Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What games do you love to play even though the game isnt really that good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was thinking about games I enjoy, most of which are very well designed and implemented games like Puerto Rico, Food Chain Magnate, Tzolkin and Robinson Crusoe to name just a few. But then it occurred to me that there are average to even weak games that I also enjoy, sometimes as much. I am not talking about games that you happen to think are really really good that others don't, but a game that you recognize as having limits that make it less than a good game in the sense of strategic or competitive gaming. Gray to be sure...

The first 2 that hop to mind for me are quite different:

1. Tokaido - I like the game as a competitive board game okay but do find the rules and strategy a bit limiting. However, I LOVE the concept, the theme and the Asian inspired artwork. To me it is so different. It makes me happy when I break it out to play!

2. Cards Against Humanity - Yes, I know this not a popular choice for a "game" to highlight but it is so much damn fun and I can play it with ANYBODY in seconds. There is always laughter and good times, especially with new players involved. It is more Mad Libs than true game and in fact we rarely actually count score at the end because nobody really cares if they won, it is about the fun ride.

I am curious, what othre average to below average games do geeks here really love to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every game with miniatures.

No idea why action/adventure/battle games usually have such shoddy rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to play lots of fiddly old 70s/80s hex-and-counter games, despite their often cumbersome mechanics... something about the aesthetic really appeals to me. Especially if there are record sheets with tick boxes or lots of tables to cross-reference. But not historical wargames as much; mainly fantasy or sci-fi stuff.

I have no idea why I enjoy these things so much, and honestly the games can be pretty tedious to play after a few turns (and tend to keep going long after the outcome is clear), but somehow I'll always want to play one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Almost every game with miniatures.

No idea why action/adventure/battle games usually have such shoddy rules.

For sure. Sometimes the minatures fit a theme and the actual game almost becomes secondary to the visual eye candy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play some really old games when the kids visit on holiday turns out they are more nostalgic than I am but we always have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
I play some really old games when the kids visit on holiday turns out they are more nostalgic than I am but we always have fun.

Please don't say Chutes & Ladders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Meeple
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Busen Memoninja

yes, it's a very hard memory version but it still is memory. But I will never refuse to play a game because it's one of the best memory games modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
Risk

Ha! I think I like the idea of playing Risk more than actually following through with a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I love to play a game, then it really is that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids and I love Le Boomb!, which I simultaneously think is a dumb and brilliant idea. You must talk it up when someone gets the bomb though.

I also love 80s dudes on a map games, despite them having all kinds of things I now find yucky ... long setup times, having to do math to collect resources or buy units, very clunky move/declare/fight/move sequences, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
many games I own that are rated 6.0 to 6.6 here on BGG. I've known folks in some of my game groups who won't even touch those games, or play it once and take in the smug satisfaction that in their opinion, it indeed really isn't that great of a game, and not worth playing again.

Examples include:
California, Roll Through The Ages: The Iron Age, Progress: Evolution of Technology, and Rattlebones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
So I was thinking about games I enjoy, most of which are very well designed and implemented games like Puerto Rico, Food Chain Magnate, Tzolkin and Robinson Crusoe to name just a few. But then it occurred to me that there are average to even weak games that I also enjoy, sometimes as much. I am not talking about games that you happen to think are really really good that others don't, but a game that you recognize as having limits that make it less than a good game in the sense of strategic or competitive gaming. Gray to be sure...

For me:
a game that is good
=
a game that provides a an enjoyable playing experience

I simply don't understand the concept of "well designed game" as something a game could be on its own. For me "a game" is a potential for a gaming experience that can only be realised in a dialogue with a group. And the greatest achievement in this regard is players enjoying this gaming experience.

Quote:
I am not talking about games that you happen to think are really really good that others don't, but a game that you recognize as having limits that make it less than a good game in the sense of strategic or competitive gaming.

Strategy schmategy competition schmatetition.

I can't play games that create/evoke nothing but competition.
(I call them "puzzles")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleball - It's a cheesy futuristic football game, but I really like the simple color coded dice movement/combat mechanic and the fun figures it comes with. So far I have found three copies of this thing at thrift stores over the last couple of years (usually for $2-3), combined them and developed a crude points based drafting mechanic to customize your teams, rules for having four quarters with each team having one possession each and field goals to make it more like american football and not the rugby style the stock rules seem to be more similar to.

The most interesting part to me is the few times I've gotten it out to show people they love it and want to play it all night instead of the "real" games we had originally planned. Designers take note, this thing might have room for a second life out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokemon Go

Pete (is hooked on this stupid game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
Battleball - It's a cheesy futuristic football game, but I really like the simple color coded dice movement/combat mechanic and the fun figures it comes with. So far I have found three copies of this thing at thrift stores over the last couple of years (usually for $2-3), combined them and developed a crude points based drafting mechanic to customize your teams, rules for having four quarters with each team having one possession each and field goals to make it more like american football and not the rugby style the stock rules seem to be more similar to.

The most interesting part to me is the few times I've gotten it out to show people they love it and want to play it all night instead of the "real" games we had originally planned. Designers take note, this thing might have room for a second life out there.

It's definitely simple and great. Had it gotten the Heroscape treatment I'm sure we would have seen a lot of people hunting down every team... but alas, only the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:

1. Tokaido - I like the game as a competitive board game okay but do find the rules and strategy a bit limiting. However, I LOVE the concept, the theme and the Asian inspired artwork. To me it is so different. It makes me happy when I break it out to play!

Man, I love me some Tokaido, but I'd argue the strategy is crazy good. It's got the same thing going as Glen More and Patchwork, the "jump ahead and get what I want or risk it and clean up leftovers" strategy. Love it. It's not on my list.

Gloom, though... when you break it down to just the core mechanics, it's a simple "take that" with silly alliteration. Not that good. But the stories it inspires with the right group of people, that's why I love it. Some people may play cards in a less advantageous way just to continue the story with that character.

Also, Kittens in a Blender and Exploding Kittens. Neither are heavyweights, but both quite fun. A couple games of either back to back as a filler isn't bad at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guilty pleasure is Camp. It's a dumb little roll and move trivia game that my daughter loves. What makes it tolerable is that there are 4 questions of different difficulty on each card, so she has even odds to beat me without my letting her win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Contrary to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to get rid of games.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
For me "a game" is a potential for a gaming experience that can only be realised in a dialogue with a group.

Let me introduce you to video games.

plezercruz wrote:
Pokemon Go

Pete (is hooked on this stupid game)

Well at least if I want to stop hearing of Pokémon Go, I just have to open BGG.

Nicolas (5 minutes ago)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters Menace America

Which is one up from King of Tokyo which appears a rip off of Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
If I love to play a game, then it really is that good.

I came here to say this but you beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering i hate this game. I find it seriously flawed on so many levels but i love playing it. At least 9 out of 10 games i get manaflooded/hosed and i ask myself why i bother. I guess the people i play with and the excitement about the draft and deck construction are the main reasons i still like playing it.

Oh, and dont bother with advice on land/spell ratios. I have played the game since release and know the basics + i can use my google fu to find all the calculators i could ever want..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Ingelstam
Sweden
flag msg tools
Even though BSG is filled with clunkiness, imbalances and has an FAQ longer than the rule book no other game can deliver such an experience for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well depending on how loose we are with the terms love and good, games I still enjoy playing even though I don't think they are the best games (For various reasons) are;

Talisman
D&D Adventure System Games
Arkham Horror
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Dominion
Bloodbowl Team Manager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is beyond stupid but it's so much fun, and I only ever play 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.