4 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign Mode Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bunyan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just supported this game on Kickstarter and it looks great! I'm excited for when it comes out. I do have two questions:

1) How prominent is the area control aspect of this game? Has it ever felt like it pulls away from the story aspect of the game?

2) What carries over from one campaign game to the next? Just characters, EXP, and talents?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for backing!

1) The area control aspect is pretty prominent (as one of the main ways players gain points), but I wouldn't say that it pulls away from the story aspect.

You'll often run into quests while out on the map building camps, and many quests give faction banners as rewards (which help you control factions, and therefore, camps and trade routes).

The factions all have their own distinct values, and choosing story options in line with those values will increase your chances of getting a banner of that faction. So the story elements are pretty tied into the area control elements.

2) Characters, EXP, talents, and story information! If you've picked up a side quest or a key word, you'll carry it with you into the next game. In Story Mode, the story elements are even more prominently carried through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonel_S wrote:
1) How prominent is the area control aspect of this game? Has it ever felt like it pulls away from the story aspect of the game?

Kind of a related question, but is this game really area control or is it network building? When I read the rulebook, I get more of an Airlines Europa vibe than I do an El Grande vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Colonel_S wrote:

Kind of a related question, but is this game really area control or is it network building? When I read the rulebook, I get more of an Airlines Europa vibe than I do an El Grande vibe.

On the surface it feels like network-building, but the points come from controlling the 4 factions (which is technically "area control"). I suppose it is a mix of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.