Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike my previous KS fulfillment, this campaign required four different cargo ships and the coordination of working with four different fulfillment centers. I am happy to say that the last pallets have left the customs warehouse in China today and were loaded on a cargo ship. Forged in Steel and Hands in the Sea is currently on its way to the various fulfillment centers around the world!

Each ship left on a different day, and that had no bearing on the overall transit time. There were also some unforeseen hoops that I had to jump through these past few weeks. I worked closely with my freight consolidator and the shipping agent in Shanghai to resolve the issues at the customs warehouse in China. As is common, in larger fulfillment efforts, the games will be arriving at different times to each location. I have pasted a spreadsheet below that details an approximate delivery time for backers. Please note, this is still an estimate, and each port and fulfillment center could have issues that further delay the games. I do not anticipate anything at this point, but I just wanted to mention it is possible.

NOTE: Customer who pre-ordered the game from the Knight Works website will receive their copies no later than the latest delivery date listed above.

Coordinating the ports across the world, working with fulfillment centers, and even establishing a new shipping agent in Shanghai was a massive undertaking. I would not wish this chaos and stress on my worst enemy. For anyone who has aspirations of becoming a game publisher I have these words of wisdom, "Fasten your seatbelts... it is going to be a bumpy ride."

I have made some great connections into the "behind the scenes" world of board game publishing. Some of these folks like Sean from Mr. B Games, Justin and Robert from Terra Nova Games, and Karl from Common Man Games know all too well about the complexities and dare I say, "pain," that is being a game publisher. But, I digress... there are reasons why I jumped into this hobby and made it my side career. I am still excited to continue producing great games and working with the fans who love those games. Hopefully sometime in the future, I will get a chance to start working on publishing my designs, as well.

I have not mentioned it recently, but once again, thank you so much for your support on this campaign. Your patience and understanding have allowed me to publish two great games and release them to the board gaming community in 2016!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turcan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
yay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Thx for the update and if I can give you some advice from a comsumer... just be honest and timely with update/ replies to questions. This will go a long way to making your gaming development career successful. Hearing and responding to our concerns goes a long way to building a positive relationship. If you get too many questions about the same topic, it is probably worth posting a response publicly instead of responding to a hundred individual emails.

If I may be so bold you should strive to emulate Stonemeier Games. Even though they have had their share of bumps and setbacks, very few backers of their projects are upset because they are timely and honest about what is happening. If a game is to be delayed 6 months don't say ' It'll be there soon ', just say Im sorry, we had problems and it will be delayed 6 months.

This type of thing should just be common sense for most people who want to have a successful business.

Anyways, looking forward to the game and thx for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Thx for the update and if I can give you some advice from a comsumer... just be honest and timely with update/ replies to questions. This will go a long way to making your gaming development career successful. Hearing and responding to our concerns goes a long way to building a positive relationship. If you get too many questions about the same topic, it is probably worth posting a response publicly instead of responding to a hundred individual emails.

If I may be so bold you should strive to emulate Stonemeier Games. Even though they have had their share of bumps and setbacks, very few backers of their projects are upset because they are timely and honest about what is happening. If a game is to be delayed 6 months don't say ' It'll be there soon ', just say Im sorry, we had problems and it will be delayed 6 months.

This type of thing should just be common sense for most people who want to have a successful business.

Anyways, looking forward to the game and thx for the update.

Thank you, Roger. I agree with you 100%.

Most of my updates have been posted on Kickstarter. However, for those of you that have made pre-orders, off our company site, I apologize for the sparse updates. The lack of updates is not intentional and it is simply a matter of finding ways to manage my time better.

I respect Jamey Stegmaier at Stonemaier games, quite a bit. I remember his first Kickstarter board game campaign clearly. It was roughly a year after my first successful campaign. I have watched his success and I have followed his Kickstarter blogs and updates for years.

I have done my best to juggle my time. Knight Works is only a part time business for me and I have a full-time job and a very active family. There is usually only a few hours left each day and I spend most weekends putting 10-20 hours into Knight Works. I think one of the biggest issues is that I have taken on so many other jobs such as the graphic artist, creative development, playtesting, and I continue to work on my own designs. I only mention this to put things in perspective. I know that the marketing, social contacts, and updates suffer from time to time. But, I am definitely working on those aspects.

