Subject: Adding cowgirls to Flick 'Em Up! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got Flick 'em Up! and am super stoked to play it. However, I'm kinda bummin' about how literally all 10 characters are cowBOYS. I want my game to have cool cowGIRLS in it!

It would be most awesome if the publishers simply released a cowgirl "expansion" (AND included these cowgirls in the plastic re-release of the game). However, if they're not interested, I'm considering designing my own cowgirls and kickstarting a print run of them.

So, question: would I be infringing on copyright by designing pieces to be added to an existing game? Seems like a gray area.

I really just want cowgirls in my game, and for others to have that opportunity as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Arroyo
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stallion Canyon expansion has cowgirls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bryan and sarah wrote:
The Stallion Canyon expansion has cowgirls!

Oh, nice! Thanks for the heads up. Looks like just 2 ladies though. I was hoping to at least have 50/50 representation in the game, if not more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearly label it a fan expansion and I cant imagine the game company caring. There are sooo much fan made content for games and I've seen it be more helpful then not.
So I vote go for it and tell us how it turns out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicely
United States
Shakopee
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is always the possibility, if you are charging for them and directly calling them out to be for Flick 'em Up, the company can send you a cease and desist letter or possibly sue you if you do make money.

Stick to calling them "CowGIRL meeples, for use with any Wild West style boardgame" and be sure to include the size and you should be fine. Most companies are pretty cool with fan inspired things but once you start making a chunk of money off their IP without permission, then they get a little twitchy.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.