Dave Ross
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got around to my third (and possibly final?) update to Euronimoes. Compared to version 2.0, the game is considerably more refined, though on the surface the changes are subtle. Mainly, I’ve tweaked the economy a little bit and have tried to mitigate the ill-effects of edge-case situations.

So what, exactly, are the changes? First off, each player has their own money — every player’s money is different. Each player gets four chips in their color (or buttons in their type, or coins in their denomination, whatever), and this money is exclusive to them. They start with two chips, but the maximum they can ever have is 4.

That’s probably the single biggest change to the game, and all it does is prevent one player from hoarding all the chips.

Secondly, I added a -1 slot to the market so players can take a known domino and still get a chip from the bank. Often, of course, it’s not a terribly desirable domino, since no one else was willing to pay for it, but you never know — it might fit in perfectly with what you’re trying to do.

Third, I changed the way drawing from the bone pile works — now, even though you’re not taking a domino from the market, you still refresh the market by taking the domino from the -1 slot and moving it to the 3-chip slot, then sliding the other dominoes down to make room. This prevents the market from stagnating.

Fourth, I reintroduced a reward for having chips at the end of the game. Now that a player’s money is capped at 4, I’m okay with players getting points for chips.

Fifth, I changed the tiebreaker (to the player who went later in turn order).

And finally, I updated the graphics and added some illustrations to the rules. But not too many, because, you know….

Interested? Check out the updated rules on my blog. If you do give it a go, I’d love to hear what you think of it. Also, feel free to rate or review it here on BGG. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really curious what Nick has to say about the current version. This seems to be quite a rehaul. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten a chance to play yet but I am looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddgdrs wrote:
Each player gets four chips in their color, and this money is exclusive to them. They start with two chips, but the maximum they can ever have is 4.

You could easily play with only one colour of chip as long as everyone remembers the max of 4 chips.

ddgdrs wrote:
That’s probably the single biggest change to the game, and all it does is prevent one player from hoarding all the chips.

Nice, we've played it twice with the v2 rules (2p both times) and I did this in the second game. I didn't have all the money but I think it was 6-7 coins and there were a number of consecutive turns where we drew from the bone pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joyce W.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I have played a lot of Euronimoes 2.0 over the last 8 months, and didn't really feel it needed any fixing, so we were a bit wary about trying version 3.0, but we have played a couple of 3.0 games to see what it's like. Our impressions:

It's easier to get the tiles you want, since there are more face-up tiles, the average face-up tile cost is lower, and coins are easier to get. Ken also thinks there's less competition over the face-up tiles, but I'm not sure about that, and it might change with more players. Because the market is now relatively more attractive (more selection and cheaper), there was much less blind drawing from the bone-pile.

The coin points at the end can make a significant difference as to who wins (one of our games had scores 2 points apart, which I think was the difference in our final coin inventories).

Overall, we think the 3.0 rules make the game a bit less challenging and a bit more like playing solitaire at a shared table. That probably means that we'll stick with version 2.0, though we speculate that the changes might make the game more accessible to new players and might generally produce tighter score spreads (which do seem like good things). We might try a 3.0 game with other players to see what's that's like.

I hope the 2.0 rules will remain available, it's a good (and different!) game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.