Subject: TOS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this worth it if you only really watched/liked TOS?

thanks for helping me out :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Is this worth it if you only really watched/liked TOS?

thanks for helping me out :-)

Ascendancy doesn't concern itself with any specific point in history. There will be content and references from throughout Trek's different eras. The base game comes with Federation, Klingons, and Romulans as the playable factions, and all of those are from the original series. Your interest in the various expansions might vary depending on which series they originate from. But to be honest, the vast majority of Trek's lore comes from outside of TOS.

The more important question is whether you enjoy 4X games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should definitely watch TNG and DS9, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game draws from all star trek content, so part of the flavour is from TOS, but lots is also from all other series/films.

the ship miniatures use TNG/DS9 ship models.

that being said, the game itself isnt about reliving a given period, but rather an overarching strategy that taps into the different parts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
They've also said Andorrians will be a faction, which is squarely in the Enterprise/TOS part of Trek lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
They've also said Andorrians will be a faction, which is squarely in the Enterprise/TOS part of Trek lore.

In fact, there's a whole other thread around here somewhere where we talk about why the andorians shouldn't be their own faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

In fact, there's a whole other thread around here somewhere where we talk about why the andorians shouldn't be their own faction.

And arguing why they should, lol.
The bottom line is that they were only mentioned as a possible faction but not confirmed.

To answer the OP, yeah, it's worth it! It's really just skinned by the different species and the little bit you got about the Roms and Kilngs during TOS was enough to get their personalities.

I have a friend that only watched TOS and a few other episodes here and there and he is excited to play this with me! Whenever he has a question he just asks and I give him the run down on whatever it is!
The games are a great doorway for getting people into the larger trek universe!
Also, I suspect that they will do reskinned pieces, consoles, and cards for the different faction into the TOS era designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.