Thank you for your thoughtful words and advice. I do sincerely appreciate it. I promise to work on these things in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking - I preordered recently (Jul 16) from the Knightworks website. Is that delivery date up there for Europe when I should also expect to receive my copy?

Game looks great, I'm much looking forward to trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
Just checking - I preordered recently (Jul 16) from the Knightworks website. Is that delivery date up there for Europe when I should also expect to receive my copy?

Game looks great, I'm much looking forward to trying it out.

Yes, all of the dates in that chart are also for anyone who has pre-ordered the game off the Knight Works website. We will be sending a spreadsheet to the various fulfillment centers for both Kickstarter backers and regular pre-orders. Your order for Sweden will fall under the Europe category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gamer
msg tools
I see an update on the KS page for the backers on Aug 16. I'm not a backer but I did preorder, and am curious if this was an update on the delivery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orlandoron wrote:
I see an update on the KS page for the backers on Aug 16. I'm not a backer but I did preorder, and am curious if this was an update on the delivery?

Shipment got pulled for a customs inspection. Should not delay delivery by much - still projecting by end of August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gamer
msg tools
Ok - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if I attempt to "preorder" from the KS page at this point? If that's no longer a valid way to order, what's the best source to get this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got tracking email, game is on its way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did too - in Australia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game, uploading some pics to the game galleries, but while we wait for them to be approved I have also uploaded to my gallery.

Looking forward to teaching it at Wargame Bootcamp at Pacificon 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
What happens if I attempt to "preorder" from the KS page at this point? If that's no longer a valid way to order, what's the best source to get this one?

We edited the game description so it no longer states it is a preorder. You are more than welcome to order a copy of either Forged in Steel or Hands in the Sea off our online store. However, only a few Kickstarter copies remain for Hands in the Sea and they are located in the EU. (The Kickstarter version contained all of the custom wood tokens.) Our online store is located here:

http://www.knightworksgames.com/store/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

Note to those who have just received the Kickstarter edition game, look at the small pack of cards, and follow the instructions BEFORE you sleeve and package up your game. It will save you some time and confusion. ;-)

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:

Note to those who have just received the Kickstarter edition game, look at the small pack of cards, and follow the instructions BEFORE you sleeve and package up your game. It will save you some time and confusion. ;-)

Tim

Thanks Tim. I am going to fire off a couple posts about those cards and some of the items you GMed me about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game was ordered for me last Christmas and I live in the US. Should my game have already arrived?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
This game was ordered for me last Christmas and I live in the US. Should my game have already arrived?

The Kickstarter orders were just recently filled in the US. A majority of the preorders began shipping this week. I cannot be certain without your last name, but I do have a preorder being shipped tomorrow from Funagain Games that is heading to Corpus Christi, TX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a huge city so that's probably me!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived on Wed 7th September. It looks great. Excellent board, strong vibrant colours and very attractive cards.

Can't wait to get it on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got my copy and it looks amazing. There was a bag of wooden components that said they were short and more would arrive in a separate shipment...haven't done an audit to see how short I am on components. Anyone have an update for when that arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reached me in Poland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
Got my copy and it looks amazing. There was a bag of wooden components that said they were short and more would arrive in a separate shipment...haven't done an audit to see how short I am on components. Anyone have an update for when that arrives.

We were missing the custom towns for roughly 20 or so pre-order customers. Those towns are being manufactured alongside the updated replacement cards. I am guessing those will be available in 3-4 weeks, but it entirely depends upon when they will fit in my short print run of cards. I am essentially at the end of the line in their schedule and when they find an opening they will throw the printing plates on a press and run those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone in Germany received their copy? Still waiting and no shipping notice, yet (I did not back the game but preordered July 24).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sighlance wrote:
Anyone in Germany received their copy? Still waiting and no shipping notice, yet (I did not back the game but preordered July 24).

Hello Markus, I apologize about the delay. I have contacted Spiral Galaxy Games and I copied you on the email. We should have a reply back sometime early next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.