Subject: I have a choice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yes, buy this and get to finally use most of my first edition stuff (monsters, map tiles, and investigators) or not and sell off all my 1st ed stuff .... yeah that's not going to happen.

Too bad it seems like the 1st edition item cards, clue cards, etc. will not be usable.

I understand that the keeper ability card, trauma cards, scenario cards and combat cards will not usable; after all that is what the app is for.

I have to face the reality that, for me; 1st edition was and will never be played because of the cumbersome set-up and the one vs. many style. As the games owner guess who would be the keeper. I really want to be the investigator so 2nd edition is very exciting to me, and having a bunch of 1st ed. components laying around never to be used is just something I have to accept.

But it seems to me that some of those scenarios are good enough to update into the app and I wonder if this is planned or even possible and would they make use of some of these components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try not to see it as Second Edition replacing First. They're two different games... set up is a pain, but if you organize your components well enough, you can chop that setup time down quite a bit.

There may be instances where Keeper vs Investigators (Like DMing a D&D game or something) will be more fun and other instances where all co-op would be more fun.

I'm not seeing this is a replacement, but a new game altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for me I think the biggest and best part of the 1st edition content is going to be available (Investigator/monster mini's, and room tiles) The cards will either be usable in second ed. or will be replaced by other newer style cards. As I see it the only thing really going to waste from 1st ed. will be the scenarios. I'm sure FF will be producing quite a number of scenarios for the new system and you will most likely never miss the old ones.

Having said that though, there is one thing no one has mentioned yet. We have no idea how this new software works. It may be possible to add user created scenarios to it. Companies like FF know that user created stuff help drive their products forward. I would think they would allow for creativity by the end users to be a part of the design. In the event that FF doesn't have that kind of forward vision, I can assure you that at least the PC software will end up having it added at some point post release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Also once your group has learned the basics (albeit slightly different in 2E) it might be easier to get one of them to play as keeper in 1E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
worm that walks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I'm also seeing this as a new game that (as a bonus) can utilize key components from another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
rman wrote:
But it seems to me that some of those scenarios are good enough to update into the app and I wonder if this is planned

No one knows.

Quote:
or even possible

It's possible, though they would still be very different just due to the different nature of the two games.

Quote:
and would they make use of some of these components?

Definitely not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
set up is a pain, but if you organize your components well enough, you can chop that setup time down quite a bit.

This is true, but in my experience, while it refuces setup time, it also increases tear down time because I have to painstakingly ensure everything is in it's right place. Overall it's a net gain, but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.