Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: Recon Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I was reading an old post today where somebody suggested to make the game less chance-orientated, to start each side with 3 recon cards each (centre, left and right) in their initial card pick.

Has anybody ever tried this and if so how did it effect play? Was it for the better or did it effect the game mechanics too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play with the Breakthrough deck, which allows you to activate a number of units to move (but not battle) anywhere on the board. These "on the move" actions are useful for getting infantry into cover and for moving artillery forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Breakthrough deck though I don't play regular Memoir with it too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer Breakthrough and Overlord decks and scenarios. IMO, chance is greatly reduced. Thus, the standard game and deck are no longer used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play with standard deck for standard scenarios. The map board is too small to warrant the extra movement allowed with BT cards.

As for reducing chance, I seriously doubt that distributing Recon cards will help much with that, nor do I think that reducing chance is even necessary. This game is about hand management.

Further, the scenarios are not balanced anyway and playing twice, changing sides, is the best approach if you have the time or care about winning. Playing twice will also will help even out the odds of die rolls and card draws.

A better way to reduce chance might be to use two identical cards decks, one for each player, although I don't do this either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
I prefer to play with standard deck for standard scenarios. The map board is too small to warrant the extra movement allowed with BT cards.

I agree.

The common workaround I have heard is discard any card to move any 1 unit. That gets you to a similar result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.