Subject: Asylum: number of runs [mild spoiler] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

we've started playing Asylum yesterday.

According to base card F we started with 25 TU in the first run. We failed, and the "Mission failed (TU)" card told us to just start again. We failed again and read the other "Mission failed (TU)" card, which gives us 5 more TU for the third run. After that, we stopped playing until next time.

For us, those two runs were more like fun trips for gathering information, since we assumed that we could do it again and again and again. But there is no third "Mission failed (TU)" card. So what now? Is the third the last run and we move the time marker further on below zero? Do you think it might be a good idea to add more runs with just 25 TU before doing the "final" run with infinite TU?

Otherwise I think we can just repeat the final run in case we fail, right? Or in case we think that there is a better way?

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever is fun for your group is fine, though "Bob" might feel otherwise.

Our group played differently, with a sense of time being a scarce resource, right from the beginning. We agonized over whether to spend an extra turn searching a room, or whether to take a side trip. We still ran out of time the first run, and began the second by strategizing as to where we needed to retrace our steps and what we might skip or do differently to save time -- what was essential and what was optional.

This sense of urgency and conservation of time made it more fun for us (YMMV). We managed to complete the mission on the second run, albeit just barely -- on our last time unit.

I feel completely removing any time restrictions/constraints makes the game less interesting/challenging. Also, perhaps boring, as many runs will get very repetitive. At some point, you want to try to make the "perfect" run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I think if you do a run with infinite time you might as well just read the all the cards instead of playing the game...but of course its your game and its up to you how you use it..i dont remember much about asylum but i think the last t.u failiure card tells you what to do in case you run out of time a third time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You now have all the time you need, but you should still try to not use to much as bob wouldn't be that glad about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may have missed a bit of text for the 3rd run - you are not limited on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just encountered the same question. So effectively, Time Stories has 3 plays in it. Fail once, fail the second time, then, infinite TU on the third run, in which you WILL complete the mission, but it's more of a beat your personal best situation?

Am I misunderstanding something here? It seems ridiculous to only get 3 plays out of a module, but I guess if the point is to get us to buy the next scenario, that's one way to do it. Seems a little...un-fun to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All following scenarios (as far as I can tell) don't have the only three run mechanic - you can do as many as you like.
My guess is that they wanted to make sure that everybody finishes the first game in maximal three runs.
But they could have did it better, like: +5 TU every run after the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree. I dropped 50+ on this at my FLGS, and I get 3 plays out of it? I understand we could house rule it, doing exactly what you mentioned; +5 TU every subsequent run, or other similar house rule, but I always like to play my games the way the designer intended: for good or bad. That way I'm always consuming the game for what it is, not what it could be. And in this case, what it is seems lackluster.

I've enjoyed the experience. I just wish the price of the game and its subsequent runs was a bit lower to fuel a desire to invest more money into this. Maybe I'm being whiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy expensions the overall price for each scenario gets less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
If you buy expensions the overall price for each scenario gets less

Yeah but my net spend on the Time Stories franchise grows exponentially. It's a thin line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
what do you mean?

I just mean the total dollars spent on Time Stories branded products increase a lot although the relative value of each subsequent scenario may decrease.

Truth be told, I'll probably end up getting the other scenarios and playing with different groups. I'm a sucker for story, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that can't be exponentially, seems more like linear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.