Subject: New BGG Logo/Graphic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Cas
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey Everyone!

One of my first posts on BGG so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot/has poor posting etiquette (please let me know if so/how!).

I've been a member now for a number of months and one thing that has always struck me is the Board Game Geek logo in the top left of any given page. I like it, it's a cool graphic. The one piece I think would be worth changing is to make the graphic a group of people within the logo, being intentional about reflecting the community that exists here. So many gamers are not male or white and I think it would be cool to reflect that in the logo. While the logo captures and reflects my identity, I think it would be cool to have it capture more.

Being newer here, I'm not sure if this logo is particularly special or if ideas like this have been brought up before, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks for thoughts in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Getting in quick to say that I agree with you; it'd be cool to see the mascot get some friends.

And now, cue the mouth breathers with their anti-SJW rants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem would be any group feeling non-represented.

Once you're representing multiples, then there will be a whole lot of "why not me" showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Cas
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It would definitely be challenging and it would be impossible to include everyone I agree- but at least we would be acknowledging some level of diversity. I think there could be work arounds to it as well, potentially rotating logos with a new face each month. Another solution would be to make the logo a symbol, but I like that the logo includes a person.

I agree with you that we would never be able to include everyone, but I don't think that means we should leave it as a white male player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just change the logo to a cat in a game box.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kornhaus
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Just change the logo to a cat in a game box.

Done.

Which game? What breed of cat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This BGG person is called Ernie. He's a kind of mascot, not intended to represent the community - he's just one individual board playing geek.

I have no particular affection for him personally and wouldn't mind if he vanished.

There have been a few not very serious discussions about replacing hin, for example: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/146250/if-ernie-went-stri...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He's running and smiling and therefore does not represent your average wargamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
He's running and smiling and therefore does not represent your average wargamer.

And he can see his knees without using a mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Use a different person in the same logo each time a page loads. It would give you a reason to look at it. (As it stands now it's just a gob of color in the corner because it's always the same.) You could start with half a dozen and add new ones as they become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ernie is a mascot. Long live Ernie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the the logo of Ernie holding a checkerboard makes perfect sense for BGG. It is someone who is excited to play board games.

The logo does not remotely work for VGG however.

If effort is going to be put into designing a new logo it should be for VGG, not BGG.

RPGG got a site specific logo some time ago. So there is precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never liked this logo and always thought the board he's carrying looks more like a checkered flag from a car race than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.