Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any way to play through the prologue multiple times? I have several people who aren't sure if they want to commit to playing through the whole campaign, and I desperately want to have the same group at every game. So my thought is to let various people play the prologue, and weed out the non-committed ones.

I'm hoping that you can just take the legacy parts and record them on paper or something until the end of the prologue game with the official group, then fill everything in after the fact. An official answer would be lovely. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid Hat will be demoing the game at Gen Con - I imagine they'd be able to explain how, or folks will post pictures/recaps of the experience.

Generally, as long as you don't actually write on anything and don't sticker the islands as you explore, you should be able to play it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wolf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone else had asked this before.

The changes coming out of the prologue are mainly naming things like islands and ships and adding stickers to islands from exploration.

As long as you don't permanently mark these you could probably play it many times. You just may hear the same Captain's Booke entries a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Also, I imagine we will be seeing a Watch It Played video of it sometime in August. So you can always use that as your example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What JR said.

The basic problem spots to my understanding are:

1) When you explore, you will be "spoiling" some of the contents of the Captain's Booke. It might be worth limiting exploration in the demo games to "sun" sites only (until you establish your final player list). These are the most accessible sites anyway, there are only 8 of them, and they are only on the starter islands -- so this should minimize the spoilers. Also, don't cross them out on the explorers map; instead write down the ones explored.

2) When you explore, you will be required to put stickers (and later write names) on the islands. Perhaps bring some tokens corresponding to the various exploration stickers that would normally be placed, or some small squares of paper that can be placed as needed.

3) When you resolve prologue milestones, you'll be getting some spoilers. This is just going to be a fact of life, but since it's the same milestones each game, you won't spoil much (and there aren't permanent benefits for the prologue winner, anyway.

In general, I wouldn't want to do this for more than just the prologue demo, because setup and storage would be painful, as would tracking Booke entries, the scraps of paper on the board would detract from the game, and the spoiler buildup would grow with each new game. But I would think it would be fine for the prologue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manduke manduke
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this does not really give the full experience, but if you just do the prologue without writing on anything, using any stickers, or actually even reading from the Booke, so that exploration just gives you a point (and a random resource?) then nothing is spoiled or changed. I know that takes a lot out of the game, but if your players dont like the core gameplay with choosing actions from the 4 guilds and getting advisors, I don't think they would last a whole campaign. So that's my suggestion. Change nothing and spoil nothing, and if they still like it, you found your players.

Heck, maybe just do a partial "game" based on the above but where the winner is the first player to get 1 point from exploration, 1 point from raiding, 1 point from building, and 1 from treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote my previous post long before the game was released, but I still agree with it. The key bits being: restrict your exploration to the "sun" sites, don't write on the board, and use make-shift tokens (photocopy and cut out) rather than stickers. You can probably get away with using the "fire" sites, too.

An additional note about milestones: when a player claims the fourth milestone, DON'T READ IT UNTIL YOUR GROUP IS READY TO MOVE TO GAME 1! There are significant spoilers. The other three give you flavor without major spoilers. Just determine the winner and end the game otherwise.

If you do that, I think you'll get the flavor of the prologue game without spoiling it too much. For future games, have any player who's played before have their exploration site numbers chosen by someone who hasn't played before (or randomly) for the sun and/or fire sites, to prevent the slight advantage that memory might grant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.