman army containing both consuls attacks Carthage, it is up to the Carthage player whether to have a Consular Change die roll or not.

2. The action of sieging requires at least 3 CU. But once you have one or more siege points, you only need keep 1CU on the city to maintain the siege points. And the 3 CU minimum for sieging applies even if the sieging occurs without a roll, via the Traitor in Tarentum card---you still need 3 CU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these seriously hurt. There were four that I've basically never used after playing this game for almost ten years.

My recent discovery was that a general cannot cross the strait between Sicily and Italy unless both walled cities are under their control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
U is for Unicron wrote:
Some of these seriously hurt. There were four that I've basically never used after playing this game for almost ten years.

My recent discovery was that a general cannot cross the strait between Sicily and Italy unless both walled cities are under their control.

Agreed, some of them are very situation, and therefore, easier to forget.

As for your example above, it's almost never going to happen that Carthage will be able to move across the Strait of Messina.

I'm curious to know which four you've never used though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
Nice list! I would add:

1. If Carthage attacks an army that includes both Roman Consuls, there must be a Consular Change die roll. If a roman army containing both consuls attacks Carthage, it is up to the Carthage player whether to have a Consular Change die roll or not.

I never can commit this to memory. I just reference the rules whenever this pops up. I find that knowing in advance whether it's mandatory or voluntary doesn't dictate my decisions (as Carthage, anyway).

Quote:
2. ...And the 3 CU minimum for sieging applies even if the sieging occurs without a roll, via the Traitor in Tarentum card---you still need 3 CU.

I wasn't aware of this, so good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
andylatto wrote:
Nice list! I would add:

I never can commit this to memory. I just reference the rules whenever this pops up. I find that knowing in advance whether it's mandatory or voluntary doesn't dictate my decisions (as Carthage, anyway).

The way I remember this is that the rules are designed so that when there's an army with two consuls on the board, it makes almost no difference which general is in command. If the Romans move the army, it makes no difference who was in command, because now whichever general you activated is now the one in command. If Carthage attacks the army, it would be important who was in command if Carthage could decline to have a Consular Change die roll. But since in this situation the Consular Change die roll is mandatory, it once again makes no difference who was in command.

Quote:
Quote:
2. ...And the 3 CU minimum for sieging applies even if the sieging occurs without a roll, via the Traitor in Tarentum card---you still need 3 CU.

I wasn't aware of this, so good to know.

I put this on the list because not realizing this lost me a game in the WBC tournament a couple of weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.