Tikal» Forums » General

Subject: Quick questions before first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart McLagan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got this and am about to play for the first time. Looking through the box and the rules, I've got a couple of quick questions before we start.

We seem to have 19 little hexagons in each colour, a larger hexagon, a square and two triangular blocks, as well as a cardboard staff-type thing. Am I right in thinking that there is a spare small hexagon, the larger hexagon is the leader, the square is the turn marker, the triangles are the camps and the staff thing is for the auctions? The fact that it doesn't say in the contents that there is a spare got me wondering if I'm missing something. Am I??

What's the advantage of building a camp? If it doesn't get you points or help you gain a majority for temples or treasure, what are they for?? Maybe this will become clear when we start playing, but I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spikethdee wrote:
Just got this and am about to play for the first time. Looking through the box and the rules, I've got a couple of quick questions before we start.

We seem to have 19 little hexagons in each colour, a larger hexagon, a square and two triangular blocks, as well as a cardboard staff-type thing. Am I right in thinking that there is a spare small hexagon, the larger hexagon is the leader, the square is the turn marker, the triangles are the camps and the staff thing is for the auctions? The fact that it doesn't say in the contents that there is a spare got me wondering if I'm missing something. Am I??

There is an extra provided.

Quote:
What's the advantage of building a camp? If it doesn't get you points or help you gain a majority for temples or treasure, what are they for?? Maybe this will become clear when we start playing, but I'm a bit stumped.

They facilitate movement. You can move from one camp to another (including the start space) for one movement point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart McLagan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for that.

Hopefully we will get into as we play, but just wanted to get an idea of basic strategy before we started.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spikethdee wrote:

Tikal is about getting your guys where you need them. Camps are shortcuts only you can use. Placing camps is possibly the most important part of the game, greatly reducing the action points (AP) you need to get your guys where you need them.

If you can place a tent in an open area, with five unfilled spots around it, you have a huge action point advantage going after those five spots, and maybe beyond them. It's such an advantage, other players often won't fill those spots unless they can block you, with a volcano, for example.

You, on the other hand, will want to place good tiles near your tent, so you can move your guys to them quickly, often one AP to put them at the tent and just one more AP to move to the new tile. Or, put them at the tent, move to the new tile, pick up a treasure; maybe as little as 3 AP per treasure.

If you have an AP left over, you drop a guy on a tent, someplace it might take a dozen AP to move from the base camp. Especially you do this if you have open spots around your tent. Again, that lets you jump onto a new tile with just a few AP per guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.